Why is my keyboard letters mapped to hotkeys?
Whenever I try to type letters on my Rasperry Pi, I get shortcuts popping up instead of letters. This happens for any keyboard I plugin. For example, the letters "s" I believe popped up the power options to shut down Kodi, reboot the system, shutdown the system, etc.

Can anyone tell me what's causing this?

Thanks!
Poor design probably?
Have you messed around with any remotes or key mappings?

Which keyboard hardware items have you tried?

Gather, upload and post a debug log (wiki) of a typical test showing the issue.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Is this happening when entering text? Of using letters to jump through a list? If it's the latter hold shift while typing the letter.
What distribution? It should be fine with OpenELEC/OSMC.
I believe incorrect permissions on a raspbian install may cause keyboard issues like this.
I am using the Raspbian OS for this. It has worked on my other installations, just not this one for some reason.

I've been using iPazzPort remote for this, but I've tried other keyboards as well and ended up with the same issue. This is only happening inside of Kodi though, it works fine everywhere else. I'll try holding shift as suggested, thanks
Have you checked thekodi wiki - there are quite a few letters defined as controls.
see here
Derek
How are you launching kodi?

If I launch kodi from ssh I find the "s" key in a text entry dialog brings up the shutdown menu.
If I launch kodi from the keyboard I find the "s" key in a text entry dialog acts as the letter "s" being typed.
Interesting, thanks dandnsmith. I see now that those keymaps are the default when you don't have a window open to type with in Kodi, I didn't realize that. On my other Kodi installations "s" does map to the shutdown window, but when I pull up a window I need to type something on, the keyboard acts as normal. On this specific device, my keyboard stays stuck in that shortcut key mapping. Looks like it's not responding as it should when a window pops up to type. I might try reinstalling Kodi and see if that helps.

popcornmix, I am opening Kodi from the Sound & Video section on my Raspberry Pi in the GUI
Hi
I've got the same issue. For example when I open Youtube plugin Search dialogue the virtual keyboard appears. It's OK. But if I press 'X' key on my hardware keyboard connected to the Pi the video running on the background is stopped instead of the 'X' letter is written into the dialogue. 'S' key shutdowns Kodi etc.

My configuration:
Clean installation of Raspbian 4.1.13-v7+
Kodi 15.2
Hardware keyboard Logitech K400

No X server is running.
My HW keyboard works perfectly in console. The only problem is this Kodi 'keyboard' window.

I'm running Kodi as a service under 'Kodi' account.

User Kodi is a member of these groups:
cat /etc/group | grep kodi
tty:x:5:kodi
dialout:x:20:pi,kodi
audio:x:29:pi,kodi,pulse
video:x:44:pi,kodi
plugdev:x:46:pi,kodi
input:x:101:pi,kodi
bluetooth:x:115:kodi
Hi again
I've found a solution which works (at least to me)!

Add this row to /etc/rc.local

chmod 0770 /dev/tty0

Source: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221325
Solution?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why is my keyboard letters mapped to hotkeys?1