Samba client transfer very slow/capped when behind OpenVPN
Hi,

The question is about Kodi on Mac OS X, but before I get to the question I will describe my setup first. I have a Raspberry Pi 2 (Raspbian Jessie) running two things - OpenVPN server and Samba server. My typical use case is that I connect to the OpenVPN server with an OpenVPN client computer, access the samba server share with a samba client and transfer files from the server to the client computer. I must note that the Raspberry Pi is connected to a fiber optics network via ethernet and has download/upload speeds of 100 Mbits (=12.5 MBs). When I connect to the server with an OpenVPN client, which is also connected to a fast network, then the speedtest throughtput is around 60Mbit/s, hence the OpenVPN server is pretty fast.

The reality is that my OpenVPN client computer is a Macbook running OS X El Capitan and Kodi 15.2. It is connected to a network capable of 25 Mbits down and 1 Mbits up. When I connect to my OpenVPN server and do a basic http download speedtest the download speed is 25 Mbit/s (=3.125 MB/s) - as expected. Also, when I connect to the Samba share via OS X Finder and transfer a file from the server, the download speed is also around 3 MB/s - as expected.

The issue is that when I connect to the Samba share via Kodi 15.2 and try to watch (effectively stream) a video with 2500Kbit/s bitrate, it stutters, stalls and is not watchable. Even more, when I copy a file from the Samba server to my Macbook via the Kodi 15.2 File Manager, the speed shown at the top of screen is only 500 Kbit/s (it seems that it is kind of capped). Actually, I have a second Raspberry Pi 2 that I use as a media center at the same location as MacBook and I experience the exact same issue - an OpenVPN http speedtest and normal samba file transfer is 3MB/s, but a Samba transfer via Kodi is capped at 500Kbit/s. I have to add that the Kodi samba client will reach a speed of around 5.6 MB/s when transfering files from local network without OpenVPN.

Hence, I assume that the issue lies not within OpenVPN, MacOSX, Raspberry Pi, or Rasbian, but specifically Kodi. Can someone please help me to do something about the slow speed (allegedly 500Kbit/s speed cap)? I am willing to provide any logs necessary, please let me know which ones are needed.

Thank you!

Please, anyone?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Samba client transfer very slow/capped when behind OpenVPN0