[RFC] reducing the amount of skin xml files
(2016-01-25, 02:46)Rjsachse Wrote: The other thing is if this goes ahead, can skinning manual be updated to explain xml's and there function and how to find it within a skin.

agreed, the wiki should provide some info on how to test each window/dialog in your skin.
i'll add it to my to-do list
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
How is the list to select information provider handled for DialogContentSettings now?
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
There is no list; instead it's a button that open DialogSelect.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=250862
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2016-01-28, 10:53)Hitcher Wrote: There is no list; instead it's a button that open DialogSelect.
Ah that is an excellent solution!
I have sort of merged DialogSeekBar.xml and DialogVideoInfo.xml in aeon mq 6 to use 1 custom xml with great success so maybe those 2 could be merged?

In aeon mq6 those 2 dialogs are almost identical thats why I merged it to 1 xml with visible tags
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi

Don't forget the Thank User button if i have helped!
|
V
Are you sure you've got the right dialogs there? One is only used when playing videos in fullscreen and the other is for displaying the info of a video in a list.
Ronie,

here's one that has bugged me since addons where first added to XBMC. Why oh why in the wide, wide world of sports does a user have to click OK in addon settings screens before the changes they made are accepted. Normal settings in Kodi and for skins are effective as soon as the change is made by the user, but settings for addons need the user to remember to click OK otherwise all of their changes are lost. I can't say how many times I have been caught trying to figure out why a setting has appeared to not have any effect in the addon before realising that I forgot to hit OK.

So could you work your magic and fold addonsettings.xml into settings.xml and drop the OK and Cancel buttons. The Defaults button could be handled the same way the functionality is handled in settings.xml. That is adding a setting item to the end of the list for restore settings to defaults.

Thanks mate,
Wyrm
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
i think it is because addons listen for (and react to) settings changed notifications.

for instance, the weather addon will re-download weather info after you've changed the weather addon settings.
now you don't want the addon to download the weather 10 times within a minute when you're just changing some settings.

so making a setting instantly active after it was changed is probably a no-go.

what would make sense (and make the ok button obsolete) is to save the addon settings when you close the dialog.
(2016-01-29, 22:55)ronie Wrote: what would make sense (and make the ok button obsolete) is to save the addon settings when you close the dialog.

closing cancels the action as is the same with the confirm dialog. So you the expectation is that you need to confirm the changes. Option would be to ask if he wants to exit without saving.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
yeah, was having second thoughts myself as well.

it might not be clear to a user how to apply the settings changes (since they don't apply automatically) if there's no ok button in the dialog.
(2016-01-29, 09:07)Hitcher Wrote: Are you sure you've got the right dialogs there? One is only used when playing videos in fullscreen and the other is for displaying the info of a video in a list.
Oh what a dick I am, yes you are right the 2 xmls are DialogSeekBar.xml and DialogFullScreenInfo.xml
Not! DialogVideoInfo.xml
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi

Don't forget the Thank User button if i have helped!
|
V
(2016-01-29, 23:36)Martijn Wrote:
(2016-01-29, 22:55)ronie Wrote: what would make sense (and make the ok button obsolete) is to save the addon settings when you close the dialog.

closing cancels the action as is the same with the confirm dialog. So you the expectation is that you need to confirm the changes. Option would be to ask if he wants to exit without saving.
In this case, shouldn't "ok" be changed to "apply changes" or something along those lines. By the same argument presented here, it is not clear to a user that you need to apply the changes before closing the screen - to need to do so is entirely different behaviour to most of the other settings windows and therefore is unexpected. A pop up yes/no asking if they want to close without saving goes some way, but it is still not clear that ok actually saves/applies the changes made.

I've done this myself many times and sat there wondering why my addon settings weren't sticking only to realise I simply hadn't hit ok.
Why? In many, many, many programs there's an ok button next to the apply button. Ok saves and closes while apply saves and keeps it open. Closing it with hitting those buttons will always cancel any changes
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I would also prefer to get rid of the OK button and always auto-save. it feels inconsistent compared to kodi core settings.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RFC] reducing the amount of skin xml files1