Linux General question about CPU usage
Hello folks,

I got a (maybe) short question about the CPU usage, though it is not a support-question and more sort of a general talk, I think this forum will be ok (and if I post to discussion forum I may be redirected to support forum Wink)

Ever since I use kodi, I noticed that even if kodi is doing nothing and if all displays are off,
there is constantly about 1-2-3% CPU usage (pentium CPU, maybe lower on i3, i5, i7...) from the kodi.bin.

I know it is not much and nowadays noone would give a rat's ass for 1 or 2 percent cpu...
...my question is out of interest:
What is causing this CPU load?

Motivation:
My machine is 24/7 on, and I don't want kodi to shut down and restart every time I switch on the display,
so kodi is also on 24/7...and none of my other running services use CPU (even if only 1%) if they're doing nothing, so I wondered what kodi is polling or what else causes this behaviour.

thx!
turn on debug logging and watch the kodi.log to see what its doing when its idle
its cause kodi is OpenGL and its origins are from the original xbox, so there is essentially a "game loop" running.
ah ok, I see.
is it possible to disable/pause this game loop?

thx
not until we refactored huge parts of the code.

You can do something like kill -SIGSTOP, but then you also must send a SIGCONT if you want to use kodi again.
ok thx
Check cat /proc/cpuinfo if it's massively downclocking 1% is plain nothing.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
yes it is mostly under 3% cpu, i got spikes every few minutes with about 9-10% cpu usage,
SIGSTOP is working

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
General question about CPU usage0