v15 Decisions to make
Star 
Hi,

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with Windows Media Player and an AverMedia dual tuner H797 Card. My number one reason for this setup is to record from my Uverse set top and also my over-the-air Antennaes. I typically record things I regard as keepsakes or things I might be very interested in keeping long term. I have had my Uverse receivers taken away due to issues and then you lose your recordings.

Just yesterday I seemed to have issues with the TV Guide not updating (I only boot this thing on occasion) and then WMC seemed to not find the tuner card and I had to re-install it. As of right now I don't have the full functionality but some of that has to do with my son being on the TV a long time playing Xbox.

In any event.....I am starting to wonder if I should start moving away from WMC. Microsoft isn't doing any development on it and I wonder if issues like getting the guide is going to be more and more pravalent as time goes on.

I am researching this and it appears that Kodi is pretty popular. However, it also seems like it cannot be a PVR by itself ? I have to have Media Portal on the machine too ? If that is the case then why wouldn't I just use Media Portal ?

I do see forums saying that Media Portal isn't that great. Their site looks nice. It appears the two companies might be the front runners ?

Like I said, number one is to perform a recording when needed. I do like the cataloging of pictures, video, and music. Streaming to other computers is cool. I especially like plugins and addons for Internet TV and other cool things.

Either that or should I just keep WMC ? I have had the TV Guide/Catalog go corrupt on me. I don't think this is the first time the Tuner went missing and I had to re-install the tuner card. This stuff hasn't happened that often. I do like WMC. I don't have serious plans to go to Windows 10 but then I am a Microsoft Partner so I can do that anytime.

I look forward to getting people's inputs ! Thanks in advance for your assistance. Big Grin
if you're prepared to change os, then mythtv is very hard to beat as a pvr bsckend.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Decisions to make0