Video stutter playing 23.976 fps movies on Kodi Isengard
Hello Community,

I have been struggling with this issue for a couple of months now so I decided to reach out for help on the Kodi forum.

My issue:
I would like to play my movies which are 99% of the time a source of 23.976 fps as close to the original "image" as possible.
However whatever I'm trying I get subtle but clearly noticeable and annoying stutter in the video playback.
I just can't get my head around this so all help is appreciated.

Basic information:
- Kodi 15.2 Git:20151019-02e7013 (Compiled: Oct 19 2015)
(have tried with Jarvis Beta 5 as well before the RC's came out -> no changes worse/better. I consider installing Jarvis when the official release comes out)
- Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 OS Build 10586.71
(had a Windows update yesterday -> no changes worse/better)
- Intel Core i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30Ghz
- 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
- 256 GB SSD (950 PRO)
- 64-bit operating system
- Intel Display Audio (driver version version 8.20.0.659 date 10/5/2015)
- Display HD Graphics 520 (driver version 20.19.15.4331 date 11/20/2015)

Components included in the setup:

Intel NUC Kit NUC6i3SYH
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/n...i3syh.html
(downloaded and installed the latest drivers from the Intel website)

Bose LifeStyle T20 A/V Receiver
Software version 02.10.01
Database version 5.3.24.2
(console has the latest software version and database, no update is needed)

Samsung UE46ES8000
Software version T-ECPDEUC-2020.0, BT- S/G
(there are no software updates for the moment)

HDGear High Speed v1.4 HDMI are used
http://be-nl.forum.ibood.com/products/32...riplepack/

HTPC ---(HDMI)----Bose T20 A/V Receiver ----(HDMI)---- Samsung LCD TV

Kodi configuration screenshots

Note: the configuration in the screenshots matches the debug file.

Additional info:
- To eliminate any network delay I copied the video file onto the local SSD of the HTPC
- I have tried different video files
- I assured all HDMI cables are secured properly
- I rebooted all devices several times
- all devices are up to date
- The best result so far I had when configuring the video driver to output 60p Hz and set the TV to 60Hz and don't use "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" or "Sync playback to display". Although this has not been consisten either. Sometimes I have the impression the order of actions matter and some devices need a reboot.
- I have had times when the issue seemed to have gone away and I thought I found the issue but then came back f.e. next day when I fire up the TV and receiver again (HTPC stays on 24/7)
- I searched the forum, used Google many times and tried a zillion things without any luck. also I followed the troubleshoot steps in the sticky post a couple of times too ...
- In the last few months while testing/trying I have seen the Bose T20 crashing, Kodi crashing or not playing any audio at all, ... Not sure if this was related to my issue though
- At times I also see artifacts on the screen even in Windows

Kodi logs

http://xbmclogs.com/pfbxgvumm

I have no idea to read these logs but one thing I noticed was the following:
12:33:35 T:3028 NOTICE: fps: 23.976024, pwidth: 1920, pheight: 804, dwidth: 1920, dheight: 804
12:33:35 T:3028 NOTICE: Display resolution ADJUST : 1920x1080@ 23.98 - Full Screen (204) (weight: 0.000)

Seems like the display is adjusted to 23.98 and not 23.976...

Media info

http://pastebin.com/FcpRiscK

Questions:
- How should I configure my TV. Does it even matter? I can select 50Hz or 60Hz in the menu
- Does the settings of the Intel driver matter? I have a wide range of settings possible from "23p Hz" to "60p Hz" (I didn't try the interlaced settings) I tried a combination of everything really.
- What would be the settings I need to use, considering above setup and my requirements (playing 23.976 fps videos)
- Does anyone have an idea what is the issue here and how to solve it ...
Some additional tests done reconfirmed what I found in the past ...
1) When I connect the NUC directly to the TV I do not get any artifacts and the Intel Display HD driver selects automatically "59p Hz"
So possibly the TV cannot support the 60p Hz mode as this gets negotiated.
2) when I unplug the HDMI cables from the A/V Receiver and put them back artifacts are gone as well using the original setup.
Perhaps my Bose T20 has some faulty components that get reset when replugging the cables.
Does anyone know exactly what happens when you reconnect HDMI cables? I read something about a handshake?
could that also be an issue here??
Try this: Change on display drivers frequency to 23 Hz (not 60 Hz). And disable "Adjust display refresh rate" under Playback.
any luck with this ?

ive set NVidia change resolution to 23hz and kodi setting adjust refesh rate to always.

unable to change NVidia desktop size and position to 23hz always reverts back to 60hz ?? so not sure how to or if this needs to be changed also to 23hz?

any help or clarity would be muchly appreciated!
(2016-01-31, 13:35)maxxximilian Wrote: Try this: Change on display drivers frequency to 23 Hz (not 60 Hz). And disable "Adjust display refresh rate" under Playback.

