Going crazy, any suggestions?
Hello all,
Very new to Kodi but I saw it at a friends house and had to have it. He was just running the regular fire stick on a pretty basic TV. I'm looking for much more if I can get it. First, I have read as many threads as I can find about hardware choices but can't seem to find what I'm looking for in a solution. I like the Shield for speed, support and specs, but want full Android, not stripped down Android TV. Each time I get close to pulling the trigger, I hit a wall. Chipsets, Android TV only, No 4K Netflix, sketchy support for firmware. Driving me nuts. Please, take a moment to review my needs/hopes and provide equipment suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE:
Best Picture Quality for Streaming Kodi and Others
Games not that important, I have PS4 and Xbox
4K as much as possible, NetFlix and beyond (have super nice Sony 4k TV)
Full Android - Play store is a must for me, no Android TV (Shield Bummer)
USB 2.0
Ability to add external HD or large Micro SD
IR would be nice so I could control with my Harmony Ultimate Remote
I have 802.11ac
Not so worried about cost
If you want 4K Netflix the Shield or AFTV2 are the only choices (aside from a selection of 'smart' TVs). If you can live with 1080 Netflix then the Wetek Core will give you the 'full' android OS. Since neither the Shield nor AFTV2 have have full android then you aren't going to get everything you want.
No 4K Netflix in Fire TV or Stick. You'll need nVidia Shield TV for this. Also, would be best choice based on remaining 'WOULD LIKE TO HAVE' you have.

BTW, what do you mean by "Play store is a must for me, no Android TV". Um, Android TV has Play store. If you mean all apps, especially those meant for tablets, just sideload them.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
If you're not afraid to run custom roms there is a full android rom available for the Shield over at XDA. I haven't gone to that yet, but I love my Shield for running Kodi. The limited Play Store is annoying, but Aptoid helps and you can also download stuff to your phone, use APK Extractor, and sideload it to the Shield.
There seems to be some misinformation about Android TV. It's not "stripped down" because underneath the leanback is still "Full Android".

The issue isn't that Android TV is "stripped down" the issue is compatibility, but this is no different that any other Android device. To be able to install an app from the Play Store the app has to be compatible with your device and Android version. Android TV is just a different "version" of Android and requires apps to have remote/controller support because TVs don't have touch screens.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-02-03, 01:52)hdmkv Wrote: No 4K Netflix in Fire TV or Stick. You'll need nVidia Shield TV for this. Also, would be best choice based on remaining 'WOULD LIKE TO HAVE' you have.

BTW, what do you mean by "Play store is a must for me, no Android TV". Um, Android TV has Play store. If you mean all apps, especially those meant for tablets, just sideload them.

The FireTV2 supports 4K Netflix... apparently.
"HDCP is an access control technology required by most content providers to play back protected digital content. You can only watch videos in 4K Ultra HD from Amazon Video and Netflix if your Fire TV is connected to an HDMI port that supports HDCP 2.2. Any other devices that are part of your home theater setup (e.g. HDMI receivers, sound bars, etc.) need to support HDCP 2.2 as well. For more information, go to About Content Protection."
Source: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/...=201859000

Also not every single app (though I agree the vast majority of them are) is compatible with ATVOS devices even if you side load it.
Seems you're right... previously it didn't support 4K Netflix.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Big Big sigh... it all in the Sticky thread....

Compare Streaming Media Players HERE

Unfortunately for the 2015 Fire TV its only "Approved" Apps that can output 4K. Those being Netflix and YouTube and now the Smithsonian App.

You will get no 4K out of Kodi on the FireTV
http://www.aftvnews.com/4k-video-output-...evelopers/

My new 4K TV came with a 4K Android TV App built in.
I would not be basing my device choices just for 4K Netflix requirement alone.

IR Remote control is yesterdays News. It all RF Wireless for superior ultra responsive control these days, no need to point the remote at the media player at all.

Hey guys...thanks for all the input. Truly! I don't mean to say Android TV is stripped, possibly potentially limited on some important apps I will want to run might sum it up better. I have always wanted to run my Vera Home Automation Apps on my TV, full access to Play Store will (should) allow me to do that. Wrxtasy, no need to sigh, I gave your thread many reads before posting. The no 4k NetFlix was a head scratcher, but its really not a big deal. I have Smart TV with 4k Netflix and have no issue playing the limited 4k options when I need them. Removing that from the equation, I seem to have taken the same direction you have Wrxtsy, the WeTek Core. I was very relieved to have finally made a decission. Sadly, when I went to order, I had to put my name of a reserve list. Dang It!! You guys now how it is, I want my gadget yesterday and can't wait to spend a couple of sleepless nighs configuring/loading it up and trying it out. I did see some from Hong Kong sellers (off site). Any opinions on those? Tthe fear of clones has me reluctant to take the plunge on those options. What do you all think about that box for my scenario? The support and specs look pretty sweet excluding the 4k NetFlix. Is there anything else I stand to miss with that box. Also, does anyone know the size limit of the Micro SD for the Core unit. Guessing I could always run external HD? Finally, one thing I really hope would work with the Core box, the voice commans for my automation software. From my phone ortablet, I can hit a mic app and the phone or tablet will run automation scenes from voice commands I give the device. It would be so nice if I could hit the mic on the Core remote and have it launch automation commands. I'm probably dreaming thouh (for now).

On the topic of IR remote option, my Harmony Ultimate is RF already. It controls all the IR devices in my audio cab, not sure how I would integrate control of the WeTek from the harmony. Not a game changer, it would just be nice to use a single remote from source to source as I do now.

Thanks again...can't wait to get this up and running!!
I would not be buying a Core from a reseller due to warranty return issues if it came to that. Purchase straight from the WeTek source.

All those other specific question should be asked over in the WeTek Core thread, where the Android WeTek Dev. Christian Troy will give you direct answers as he knows the Android Lollipop OS pretty darn well.

I'm not sure about IR Harmony Remote control, but anything may be possible with custom configuring.
IR is only used on the Core for ON/Off/Standby

External HDD's on any type of ARM media device should be low powered, modern 2.5" USB 2.0/3.0 or externally powered for maximum reliability.

Good advice, will move my questions in that direction. Let ya know if I can get my hands on the real deal when possible. Thanks!
Just an update, with no idea of a possible ship date from WeTek, I took the plunge and ordered the Minix U1 instead. Looks like a great box for my needs. Wrxtasy has stated many times on many posts how important the support/firmware updates are when making a choice on equipment, Minix seems to have a good rep for their support and the specs got my attention for sure. I like the fact they went right to work addressing bugs and audio needs of users. Should have the box in hand for the weekend! Super excited. Been running Kodi off my old Galaxy 10.5 with hdmi until I determined my box choice. Looking forward to having my tablet while I watch movies again, not to mention the quality improvements. Can anyone suggest a good VPN or thread that helps explain how to use them with an external box like the Minix? Also, Wrxtasy, you mentioned the use of external HD. Do you have any suggestions or favorites?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Going crazy, any suggestions?0