DTS Sound issue with AV Receiver
Hi all,

I thought this would clear my question but I got the following question:

My system is set up as follows:

Synology NAS -> (Wifi) Router/Fritz Box -> Power LAN -> Gigabit Switch -> Raspberry Pi 2 with Kodi, overclocked to high settings.

I had the issue with some 1080 movies with DTS that it stutters and it is practically unwatchable.

My AV Receiver (Pioneer VSX 924) can handle DTS so I thought audio passthrough would be the solution. Unfortunately some movies still stutter, e.g. a 9gb movie:

Audio.............: German DTS 5.1 1509 Kbps
Audio2............: English DTS 5.1 1509 Kbps
Video.............: 1920x808 24 fps 8195 Kbps

I recognized that the display of my AV receiver shows "DTS" on Passthrough but as soon as it starts to stutter, no input audio is displayed - once it continues it shows DTS again.

I only operate to large speakers on the AVR.

Any hints, what the issue can be? Regular TV Shows or AAC works fine as well as streaming Full HD via Wifi on my laptop.

Many thanks for your feedback!
Tom
Can you copy the file to the pi (e.g. sdcard or USB stick) and play it from there?
That will determine if it is a player issue or a network issue.
What is the connection from the PI to the TV and receiver? ie how does the audio get from the pi to the amp?
Does the Audio play fine on the TV speaker?
Does the video stutter or just the sound?

My Setup goes from PI > HDMI > TV > Optical audio out to amp
My TV won't passthrough DTS or audio from ISO / DVD files on the optimal or other setting (can't remember at the moment what that is) - it makes an awful screaming sound. The only way I can get them to play is to change the audio settings in Kodi to fixed.
Raspberry Pi 3 B > Libreelec 9.2.1 > Amber Skin
RPI > Bravia KDL46WE5 > Optical > AMP
Synology DS411J NAS > 100mb Ethernet > RPI
Playing it directly from USB (2.0, 16gb) works perfectly.

So it most likely is a network issue when buffering?

The Pi connects directly via HDMI to the Pioneer AV Receiver and from there to its two speakers....

Next step is to connect the NAS directly and see what happens...
what benefit do you have playing DTS files if you only have 2 speakers? Just out of curiousity.
Likely the powerline connection. Turn up your cache . http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-01-30, 21:59)David1977 Wrote: what benefit do you have playing DTS files if you only have 2 speakers? Just out of curiousity.

1. I got a 2.0 system now - nevertheless does the Pioneer allow virtual surround (quite nice actually)
2. DTS is best available source imho at the moment and I dont want to fill the server with non DTS files and replace them later.

(2016-01-30, 23:35)nickr Wrote: Likely the powerline connection. Turn up your cache . http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

I will connect the NAS directly through the Gigabit switch - Cache already set to "Example 3". That did not work.

Will keep postet once I changed the network.

Many thanks!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS Sound issue with AV Receiver0