I tried this but reports kodi resolution on tv to be running 1080p/60p and doesn't revert to 24p on movie start...? Does nvidia setting take priority?
What's most important is that both your TV and AV receiver support your preferred frame rate. Connect both of them to your PC and check the supported screen resolutions and frame rates. In Windows 7 this works by right-clicking on the desktop and choosing Screen resolution. Then click Advanced settings and press the List All Modes button. Alternatively, you can get a list of all supported frame rates for the currently set resolution by switching to the Monitor tab. If your favoured frame rate isn't listed there, you most likely won't be able to relay it to your TV.
(2016-01-31, 13:35)maxxximilian Wrote: Try this: Change on display drivers frequency to 23 Hz (not 60 Hz). And disable "Adjust display refresh rate" under Playback.

Tried that already and tried it again. Still stutter.
(2016-02-09, 13:50)Fabianius Wrote: What's most important is that both your TV and AV receiver support your preferred frame rate. Connect both of them to your PC and check the supported screen resolutions and frame rates. In Windows 7 this works by right-clicking on the desktop and choosing Screen resolution. Then click Advanced settings and press the List All Modes button. Alternatively, you can get a list of all supported frame rates for the currently set resolution by switching to the Monitor tab. If your favoured frame rate isn't listed there, you most likely won't be able to relay it to your TV.

No difference unfortunately. I see the same list of possible resolutions, color dept and frequency
Ignore the fact that a different setting i highlighted. Both are set to 59 Hz now.

Connected via HDMI straight to the TV

Connected to the receiver (which it should be to have HD surround sound)

Could you also try playing your videos with hardware acceleration (DXVA2) enabled?

If that still doesn't help, try the new Kodi 16. It uses DirectX 11.
Honestly with all the trouble you've had, I'd just do a clean install and use Kodi DSPlayer. I have had zero problems (once configured correctly) using that plus LAV Filters and ReClock to pass bit-perfect PCM audio / stable 23Hz playback. I'll settle for perfectly sync'd audio with a advancedsettings.xml edit of 250ms any day of the week over my AVR saying a nice DTS-HD MA / TrueHD logo / slightly out of sync (even with AVR auto adjust) lipsync.

Realted to your issue if you don't want to go the DSPlayer route (although you should if you really care about picture / audio quality):

Have you tried with full screen enabled?
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
(2016-02-10, 13:28)Fabianius Wrote: Could you also try playing your videos with hardware acceleration (DXVA2) enabled?

If that still doesn't help, try the new Kodi 16. It uses DirectX 11.

Hardware acceleration produces strange colors in my case so I disabled it.
I'm waiting for the official release of Jarvis.

My video drivers are DirectX 12 could that be an issue?
I doubt the final will fix your problem if the devs dont know what to fix.

That intel card uses DX12 as the default DX command set? or do you mean win 10 has DX12 - Totally different btw.
(2016-02-10, 23:25)Derek Wrote: I doubt the final will fix your problem if the devs dont know what to fix.

That intel card uses DX12 as the default DX command set? or do you mean win 10 has DX12 - Totally different btw.

Well my logs were attached to this thread. I can re-attach them if needed.
This should give an indication if anything is wrong in kodi.

I guess my chip supports DirectX 12 that's it but it should also support DirectX 11, 10 etc ... (backwards compatible) I suppose
(2016-02-10, 14:21)danjames92 Wrote: Honestly with all the trouble you've had, I'd just do a clean install and use Kodi DSPlayer. I have had zero problems (once configured correctly) using that plus LAV Filters and ReClock to pass bit-perfect PCM audio / stable 23Hz playback. I'll settle for perfectly sync'd audio with a advancedsettings.xml edit of 250ms any day of the week over my AVR saying a nice DTS-HD MA / TrueHD logo / slightly out of sync (even with AVR auto adjust) lipsync.

Realted to your issue if you don't want to go the DSPlayer route (although you should if you really care about picture / audio quality):

although I would like to make Kodi better by posting this issue I might just look for an alternative like Kodi DSPlayer indeed .. Any starter guides to set this up?
What do you mean with clean install? Windows (no can do) or just uninstall Kodi entrely with all config and settings and install + configure Kodi DSPlayer from scratch? (can do)
(2016-02-11, 21:22)iLux Wrote:
(2016-02-10, 14:21)danjames92 Wrote: Honestly with all the trouble you've had, I'd just do a clean install and use Kodi DSPlayer. I have had zero problems (once configured correctly) using that plus LAV Filters and ReClock to pass bit-perfect PCM audio / stable 23Hz playback. I'll settle for perfectly sync'd audio with a advancedsettings.xml edit of 250ms any day of the week over my AVR saying a nice DTS-HD MA / TrueHD logo / slightly out of sync (even with AVR auto adjust) lipsync.

although I would like to make Kodi better by posting this issue I might just look for an alternative like Kodi DSPlayer indeed .. Any starter guides to set this up?
What do you mean with clean install? Windows (no can do) or just uninstall Kodi entrely with all config and settings and install + configure Kodi DSPlayer from scratch? (can do)

it's all in the thread... first post.

yes clean install means starting from scratch..
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video stutter playing 23.976 fps movies on Kodi Isengard1