Live TV playback picture freezing / fragments
Am using Kodi 15.2 with NextPVR and a TBS 6281 dual tuner card on a Windows 10 PC. Am having major problems when watching live TV: sometimes the picture freezes and the channel has to be restarted; sometime the picture fragments momentarily, and sometimes it jumps several minutes back in time.

However if I *record* live TV the recording never seems to suffer from any of these issues.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this, or how I could diagnose?

Many thanks

Andy
One difference between live and recorded TV is how much data can be buffered. Recorded TV is a complete record which means a client can completely fill its buffer. Live TV delivers data in bursts which by its very nature means that a client's buffer cannot be filled to the same extent as a recorded show.
As a result, disruptions in the data stream is more easily dealt with from a recording than from a live source in my opinion.
(2016-01-31, 20:36)jmooremcc Wrote: One difference between live and recorded TV is how much data can be buffered. Recorded TV is a complete record which means a client can completely fill its buffer. Live TV delivers data in bursts which by its very nature means that a client's buffer cannot be filled to the same extent as a recorded show.
As a result, disruptions in the data stream is more easily dealt with from a recording than from a live source in my opinion.

Aha indeed buffering got me on the right track - added advancedsettings.xml contents as http://iptvtalk.org/showthread.php?3320-...ems-Solved and it seems to be fixed... Smile
(2016-01-31, 21:41)erevolt Wrote: Aha indeed buffering got me on the right track - added advancedsettings.xml contents as http://iptvtalk.org/showthread.php?3320-...ems-Solved and it seems to be fixed... Smile

Just a heads up, in case you havn't tweaked the advancedsettings.xml in your link,

This is the bit that makes Kodi buffer the LiveTV:

Code:
<pvr>
        <minvideocachelevel>60</minvideocachelevel>
        <minaudiocachelevel>60</minaudiocachelevel>
    </pvr>

I would suggest playing around with the value, I seem to remember reading that the default value is 15, you want to set it higher so you don’t get stuttering and freezing but not too high so it buffers and increases the channel changes, I get smooth playback and channel changes is ~1-2 seconds, my settings are below, took a bit of time trying to get the optimal level!:

Code:
<pvr>
        <minvideocachelevel>20</minvideocachelevel>
        <minaudiocachelevel>20</minaudiocachelevel>
    </pvr>
Many thanks I will play with that value Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV playback picture freezing / fragments0