How Kodi timer and NextPVR Schedule works?
NextPVR Schedule works?

Just using Kodi 15.2 with NextPVR 3.6.6 for a couple weeks, I have a question regarding how timer and scheduling works between Kodi and NextPVR.

If I setup to record a series of TV shows in NextPVR, the Kodi TV Timer will not mark the program being scheduled. But the TV shows will record.
If I setup to record a series of TV shows in Kodi, the NextPVR schedule will only mark the program being scheduled to record once. But the TV series seemed to be recorded every time even when Kodi is not running.
If I setup a timer to record a TV show one time in Kodi, the NextPVR will not mark the program being scheduled to record.

Here is some of my observation which is confusing to me. I just want to make sure I understand how the timer and recording works between Kodi and NextPVR.

Which is the best way (Kodi or NextPVR) to setup recording for series of TV shows?

Thanks.
(2016-01-23, 06:22)owtalk Wrote: Which is the best way (Kodi or NextPVR) to setup recording for series of TV shows?
You can schedule them in either NextPVR or Kodi.

If you're using the Kodi front end, you're best to use Kodi 16 or higher, since this is when they introduced native support for series recordings etc. (There was a custom screen for this in default Confluence screen in earlier versions of Kodi, but Kodi 16 greatly improves things)
I am using the stable release of Kodi v16 and NextPVR 3.6.6. Everything works well, but I am unsure of how to setup a series recording straight from the EPG. I am able to set a repeating timer (keyword) but nothing straight from the EPG that would allow me to do a series recording of new episodes. Can someone shed some light on how to do this with the new version of Kodi? I am using the Confluence skin as well. Thanks!
(2016-02-21, 22:25)rogbott Wrote: I am using the stable release of Kodi v16 and NextPVR 3.6.6. Everything works well, but I am unsure of how to setup a series recording straight from the EPG. I am able to set a repeating timer (keyword) but nothing straight from the EPG that would allow me to do a series recording of new episodes. Can someone shed some light on how to do this with the new version of Kodi? I am using the Confluence skin as well. Thanks!

If you go to the Kodi settings and then TV -> Recording, there is an option called prevent duplicate episodes that you can set. The description for that setting says it isn't supported for all addons, so I'm not sure if the NextPVR one supports that. It also appears to be all or nothing, so if you want to do a mix you'll probably have to set the setting the way you do it most often and then setup the other recordings from NextPVR (or use X-NEWA to schedule that recording in Kodi).
Thanks. I think the vast majority of the time I am recording new episodes so this should work. Hopefully nextpvr supports it. It would be great if there as a field in the EPG recording section to cover this use case. Thanks for your help!
Yea, so I don't think that setting in Kodi does anything, or at least not for me. I set it to record new episodes only, but in NextPVR the recurring recording showed up as all episodes. I'm resorting to either use XNEWA or NPVR directly to schedule recordings, as the new Jarvis recording interface seems to be a step backwards for me.
(2016-02-21, 22:25)rogbott Wrote: I am using the stable release of Kodi v16 and NextPVR 3.6.6. Everything works well, but I am unsure of how to setup a series recording straight from the EPG. I am able to set a repeating timer (keyword) but nothing straight from the EPG that would allow me to do a series recording of new episodes. Can someone shed some light on how to do this with the new version of Kodi? I am using the Confluence skin as well. Thanks!

Doesn't open EPG -> select an entry -> open entry's context menu -> select "add timer" -> make your choices in the timer settings dialog -> ok ... work for you?
(2016-02-23, 03:10)pkscout Wrote: Yea, so I don't think that setting in Kodi does anything, or at least not for me. I set it to record new episodes only, but in NextPVR the recurring recording showed up as all episodes. I'm resorting to either use XNEWA or NPVR directly to schedule recordings, as the new Jarvis recording interface seems to be a step backwards for me.

This seems to be a bug in the nextpvr client add-on, not in Kodi core.

BTW: what I do not understand is why you claim the whole new interface bad just because of one bug? Sounds kinda unfair given the amount of work spent to implement this and many new features and improvements for recording and lot of positive feedback otherwise.
Thanks. I was able to do that, but after selecting "add timer", the next screen shows the timer settings dialogue but no way to choose only new episodes. So if I choose a show, won't it record all the episodes of that show both reruns and new?
I'm not using nextpvr, but can tell you this works fine with tvheadend.

In the timer settings dialog, have you played with the available timer types? Is there really no type for a recurring timer available that lets you choose to record only episodes? It could be the case that you must scroll down a bit in the dialog to see it.
Thanks- If I change the timer type to "Recurring (keyword) then I do see an additional field that allows me to choose only new recordings. Any other "recurring" setting doesn't have that field. However, the only issue (and I think sub knows) is that when adding the keyword it adds the %20% for a space in the title which is something he is working out in the next version. It is interesting that the "Recurring (keyword)" includes that field for new recordings and "Recurring (guide)" doesn't have it.
Okay. Cannot help any further, sorry. I "only" implemented the Kodi core for the new recording stuff and related tvheadend add-on functionality. Maybe @sub3 can comment on the nextpvr specific parts.
No problem. Thanks for helping sort this out. The recurring timers for all episodes work just fine. It is only doing a series recording with only new episodes that I am struggling with.
Yeah and I fear that this is a bug in the nextpvr add-on. If so, let's hope that @sub3 is able to fix this soon.
(2016-02-23, 09:09)ksooo Wrote:
(2016-02-23, 03:10)pkscout Wrote: Yea, so I don't think that setting in Kodi does anything, or at least not for me. I set it to record new episodes only, but in NextPVR the recurring recording showed up as all episodes. I'm resorting to either use XNEWA or NPVR directly to schedule recordings, as the new Jarvis recording interface seems to be a step backwards for me.
BTW: what I do not understand is why you claim the whole new interface bad just because of one bug? Sounds kinda unfair given the amount of work spent to implement this and many new features and improvements for recording and lot of positive feedback otherwise.
He's not slamming the new PVR functionality - he's just saying old custom popup the NextPVR addon used to provide was more straight for setting up recurring recordings in NextPVR.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How Kodi timer and NextPVR Schedule works?0