Acer IR Remote Control with a Generic IR Receiver
Hello, I was wondering if someone could tell me know if it's possible to program an Acer IR remote control with a generic IR receiver with my OpenELEC/Kodi setup? When I press the buttons I can see the IR receiver lighting up, so it seems to recognize the remote, but nothing happens on the screen. I also tried using the key mapper add-on as well, but it doesn't pick up the key presses.

This is the Acer remote with keyboard and IR receiver that I bought off eBay.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Thread moved to hardware, where it may get more support.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
The IR remote receiver looks like a USB RC6 remote (and says it is). That should work with any RC6 remote (but not other flavours)

MC6 USB IR receivers LEDs usually just flash when they detect any IR remote activity - it isn't a sign of compatibility - just that IR light at the right frequency range(-ish) is hitting the sensor.

The Acer IR remote with Keyboard has a Windows MCE logo on it - which would suggest it should be RC6 compatible - but may not guarantee it.

Two things I'd suggest :

1. If you have a One4All or Harmony or similar universal remote - load a Windows Media Centre (or Xbox 360 Media) remote control layout into it and see if that works with the USB IR receiver you have. (That will confirm the IR receiver is working properly) If you then want to keep the receiver then you will need to use a RC6 remote control (or a universal remote with an RC6 output)

2. If you have a friend with a working RC6 set-up (i.e. using a standard Media Center remote control and USB dongle or internal IR receiver) try using the Acer Remote with that. This will confirm that the Acer remote is using RC6 - but not compatible with your receiver?

My gut feeling is that the Acer remote may not be RC6 (that's the IR standard used for Official Microsoft Media Center-compatible remotes) because of the keyboard (there was an IR keyboard standard for the relatively short-lived official Media Center keyboard I think though).

I suspect the easiest way of getting the remote to work would be swapping out the IR receiver for a programmable receiver like a FLIRC (and which a quick google confirms is compatible with that keyboard/remote's IR flavour)

I may, of course, be completely wrong.
It's probably using the MCE Keyboard profile and isn't enabled in OpenELEC. Try running:
Code:
echo +mce_kbd > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols
in a ssh session.

Some threads to look at:
https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/356
http://openelec.tv/forum/103-infared-rem...e-keyboard
(2016-01-21, 04:07)miztermike Wrote: Hello, I was wondering if someone could tell me know if it's possible to program an Acer IR remote control with a generic IR receiver with my OpenELEC/Kodi setup? When I press the buttons I can see the IR receiver lighting up, so it seems to recognize the remote, but nothing happens on the screen. I also tried using the key mapper add-on as well, but it doesn't pick up the key presses.

This is the Acer remote with keyboard and IR receiver that I bought off eBay.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

This looks like a really cool remote. I did not know there were any WMC remotes out there with full keyboards.

Any of the keys programmable? I would love to be able to use this to turn my TV on and OFF. If you can post pictures of USB receiver, that would be great.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer IR Remote Control with a Generic IR Receiver0