HDMI Audio Grief
Hi folks.

Hi folks. Not entirely sure this is a kodi problem but since that's where I'm having the issue right now, I thought: Surely, I can't be the only one.

Since I've installed kodi I've had HDMI audio problems off and on. Often it's as simple as pausing a programme, restarting and getting no audio from the telly, and having to unplug the cable from my laptop, reinsert and we're all good again. Last night the HDMI audio stopped working completely with kodi. No audio through the telly nor the lappie. It's driving my batty. I can play the same file in VLC and get a picture on the telly, but only laptop sound.

I've checked the audio devices on this box (win 10) but all I get is HDMI is unplugged (whatever the eff that means), and options are greyed out. I made no changes to anything for this change to occur. Any help greatly appreciated.

PS. HDMI cable has been tested and works fine, as does the HDMI port on the telly to which it's connected.

Using Kodi 15.2, Windows 10
New Windows 10 update . . . still no joy. No one in here has ever experienced HDMI probs with windows 10? Seems to be all over the weeb, but I can't see many folks sorting it out, and nor can I.
Have you tried fiddling with (GPU) drivers? Are they updated?
(2016-01-28, 22:18)jokl81 Wrote: Have you tried fiddling with (GPU) drivers? Are they updated?

Yip, and apparently everything is up to date.
Which GPU?
Nvidia has a clean install option available in case the audio portion didn't install smoothly
(HD Audio driver)

Unsure on AMD, will need to do so through the program control panel if they don't have a similar option, but suggest you download driver again and install on a clean install.
Thanks for the replies, folks. jokl81 I think I misunderstood what you were saying. It was my audio drivers I checked, and I really haven't a clue what the GPU drivers are. k4sh1n, this is an AMD machine (at least the sticker on it tells me so) but I haven't a clue how to sort it through control panel, or how to do a clean install.
Next time you have issues with both display devices in operation, window Kodi with the "\" then on the desktop bring up the 'playback devices' (not sure how that's done on win 10, but in win 7 it's a right click on the speaker icon) and ensure it's set for AMD HDMI for the TV or speakers for the PC. Then look at the Kodi settings... if Kodi is on the TV, ensure you have Kodi in settings>system>audio set for waspi, if Kodi is on the PC use direct.
(2016-01-29, 17:38)PatK Wrote: Next time you have issues with both display devices in operation, window Kodi with the "\" then on the desktop bring up the 'playback devices' (not sure how that's done on win 10, but in win 7 it's a right click on the speaker icon) and ensure it's set for AMD HDMI for the TV or speakers for the PC. Then look at the Kodi settings... if Kodi is on the TV, ensure you have Kodi in settings>system>audio set for waspi, if Kodi is on the PC use direct.

Just switched from waspi to direct to see if I could get audio from kodi on the lappie, and narp. Even tested the speakers again while kodi was open and they're working fine.
The other thing I should have added to that last post is before this latest bugger-up audio came our of the telly as long as I had the HDMI hooked to the lappie, but the moment I unplugged it, the audio reverted to the lappie. best of all possibles it was.
Type "Device manager" into the windows search (magnifing glass on the bottom left), open it and expand "Display adapters" and tell us whats under there... But you should know exacty which type and brand of gpu is installed. Whats the CPU?

The last time I was trying to clean graphics drivers, I used DDU to clean current drivers and then install new ones.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/disp...nload.html
Can't find any "magnifing glass on the bottom left," jokl81.
On the off chance that you've had the correct settings once in a while, but the audio is so low you didn't recognize it.. press the + button on the keyboard a few times, whihc is Kodi's volume control, and instead of a video play some music, so when the correct setting pops... you know it.

I'm starting to think this is a driver issue.
Ok, stll can't find a magnifying glass, but obviously I was too tired to think correctly. And no I don't know much about this computer, as it was my partner's (she since got a new workstation), and a mate of mine worked on this so I could use it for kodi.

Under 'display adapters' I have "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series.

Processor is an AMD V120 2.20GHz, 3.00GB Ram, and 64-bit
Ok, so then you must have AMDs Catalyst control centre app installed. Open it and find the "update" option. Though I doubt that simply updating drivers would help, but I guess it doesn't hurt to first ttry that.

But as I wrote earlier, I'd try completely cleaning GPU drivers with DDU (link in my previous post) and installing fresh, correct ones: first download the AMD update utility (from the amd support website), but don't run it yet. Open DDU, which mill tell you to reboot in safe mode - do that. In safe mode, the DDU should start automatically - choose "clean and reboot". When the comp boots back into windows start the previously downloaded AMD update utility and download and install the suggested driver.
Couldn't find AMD CCC anywhere on this box, but went to the site and ran AMD Autodetect. It lists the OS, processor, and vid-card but says: we are unable to find a driver for your system. Man, this is so frustrating.

I did download DDU (not installed yet), so should I jump right to that step instead? Sorry to be a pain. Really do appreciate the help.

Edit: This AMD page doesn't fill my heart with joy: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles...eries.aspx

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Audio Grief0