Can't boot to USB (UEFI Problems with HP Pavilion Mini 300-200 series)
My friend recently bought a HP Pavilion Mini 300-200 series and wants to put Kodibuntu on it. We've formatted a Linux Live USB memory stick for him to boot to but we can't change the UEFI boot order. We've done every possible tutorial on changing the boot order and even installed easy UEFI to change the boot order but we can't get it to work.

1 - Is there something we're doing wrong?
2 - Could we pull the HDD, format it and then put Kodibuntu on it.

Ideas? Suggestions?
sounds like your boot media isn't UEFI compatible. Use a tool like Rufus to create the install media from your Kodibuntu ISO, and be sure to use the option for UEFI
(2016-01-30, 17:45)zlooo Wrote: My friend recently bought a HP Pavilion Mini 300-200 series and wants to put Kodibuntu on it. We've formatted a Linux Live USB memory stick for him to boot to but we can't change the UEFI boot order. We've done every possible tutorial on changing the boot order and even installed easy UEFI to change the boot order but we can't get it to work.

1 - Is there something we're doing wrong?
2 - Could we pull the HDD, format it and then put Kodibuntu on it.

Ideas? Suggestions?

On my Pavilion Mini hitting the Escape key during boot up usually brings up a boot order menu. You might have to try it a few times to catch it at the right time, but it's there...

Edit: The boot order can be adjusted from within the BIOS menu also (F10 at boot). Both of these options are easier to get into if you do a "restart" from within Windows, rather than trying it from a cold boot.
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
Thanks Matt and WSS!

I think Matt has the right idea. I didn't know that it had to be UEFI compatible. I'll be telling my friend about this. We've been working together on this via phone. I'll post the results when he attempts to create the correct bootable media.

Stupid UEFI.... give me back my BIOS!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro4VWSBPJ00

Installing Ubuntu on a Pavilion Stream Mini...
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Just tried the UEFI boot program and had no success. Argh......... Here is my plan:

1 - Pull the HDD
2 - Plug it in to my HDD reader
3 - Format it via my computer with Kodibuntu
4 - Put it back in the HP Pavilion

Will this work? My friend will have to ship the computer (Or at least the HDD) to me to make this happen.
WSS:

We'll give this suggestion a try. I'll update on what happens.
Why not have your friend take a look at the video in the link I posted? I've installed (from a USB key) Win 8.1, Win 10, OpenElec without any issues.

In the BIOS he can change from UEFI to legacy boot so "regular" bootable media will work instead of UEFI if he wants.

Edit: Sorry, just saw your post #7. Give it a shot!
It's so weird... I'm hearing all this via phone but here is what seems to happen:

When he boots the screen is black and there is no F2, F10, Esc option to enter bios.
When he leaves Windows 10 via the troubleshooting options it won't boot to bios.

I'm wondering if something is wrong but for the life of us we can't switch the options so that he can change the boot order to from the memory stick. If he can't figure it out, he'll be sending it to me.
I've created four Kodibuntu machines and around a half dozen xbmcs on original xboxs. I've never had problems like this before with just getting to the install.
He might be having problems with the wireless keyboard not being recognized soon enough. Ask him to try a wired USB keyboard and as soon as he powers the Mini up start hitting the Esc or F10 keys. He should try this from a Windows restart, not a power off cold boot.
Ohhh! Very good point. I think that could be the issue. I'll send him this update. I hope he has a wired keyboard laying around. I have like 4 but that doesn't help the situation.
We're still utterly stuck.... argh...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't boot to USB (UEFI Problems with HP Pavilion Mini 300-200 series)0