• 2(current)
Alpha Amazon Echo(Alexa) Skill and Kodi Addon
(2016-02-13, 06:48)lakram Wrote: Sorry for my confusion but where can I find the Intent Schema: " /Alexa/speechAssets/IntentSchema.json" from the post above?

UPDATE - Figured it out ... thanks

What did you figure out? I'm new to the Echo.
(2016-03-01, 11:48)dascoba Wrote:
(2016-02-13, 06:48)lakram Wrote: Sorry for my confusion but where can I find the Intent Schema: " /Alexa/speechAssets/IntentSchema.json" from the post above?

UPDATE - Figured it out ... thanks

What did you figure out? I'm new to the Echo.

https://github.com/rsummers618/HTPC_Alexa_Skill
Also don't forget to add a custom slot and take copy paste from /Alexa/speechAssets/NavLocation.txt
Nvidia Shield Android Marshmallow - Kodi 16.0
Amazon Fire TV 1st Gen
Apple TV 4th Gen
Logitech Harmony Elite + Keyboard
Philips Hue
Amazon Echo
Gotch007, thanks for the missing entry, what do we call the custom slot (does it matter?)

Thanks in advance as I really would like to get this working (as a noob to echo )
As a little comment, I would like to see this being more menu drive.

User: Alexa tell kodi to play movie
Alexa: Which movie?
User: Big Buck Bunny
Alex: Playing Big Buck Bunny

User: Alexa tell kodi to play TV show
Alexa: Which show?
User: Breaking Bad
Alexa: Which season?
User: Season 3
Alexa: Which episode?
User: One

Alexa tell kodi to play artist
Alexa tell kodi to play album
Alexa tell kodi to play song

Also, supporting a resume command, and a shuffle command would be great.

FYI - what you have is gret, but I think the menu system could minimize user/alexa error.
(2016-03-01, 19:38)Minichip Wrote: Gotch007, thanks for the missing entry, what do we call the custom slot (does it matter?)

Thanks in advance as I really would like to get this working (as a noob to echo )

You can name it NavLocation
Nvidia Shield Android Marshmallow - Kodi 16.0
Amazon Fire TV 1st Gen
Apple TV 4th Gen
Logitech Harmony Elite + Keyboard
Philips Hue
Amazon Echo
Just wanted to jump in and join this thread as I've long been waiting for an easier way to integrate my Kodi setup with the Echo.

I had this all up and running last night but it wouldn't play my movies library, just the TV library.

Since then though I've restarted my HTPC computer and can no longer get the Echo to communicate with my Kodi box. I have never setup a static IP on the HTPC, does the skill require this or should it automatically find the skill broadcasting on the network from the Kodi box?

Im curious because I have more then one box in my house and would like to have the functionality enabled on both. That being said both wouldn't be connected to the internet at the same time, I've got some long ass cable I use to plug in that I swap in and out.

Also a special thanks for creating this skill and tutorial! Loved the integration with other programs and the Sports feature.
I would like to help. If you time can you send me any information that you found useful so that I can get up to speed?

I can also say I can't get movies to play locally only through Qasar which is having issues. TV shows work great though.
(2016-03-06, 08:48)tdhz77 Wrote: I would like to help. If you time can you send me any information that you found useful so that I can get up to speed?

I can also say I can't get movies to play locally only through Qasar which is having issues. TV shows work great though.

I'm just the opposite...I can get it to play my movies just fine, it's TV shows that it has the most problems finding and playing. I don't have a Netflix account, so Alexa is constantly trying to play TV Shows from Netflix versus my local server. Is there anyway to have it omit Netflix altogether and just default to my local server? I also have Quasar up and running, but again, she always defaults to Netflix. I like the direction this is headed, thanks everyone involved.
Some helpful instructions for the community:

I hope to clear up some misunderstandings about the instructions posted by OP.

So the first thing we will need to do is to to teach our Alexa how to use a new skill. OP has stated that in order for us to use this skill we will have to do it manually (or until Amazon approves the skill).

In order to do that we will go to Amazon Developer website and create a new skill for our Alexa.
Make sure you are logged in when you go to https://developer.amazon.com/edw/home.html#/skills/list

Name "Kodi"
Invocation Name "cody"
Endpoint: arn:aws:lambda:us-east-1:414515788753:functionTonguelayTV

First page of information should look like this.

Click Save

Grab some JSON source files from rsummers github and paste them into the correct fields.

Step 2) Find json source files on github.
https://github.com/rsummers618/HTPC_Alexa_Skill

Copy and paste Intent Schema:
IntentSchema.json

Copy and Paste NavLocation into Custom Slot Types
NavLocations.txt

Copy and paste SampleUtterances.txt
SampleUtterances.txt

It should look something like this:

Now, install the repo from Kodi like normal.
Install this repo by clicking here.

Install the Alexa Service as normal.

Step 3) Ask your Echo, "Alexa ask Kodi for my key".
Now open up your iOS/Android alex app and you should see a key.

Enter this key into the Alexa Service add-on you just installed. (Navigate to it and go to service ->Configure)

Step 4) Restart!

Test it out!

"Play season 3 of Breaking bad"

Troubleshooting:
Problem: If you get an error message consisting of an error with the intent Schema.
Reboot Kodi.

The add-on defaults to Quasar if it can't find the media in your library. Currently quasar seems to be on the fritz. So, it appears that future updates will eliminate the dependency on the add-on.
I got this to work on the latest kodi on fire TV using the plexkodi add on. "Alexa, ask kodi to play brooklyn" and it did. Alex, ask kodi to play walking dead and it would ask me what season then what episode. Then after that it all stopped working completely. Restarted kodi and it still gives an error. Gotta mess with it more today after work.
(2016-03-08, 04:37)stevej336 Wrote: I got this to work on the latest kodi on fire TV using the plexkodi add on. "Alexa, ask kodi to play brooklyn" and it did. Alex, ask kodi to play walking dead and it would ask me what season then what episode. Then after that it all stopped working completely. Restarted kodi and it still gives an error. Gotta mess with it more today after work.

So what you have done in essence is use Alexa to play from a plex server using the Kodi addon?
Using the newer plex addon for kodi on the fire tv. I cant seem to get quasar to work..it sometimes crashes or gives an http error. As far as netflix goes, ive asked kodi to play daredevil and it says it is but nothing happens. Not sure if its an issue with fire tv but i have the netflix addons and chrome launcher enabled.
Hi guys thanks for creating this skill and tutorial.

I want to have this skill only to play local media. What do I need to change?

TIA.
I cant tell if everyone has this working properly, no one is really interested, or everyone is just waiting for an update from the op lol. Cant wait to have this running 100%
Got it up and running, works sometimes... its a great start, and a lot easier then the other KODI skill....
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Echo(Alexa) Skill and Kodi Addon3