Win Not really hardware related but still... (debloating Windows 10)
I decided to go with Linux media server + Windows 10 gaming HTPC but I've got one thing yet to solve.

As we know, MS stuffed Windows 10 with all sorts of "modern" default apps in an attempt to standardize the experience, but they all suck compared to better alternatives (Kodi itself, MPC-HC, foobar2000, and so on). I know it's possible to remove them and I have done so, but I still have a question. What else do I need to do to make Windows 10 as "barebones" as possible? MS used to allow a greater deal of customization back in the days of Windows 9x, nowadays they push all their crap on you. Sad
Why don't you go back to Win7?
I use W10 - and this is ok, as long as you close all the talkback Apps.
OSU10 does this with 1 click.
From Performance view - i don't care about what is all running in behind - I still use the same PC Hardware than 3 years ago - without any performance loss, when i upgraded from W7.
It's Intel i7/16GB RAM and 250 GB SSD... use the Intel HD4000 onboard - but will change to dedicated GPU when I buy a 4K TV.
My Equipment:
HTPC (i7-8700K 3.7 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) Windows 10 with Kodi 18.6 & Central SQL DB (Maria DB)
AVR Emotiva RMC-1 & AMP Emotiva XPA9-Gen3, TV LG OLED 65 E6, BD oppo UDP-203, Speaker Revel Performa3 F208 / F206 / C208 / Nubert WS-14 for Atmos/DTS.x)
NAS Synology DS1817+ / DX-517/DX513 (4x8 TB RAID5 + 2 x 5x6TB in RAID5)
It's actually a pretty good idea, this, but the Xbox One wireless dongle is exclusive to 10. Sad (thanks to MS being lame, of course)

If I went back to 7 I'd need to buy an Xbox 360 wireless controller with the dongle and possibly a Windows 7 license as I've got only a Windows 8 one (don't know if they're interchangeable).
https://www.ntlite.com. Awesome utility. I used previous iterations under different names.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
I'll try it, bry-, thanks. Smile
(2016-01-28, 23:15)Zpectre87 Wrote: It's actually a pretty good idea, this, but the Xbox One wireless dongle is exclusive to 10. Sad (thanks to MS being lame, of course)

If I went back to 7 I'd need to buy an Xbox 360 wireless controller with the dongle and possibly a Windows 7 license as I've got only a Windows 8 one (don't know if they're interchangeable).

Support for the xbox one wireless adapter was added for 7 and 8.1 in mid December, drivers should be on the page for it.
Intel i3 NUC | Windows 8.1 | Kodi Helix | Arctic: Zephyr
(2016-01-29, 03:55)nate1280 Wrote: Support for the xbox one wireless adapter was added for 7 and 8.1 in mid December, drivers should be on the page for it.

Nice, thanks for the heads up. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Not really hardware related but still... (debloating Windows 10)0