Sound and screen overflow problems
I'm trying to get Kodi 15 working a front end on a Mythbuntu installation of Ubuntu 14.04 Mythtv 0.27.5, as Kodi is nicer front end. Both are installed on the same M/c. The 'screen' is a Sony KDL TV connected by HDMI. It basically works but I have two specific problems:

1. The screen. The TV overscans and 1-2" on each side of the viewport are off the screen - there's no TV setup option to stop that. On the Linux desktop itself I've got round that by setting up an X server overscan of 70 pixels. If Kodi is set to run in a window that works OK because it's handled by the nVidia X Server settings, but if it runs full screen it overflows. I've tried altering the windows size to -10% in Kodi appearance settings but it doesn't put it in the right place.

2. Sound. There isn't any. I've tried all the audio output options under Kodi system settings, but still no sound. The Mythtv front end does produce sound OK.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The latter is obviously a bit of a showstopper.

Just found sound is coming out - of the analogue line out. How do I direct it to HDMI. I appear to have no sound settings GUI.
Hi,

First enable advanced settings: choose settings style as "Advanced or expert" on the bottom of setting options.

For question 1: Kodi has a setup screen to manage overscan: goto to settings->system->video output->calibration. Therefore, no need to use nvidia settings.

For question2: if you have enable Advanced or expert settings, you ll be able to find the setup for digital audio: goto to settings->system->audio output

br

Update: but having lot of audio output types in my mediacenter, my digital audio setup was a nightmare for me Wink. Good luck.
(2016-01-24, 19:30)janbar Wrote: Kodi has a setup screen to manage overscan: goto to settings->system->video output->calibration. Therefore, no need to use nvidia settings.

Thanks and sorry for the delay. I had / have again tried that to no avail. Firstly it only seems to affect the image size of the actual playing video when displayed full screen, not the other Kodi screens when not displaying a video, and secondly, for whatever reason I could not grab the bottom right handle, only the top left.

Maybe I've misunderstood how to use it.

My mistake, got it to work, video calibration is fine now. My mistake was trying to use a mouse to do it, keyboard much better.

Also managed to get audio out of the right port, but not quite sure how ....

Spoke too soon: video calibration is fine until one comes out of Kodi, at which point all the X Server settings for the Ubuntu desktop are screwed up (end up with a overscanned desktop that pans, but with blank areas that never fill in). Go back into Kodi and it's no better. Needs a reboot or to reapply the X server settings, which have clearly been trashed when in full screen mode.

I could put Kodi in a script to run it with a command after it to reload the X settings - if I knew what command to use. I did try 'sudo service lightdm restart' (from a Ubuntu forum) but the screen goes completely blank and I have to reboot the m/c. Can anyone advise how to get around the whole problem - either not losing the X settings, or getting them back?
Are you sure your sony doesn't have an option to turn overscan off? I had one nearly 10 years ago that did!

These are the instructions I found then, they are still the number 2 link on google:

Quote:On the Bravia I selected HOME > Settings > Setup > Screen Settings > Display Area

It was set to NORMAL
I changed it to FULL PIXEL
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-02-01, 10:16)nickr Wrote: Are you sure your sony doesn't have an option to turn overscan off? I had one nearly 10 years ago that did!
Sadly not, looked everywhere. Mine makes yours look quite new, however.

However solved it (for nVidia) by finding the right commands to put in a script that starts Kodi - see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2311819.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound and screen overflow problems0