Linux Kodi crashes and after that audio outputs disappear
Hi all,

I have a problem since months to get kodi working for more than 1 day in a row...tried several things, but nothing works for longer than a few hours...
After switching from kodi v15 from package manager I used the overlay from user 'herrnst' (https://github.com/herrnst/gentoo-kodi-overlay) with kodi 17 alpha...but issues still exist.

The problem is:
If videos start playing, they start absolutely fine, without any issues.
But sometimes directly after kodi start or maybe after playing 2-3 files only the video starts, there is no sound, and after 2-3 seconds of video playing the video freezes.
If I hit the stop-button it lasts about 3-4 seconds (with freezed video) until I get back to menu (usually this lasts half a second),
but after that stop the HDMI output 2 and the analog output completely disappear from kodi audio settings.

I am using ALSA only (no pulseaudio) and my intel HW has three HDMI outputs, the one I have to use is HDMI2.
After crash there are only HDMI0 and HDMI1 listed, but no HDMI2 anymore.
Restarting kodi doesn't change anything.
Restarting alsa service let the HDMI2 and analog output appear again...but it is not working until I completely reboot the machine.
This is quite weird, I never had any problem before, where a reboot changed anything on a linux machine.

So it looks like the video playback crashes alsa completely...
I tried to use passthrough, to use not, tried 2.0/5.1/7.1 speaker setup, tried sound output set to optimized/fixed, tried to use "sync to display", to use not, enable/disable vsync, enable/disable vaapi, custom or no alsa.conf...no changes, the problem still exists.

Though the machine where kodi is running is a fileserver it is not possible to always restart the box (especially if women use kodi Wink

It is quite hard to get a debug log for this behaviour, because the problem is not showing up on a certain file or a certain sequence,
so maybe debug mode is activated for hours without any issue...here I have a "normal" log, maybe it helps though?

kodi.log
http://pastebin.com/8JMGdYdi

thanks for any input
noone has an idea what's this lines about?

Code:
WARNING: COutput::QueueReturnPicture - pic not found
WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player)::Put MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
ERROR: RenderManager::CreateRenderer: failed to create renderer

?
(2016-01-18, 21:10)tausche Wrote: noone has an idea what's this lines about?

Code:
WARNING: COutput::QueueReturnPicture - pic not found
WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player)::Put MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
ERROR: RenderManager::CreateRenderer: failed to create renderer

?

Nope...cuz its not a debug_log (wiki). Post a full debug log please

Cheers!
thx for answering.
I know how to attach a debug-log, the problem is getting it as I wrote.
I try catching the moment...but watching videos the entirely evening with the debug info always showing on the screen is a bit annoying if the error doesn't show up this day...

On second I have a plasma TV which also doesn't like to print same content with high contrast always on same position, like the debug info is.
Is it possible to hide the debug-output while watching video?
Read the advanced section of the link provided for info how to hide debugging on screen text.
thanks, is the debug log still valid if I change the loglevel-Tag to '1'?

I am asking because in the link it says:
Code:
<loglevel>2</loglevel> <!-- Change this to "1" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
but after changing to 1 the debug log text still appears on screen.

changing
Code:
<showloginfo>true</showloginfo>
to false let it disappear, so it seems to me there are two different tags for same behaviour?
IN the log i look for this

Code:
20:27:53 T:140599712217024  NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.
20:27:53 T:140599712217024  NOTICE: Log level changed to "LOG_LEVEL_NORMAL"

If it says anything other then Level 0 ( i think level 2) then debug is enabled. So check the log to make sure your getting entries that also say DEBUG

Cheers!
I got a lot of debug output (14 thousand lines) but there is no line saying the output you showed me.
But in case of the high number of lines in the log it seems to be ok.

bg
today I tested this a bit
now the problem has changed slightly...
video is working, but no sound.

after i got into settings, I saw that refresh rate changed, from 1920x1080@60Hz to 25Hz.
If putting that refresh rate to 60Hz again, also the audio is working, but only a few seconds.

I noticed this jumpback of the refresh rate to 50 or 25Hz quite often and do not know where it comes from,
maybe it has something to do with the reported resolution from TV, the 1920x1080i@25Hz is the first one reported (which is also used while booting, until start of X with 1920x1080@60Hz)

here i got some debug log:
http://pastebin.com/6GBKnQQL

thanks in advance
error did change slightly...audio outputs are not disappearing anymore...bu the behaviour is still the same.

this time directly after kodi start I tried a video file, video is playing but no sound.
after 2-3 seconds video freezes.

here's the log:
http://pastebin.com/wrXkjFpy

ANY help is highly appreciated...thanks
no idea?
Try with ubuntu or openelec, gentoo isnt a supported distro.
right...I see.

It is definitely no option to change the entire operating system which works for over 10 years on a file-/webserver only because one app does not work 100% correctly...
...gentoo is highly configurable, so I would be surprised if it isn't possible to ship around the problem with a bit of help?
I understand that, but because it isn't a official build only the person who built it knows how it was built. Same goes for arch and debian.

Maybe ask on the issue tracker of the overlay youre using or on the gentoo forums.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi crashes and after that audio outputs disappear0