I haven't had any time yet to try and fix the remaining issue (see below), so I didn't PR it against master, but I saw people asking for an always-on-top option during Jarvis beta phase. So I figured I could just provide the patch as-is for now.
How does it work?
The patch provides an option in System -> Video output (settings level: Advanced or higher) that makes Kodi the topmost window, ie. other windows won't be able to cover it. Also, in true fullscreen mode, it won't automatically minimize when losing focus. This is particularly useful for multi-screen setups, so you can watch stuff with Kodi on one screen while working with other programs on another screen.
NB: The option is disabled by default, you will have to explicitly enable it!
How to get it?
- Precompiled Setup: Kodi 17.1 with Always-on-Top patch
- Github repo: Kodi 17.1 with Always-on-Top patch
- Build manually: Apply these commits to the Kodi Krypton branch and compile.
- Precompiled Setup: Kodi 16.1 with Always-on-Top patch
- Github repo: Kodi 16.1 with Always-on-Top patch
- Build manually: Apply these commits to the Kodi Jarvis branch and compile.
- Precompiled Setup: Kodi 15.2 with DX11 and Always-on-Top patch
- Github repo: Kodi 15.2 with DX11 and Always-on-Top patch
- Build manually: Patch the Kodi Isengard branch with afedchin's appropriate DirectX11 branch, then apply these three commits and compile.
Known issue (only applies to true fullscreen mode):
- If another always-on-top window pops up behind Kodi during video playback, Kodi will fall back to "fullscreen window" mode.
- If another always-on-top window pops up behind Kodi while the Kodi GUI is active, the GUI will freeze (not hang - you can still work blindly).
2016-02-04 - Added Github repo for your convenience.
2016-02-05 - Updated Jarvis build to 16.0 RC3
2016-02-21 - Minor improvements (Jarvis branch only); Update to 16.0 Final
2016-03-07 - Added 16.1 RC1 build
2016-04-18 - Better late than never: Updated Jarvis build to 16.1 RC2
2016-04-24 - Updated Jarvis build to 16.1 Final
2016-10-28 - Added Krypton build
2016-12-12 - Updated Krypton build to 17.0 Beta 6
2016-12-19 - Updated Krypton build to 17.0 Beta 7
2017-01-17 - Updated Krypton build to 17.0 RC 3
2017-02-07 - Updated Krypton build to 17.0 Final
2017-03-23 - Updated Krypton build to 17.1 (running external programs not fixed yet, too busy with real life, sorry...)