Windows 10 + Cable Card
Am I correct in understanding that, with the effective demise of WMC in Windows 10, I cannot upgrade from W8.1 if I am using a cable card with my Ceton to watch TV through Kodi (by using ServerWMC)?

I saw that that a few places online posted ways to install WMC on Windows 10. Has anyone tested to see whether cable card channels still work OK when that is done?
Just a silly question why would you leave windows 7 ?
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
(2016-01-27, 02:29)Rickt1962 Wrote: Just a silly question why would you leave windows 7 ?

A couple reasons. First, everything else in my house is W10 at this point, and I'm interested in maintaining a consistent ecosystem. Second, I'd like to get some added benefits from DX12 in the future. But first and perhaps foremost, I want that stupid popup to go away.
If that box is dedicated to WMC then I'd strongly recommend staying on W7. There's nothing in W10 that will benefit you in running an MCE HTPC.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
All of what they say above is true. However cablecard is supposed to work now with the mdl guy's wmc project. Check out their forum and ask them.

edit:
Also its possible to make the win10 popup go away.

yet another edit:
but DRM content still does not work on serverwmc/kodi
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
You can also use other backends on Win10 with your cablecard devices, like NextPVR. It'll give you the same channels in Kodi as the ServerWMC addon (ie, non-DRM channels).
(2016-01-27, 19:32)sub3 Wrote: You can also use other backends on Win10 with your cablecard devices, like NextPVR. It'll give you the same channels in Kodi as the ServerWMC addon (ie, non-DRM channels).

Hm. I'm not sure which channels are DRM and which aren't, but I seem to get everything except for HBO just fine. Are other people having issues?
(2016-01-28, 21:19)ratzofftoya Wrote: I'm not sure which channels are DRM and which aren't, but I seem to get everything except for HBO just fine.
Yep - it's not always easy to determine which channels are protected by DRM, and which aren't.

If you're getting everything other than HBO etc, that's great. You have one of the nicer cable companies. Some cable companies encrypt pretty everything.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 + Cable Card0