v16 Jarvis RC1. Blank screen on startup
Using the new Jarvis RC1 release whenever I start Kodi fullscreen it just displays a blank screen. Just before the blank screen it flashes the desktop and a Kodi not responding dialogue. Then quickly white followed by black.

Windowed mode is ok.

Windowed mode to full screen is ok.

It's just loading straight into a full screen when the problem occurs.

I have tried an older intel HD 4600 driver http://pastebin.com/U6aWcDKZ

and a new intel HD 4600 driver. http://pastebin.com/cCbrucXN

Both have the same symptoms.

Have attached pastebin logs. If there is any special component I need to log please let me know and I can try again.

EDIT: a video https://gfycat.com/WideeyedAdorableCommongonolek
EDIT 2: Usually only happens after a boot up. Once the error occurred Kodi runs without problems the subsequent times

Thanks for any advice
Doug
Looks like you've answered your own issue
Quote:Windowed mode is ok. Windowed mode to full screen is ok.
it's not Kodi it's your graphic hardware. If you've fiddled with all the video settings, then the conclusion is to try different drivers or perhaps a non dx11 build. The suggestion I'd make and you'll not like is 'new' hardware, but perhaps others will offer a solve that isn't as obvious.
Looks like a driver issue. First time for full screen application driver "silently" switch to windowed mode (DXGI_STATUS_OCCLUDED occurs right after Kodi switches to full screen) that broke the rendering at all for full screen application. Try to start with windowed mode then switch to true fullscreen.
(2016-01-27, 17:01)PatK Wrote: Looks like you've answered your own issue
Quote:Windowed mode is ok. Windowed mode to full screen is ok.
it's not Kodi it's your graphic hardware. If you've fiddled with all the video settings, then the conclusion is to try different drivers or perhaps a non dx11 build. The suggestion I'd make and you'll not like is 'new' hardware, but perhaps others will offer a solve that isn't as obvious.

I don't think my hardware is that old. It is an i5-4570S Haswell running on a Intel H87 microexpress chipset. I especially built it for Kodi as it's low powered, but hopefully sufficient for playing videos. It's not some dusty dual core I had knocking about. I take your point about the drivers. I am only using the intel graphics to keep things minimal so I can keep the system as cool and fanless as possible.

Booting to windowed and then changing the settings is not a solution either since the media PC sits under my tv and is used by the family. It does not routinely have a keyboard or mouse attached and is purely remote control driven. It need to be as simple as possible and boot straight to fullscreen.

I have reluctantly rolled back to 15.2 which works fine. I'll try again when new intel drivers are out.

Thanks
Doug
I guess the word I should have used was 'different' rather than 'new', didn't mean to offend. In your first post you mentioned that you tried an older driver, and I guess I jumped on that as legacy issues with equipment. Over the years the Intel 'on chip' graphics has had issues with some users and in this case, I do not have that chipset nor any experience with it. I've always used a separate graphic card with independent drivers and on occasion they have had their issues too. It's only recently that these kind of problems have started to come around again and one wonders where the source of this issue is. Your solution is logical, sooner or later the software will evolve to a better conclusion.
I use this workaround now, Kodi starts and terminates when Windows starts.

Save this script as STARTKODI.JS in the Kodi folder.
Create a shortcut to it and place the shortcut in the Autostart folder in the startmenu.

Code:
WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.shell");
var command="kodi.exe"; //this may needs to be path fully qualified.
task=WshShell.Exec(command);
WScript.Sleep(10000);
task.Terminate();
WScript.Quit();

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jarvis RC1. Blank screen on startup0