• 8(current)
Alpha Amazon Echo(Alexa) Skill and Kodi Addon
I'd throw in 25 for something like that as well.
Hi everyone, I am sorry for the noob post, just got my amazon fire tv and echo last week and have been reading as much as I can online, but need some help. I would like to integrate echo to amazon TV and have completed steps 1 and 2 from the OP. However, I can't figure out how to install "My Repo to Kodi" (step 3). I have clicked on the "here" link and it lets me download the folder "repository.rsummers618" with the "addon.xml" file on my computer. When I open that a windows explorer window opens up with the following code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
- <addon id="repository.rsummers618" name="Alexa Addons" version="1.0" provider-name="rsummers618">
- <extension point="xbmc.addon.repository" name="Addons for Alexa">
<info compressed="false">http://raw.github.com/rsummers618/HTPC_Alexa_Skill/master/Kodi/addons.xml</info>
<checksum>http://raw.github.com/rsummers618/HTPC_Alexa_Skill/master/Kodi/addons.xml.md5</checksum>
<datadir zip="true">http://raw.githubusercontent.com/rsummers618/HTPC_Alexa_Skill/master/Kodi/zips</datadir>
</extension>
- <extension point="xbmc.addon.metadata">
<summary>Repo for Rsummers618 Alexa-Kodi Skills</summary>
<description>Download and install Alexa Kodi Skills</description>
<platform>all</platform>
</extension>
</addon>

This is obviously wrong. I can however, ask Alexa to send the key to Kodi. I do not know where to put this key in though as when I open up kodi I do not see any Alexa.service settings on Kodi.

Please help, I know I am so close, yet so far! Please spare me the noobie sham.
Do you have to add each show/movie name to the utterances? I can only get the walking dead to play. Huh
I have a question. I am new at this and have very little coding knowledge. I was just wondering if it would be easier to control Kodi using echo if you used the same intents used from the yatse app for Android. My thinking is this. I know that yatse uses json, and it always seems to know when something is playing and has all the information about what is playing, such as poster art, current playback time and position. It can pause and play skip forward and back. It can even load all add-ons from Kodi to the app. Select an add on on the app and it sends the commands to Kodi. Can also load entire library. I know if you go to the yatse website it has a list of all the intents, and commands. So I was thinking if this could be added to an echo skill it should work. And maybe even be more consistent. Or I could be totally wrong.
A few questions.

I have a couple of questions however I have gotten up to the point where my Echo seems to understand the command although on occasion I get the "Kodi is not connected to the server".

1) I downloaded the repo but when I open the file it is a blank word doc.

2) What do I do with the Kodi key alexa successfully received? Its a long line of letters which I can not copy from my phone. Not sure what to do with that.

Overall the directions for this are not very clear. What do I do with kodi and this add-on? How is that installed. What do I do with the Kodi key alexa received?

Perhaps these are basic for others but when I read and re-read the instructions, even googling my issues hoping they were answered somewhere else, I got no where.

Thank you to whom ever can help me!
The easiest way to paste the key into the Kodi add on is to download a Kodi remote app. If you are using an android phone or tablet you can download yatse. You have to turn on the settings under services, like allow other remotes to control. Basically just checkmark everything under services. Then scan for Kodi on the remote. If it doesn't find it type the ip address. Then go to the echo app copy the key, go back to yatse and in the left panel menu there is an option to paste from clipboard. Choose that it should pull up a text box where you can paste the code click OK it will send it to Kodi. Make sure you already have the add on open and have the cursor in the box where you input the key. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A
I downloaded the app on my iPhone, got it connected and was able to copy the key from alexa. I just don't see in the app where I can paste it. Perhaps because Im not using Yatse but when I search for the in the app store it brings me to the official app which I already downloaded.
Oh and I also don't know where or what this kodi add on is. Maybe Im missing something but is there a specific add-on I download somewhere in kodi?
you should probably read the very first post in this thread.
I read everything. Links are either dead or they are not clear instructions.
(2016-08-05, 02:59)kojak40 Wrote: The easiest way to paste the key into the Kodi add on is to download a Kodi remote app. If you are using an android phone or tablet you can download yatse. You have to turn on the settings under services, like allow other remotes to control. Basically just checkmark everything under services. Then scan for Kodi on the remote. If it doesn't find it type the ip address. Then go to the echo app copy the key, go back to yatse and in the left panel menu there is an option to paste from clipboard. Choose that it should pull up a text box where you can paste the code click OK it will send it to Kodi. Make sure you already have the add on open and have the cursor in the box where you input the key. Let me know if that doesn't work.

(2016-08-06, 00:12)Ruckus Wrote: you should probably read the very first post in this thread.

You should probably read my first post which has two questions, the first of which explains that the part where he says to download his kodi repo here gives me nothing but a blank word doc.
Ok so the repository should download a zip file. Move that zip to storage thst you can access from Kodi. So if you are using Kodi on an android box move it to a SD card or flash drive. If on a pc it shouldn't matter where it is on the computer. Go in Kodi, settings, add-ons, install from zip. Find the directory where you saved the zip. It will install the repository. Then go under install from repository look for the one you just installed. The add-on you want should be under services for that repository. Install it. When it's installed go under my add-ons, services and it should be called Alexa Plugin. Select it and press menu, configure. The first line is where you paste the key...its named Auth code.

(2016-08-06, 05:09)kojak40 Wrote: Ok so the repository should download a zip file. Move that zip to storage thst you can access from Kodi. So if you are using Kodi on an android box move it to a SD card or flash drive. If on a pc it shouldn't matter where it is on the computer. Go in Kodi, settings, add-ons, install from zip. Find the directory where you saved the zip. It will install the repository. Then go under install from repository look for the one you just installed. The add-on you want should be under services for that repository. Install it. When it's installed go under my add-ons, services and it should be called Alexa Plugin. Select it and press menu, configure. The first line is where you paste the key...its named Auth code.

Its not downloading a zip file. I get a folder and the only contents are a file called addon.xml
The folder is zipped. Move it to Kodi and follow the instructions I posted above.

(2016-08-06, 05:25)kojak40 Wrote: The folder is zipped. Move it to Kodi and follow the instructions I posted above.

for whatever reason before I was only getting a folder but now I managed to get to the end of your instructions. By the way, thank you. Youve been very helpful.

I now can ask alexa to put on a show or movie, she says shes doing it but I get an error with Quasar/Pulsar.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Echo(Alexa) Skill and Kodi Addon3