Video OSD always within video frame? (for projector screen masking)
Question 
Hey guys,

When viewing 2.35 content at a 16:9 resolution the content has black bars on the top and bottom. With a projector these black bars can be masked off: instead of projecting the black bars onto a white screen the top and bottom of the screen are covered by a black material that reflects no light (see http://www.carada.com/masquerade-masking-system.aspx for an example).

Many (most? all?) XBMC skins align the video OSD to the top and bottom of the screen. This means that if the black bars are masked off then the OSD is projected onto the masking and thus invisible.

I would like to make a skin (or modify one) so that the OSD is always aligned to the top and bottom of the video frame, not the top and bottom of the screen. For full screen content they'd be on the edge of the screen but for any content with black bars they would be aligned to the edges of the black bars. Is this possible with the Kodi skinning engine?

If not my backup idea would be a skin setting which has OSD location presets for different aspect ratio content and then use an addon to automatically change the setting when different aspect ratio content is played. This sounds a lot more kludgy but I'm reasonably certain it'd be possible (correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway I've never made a skin so I'd like to know if what I'm attempting is even possible before I invest too much energy into figuring out how to do it :0) Thanks.

watch gallery
Not sure if it fits the bill but are you looking for something like this?

If it is similar then checking out the changes made might help you fine tune it to what your are looking to do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video OSD always within video frame? (for projector screen masking)0