h264 Hi10p
(2016-02-04, 04:13)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Why would a set top box with no power source other than AC have any power setting other than 'Max Performance' on the CPU? It's like a 35w device. o.O

energy conservation?

product longevity?

why else would you think?
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2016-02-04, 04:13)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Why would a set top box with no power source other than AC have any power setting other than 'Max Performance' on the CPU? It's like a 35w device. o.O

As noted, they say it might increase fan noise. The Shield TV has a tiny little fan that sometimes kicks on.
(2016-02-03, 21:08)Ned Scott Wrote: Okay, I think I see what it might be. There's a power saving setting on the Shield that I have set to full.

Android TV home screen -> Settings -> Device -> System -> Processor mode -> Max performance

This might be what is "sleeping" the other CPU cores? I'm not sure how all that works, but it's the only thing that I can think of that might be different on my Shield. The setting warns that this might increase the fan noise, but I've never noticed it when playing video. Only when playing games like Half Life 2.

I shall test this in a bit Big Grin. Thanks for this tip.
(2016-02-02, 20:32)Ned Scott Wrote: I don't think it works like that. Plus, I've never had to do that and Kodi is always able to use all of the CPU cores.

You sure you ALWAYS have CPU3 in Kodi's stats?
This basically never happened to me. Of course I am using the max performance setting from the beginning.

Real life tests also have shown significant performance increases by enabling all cores. Kodi is now able to decode higher bitrate (>20Mbps) and higher framerate (30fps) hi10p contents, which used to cause a lot of slowdown and framedrop.
If you mean the codec info (wiki) window, then I wouldn't trust what it says. It's not always a reliable indicator.

I've tried a bunch of videos now, and none of them have had any issues playing.
(2016-02-06, 03:18)Ned Scott Wrote: If you mean the codec info (wiki) window, then I wouldn't trust what it says. It's not always a reliable indicator.

No issues with playing anything with 16rc3 now. The codecinfo window never had any problems before but recently ive been seeing all 4 cores.

BTW allready had the thing set to max performance :p.
(2016-02-06, 03:18)Ned Scott Wrote: If you mean the codec info (wiki) window, then I wouldn't trust what it says. It's not always a reliable indicator.

I have done quite a lot real life tests and the performance increase after "seeing" all four cores is undeniably real and significant.
Here is a sample video that lags horribly with just two or three cores but works fine with all four cores:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8VIgU2...sp=sharing
I believe you, but that's just a heads up that the codecinfo window reports funny information sometimes, or the context of that information might be different for a platform like Android. In this case it might be working correctly, though ;)
Ok, so... the first Rockchip RK3229 boxes are available. Yes, they run Android 4.4, but still, they are only $30, and supposed to be able to play HEVC and Hi10P h264. Has anyone ordered one? It would be interesting to find out what it actually can do, if it can play back those files in Kodi, if it does 3D properly, etc. Maybe I'll do it, but the time it takes to ship here...
I've received one MXQ 4K (Rockchip RK3229) last friday. I haven't unboxed it yet, because i've no priority for it at the moment. Other things to do.

Bought it for $ 20,00 with a voucher.
(2016-02-15, 17:12)Morris Wrote: I've received one MXQ 4K (Rockchip RK3229) last friday. I haven't unboxed it yet, because i've no priority for it at the moment. Other things to do.

Please let us know your findings, once you try it. Unfortunately once that box reaches me it's probably twice the price... and I'd at least like to see some confirmation that it boots and works, kind of. Especially the Hi10p part, cause if it doesn't work for me I can at least give it to my mother.
(2016-02-15, 22:35)kadajawi Wrote:
(2016-02-15, 17:12)Morris Wrote: I've received one MXQ 4K (Rockchip RK3229) last friday. I haven't unboxed it yet, because i've no priority for it at the moment. Other things to do.

Please let us know your findings, once you try it. Unfortunately once that box reaches me it's probably twice the price... and I'd at least like to see some confirmation that it boots and works, kind of. Especially the Hi10p part, cause if it doesn't work for me I can at least give it to my mother.

Tested it today, the MXQ-4K RK3229 is pretty fast fast it's price. I've found one problem, when you put the system off or in standby, it wouldn't turn on with the remote. You must switch the power circuit. I've not test the Hi10p specific yet.
Cool, thanks. The power issue is an issue, but I could live with that. I wonder if those boxes are ever updated, and if Hi10p etc. will also work with Kodi from the Play Store...
Any updates? Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
h264 Hi10p0