This is an Alexa skill which allows you to control media on Kodi

Demo

Some sample utterances are

- Play season 3 of Breaking bad
- Show Return of the King
- Play Mad men season 2 episode 4
- Watch the Warriors game

Installation
The skill is in certification from amazon, so you must still a developer account to enable the skill
1. Register and add a new skill to your alexa skill kit. Link

2. Create the skill

Skill Information:

Name "Kodi"
Invocation Name "cody"
Endpoint: arn:aws:lambda:us-east-1:414515788753:functionTonguelayTV

Interaction Model: (These are subject to change until skill is published)

Intent Schema: Copy paste from /Alexa/speechAssets/IntentSchema.json
Sample Utterances: Copy paste from /Alexa/speechAssets/SampleUtterances.txt
Custom Slots Type: Create A custom slot for each file named in /Alexa/speechAssets/slots and copy/paste the contents of the file

Save and You are Done!

3. Install My Repo to Kodi Here

4. Install Alexa Service

5. Ask your Echo "Alexa ask kodi for my key" (Your Key will be sent to your alexa app.)

6. Enter the key from your app into the Alexa.Service settings menu on Kodi

7. Restart Kodi

Thats it.

PreRequisites
No basic Pre-Requisites for local playback
Certain addons will be detected and controlled as they are enabled.

Chrome launcher required for web players such as Netflix

ToDo
In Beta Stage.
Awaiting certification from Amazon
  • Music
  • Amazon Instant Streaming
  • Chromecast support?
  • Logitch Harmony support
  • Media Location Priorities
  • "Next episode"/"Last Episode" support
Pulsar is depreciated and no longer supported.

You may want to look at the new Quasar fork instead and maybe speak with its authors if needed as a replacement.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
"Alexa ask kodi for my key" results in "there was a problem with the requested skills response"
ChromeLauncher and Pulsar Addons are installed.
Currently running kodi 16.0 on android 5.1.0 on a nvidia shield.
I have everything installed, successfully retrieved my key and added that to the add-on. However, anytime I ask Alexa to tell Cody to play anything, a certain TV show or Movie, she responds with either "error contacting TVDB" or "Couldn't communicate with TV". I've tried asking several different ways including exactly how you are asking. This is the closest I've gotten to getting her to actually communicate with Kodi, so I'm excited about the possibilities and thankful for your contribution.
(2016-01-30, 16:29)pruitt68 Wrote: I have everything installed, successfully retrieved my key and added that to the add-on. However, anytime I ask Alexa to tell Cody to play anything, a certain TV show or Movie, she responds with either "error contacting TVDB" or "Couldn't communicate with TV". I've tried asking several different ways including exactly how you are asking. This is the closest I've gotten to getting her to actually communicate with Kodi, so I'm excited about the possibilities and thankful for your contribution.

Error contacting TVDB should be resolved now.

"Couldn't communicate with TV" usually means the service is not running on Kodi (if its a crash please post an error log)
I followed all the steps got it working for play and pause and for the sport games but can't get any movies or TV shows to play. Keeps saying something like "unknown command" even when saying the exact right way. Thanks for this was a huge help.
This is looking good so far.. Thank you for making this available.. Big Grin This is the first Skill I've added to my Alexa, so I'm still learning and playing around.. but it's playing what I ask it to.. It'd be cool if there was a way to play the last episode of a particular show, but I dunno if that would be possible.. Great work so far..
Quote: followed all the steps got it working for play and pause and for the sport games but can't get any movies or TV shows to play. Keeps saying something like "unknown command" even when saying the exact right way. Thanks for this was a huge help.

Did you have an empty library? If so, this has been fixed.

If no, please post a log.[/quote]

(2016-02-10, 20:17)Tension113 Wrote: This is looking good so far.. Thank you for making this available.. Big Grin This is the first Skill I've added to my Alexa, so I'm still learning and playing around.. but it's playing what I ask it to.. It'd be cool if there was a way to play the last episode of a particular show, but I dunno if that would be possible.. Great work so far..

Thanks, This feature is in active development.

Instead of selecting a season and episode, you can say "latest" or "next" to play the absolute newest, or next unwatched respectively.
I'm just holding of on pushing it right now because it requires a schema update, which I'm trying not to update so often.
Sorry for my confusion but where can I find the Intent Schema: " /Alexa/speechAssets/IntentSchema.json" from the post above?

UPDATE - Figured it out ... thanks
do we use local ip or ip from isp or a "dynamic" dns host name?

TIA
steve
Well done sir. This needs to be supported, I have to try this out.
Where can I find those files ?
Intent Schema: Copy paste from /Alexa/speechAssets/IntentSchema.json
Sample Utterances: Copy paste from /Alexa/speechAssets/SampleUtterances.txt
Nvidia Shield Android Marshmallow - Kodi 16.0
Amazon Fire TV 1st Gen
Apple TV 4th Gen
Logitech Harmony Elite + Keyboard
Philips Hue
Amazon Echo
Ok found the files here : https://github.com/rsummers618/HTPC_Alexa_Skill
Also don't forget to add a custom slot and take copy paste from /Alexa/speechAssets/NavLocation.txt
Amazon Fire TV 1st Gen
Apple TV 4th Gen
Philips Hue
Amazon Echo
Some issues on Android TV:
- Chrome Launcher does not work as Chrome does not exist on it.
- Is it possible to fallback to the Netflix add-on in Kodi? Maybe there is not way to send parameters to play the movie
- Pulsar is not always working. I'm receiving for example "Please restart XBMC before using Pulsar" all the time and therefore it's not usable.

That was my 2 cents. I do understand that these limitations are coming from the fact that it's a Android Box and not a Windows / Mac / Linux
Amazon Fire TV 1st Gen
Apple TV 4th Gen
Philips Hue
Amazon Echo
Got it working, Great work, can't wait for updates....
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Echo(Alexa) Skill and Kodi Addon3