[Windows] Keep Kodi Always-on-Top (instead of minimizing on focus loss)
Revisiting my previous proposal of an always-on-top option for Kodi (see here and here et al. in the DX11 test thread).

I haven't had any time yet to try and fix the remaining issue (see below), so I didn't PR it against master, but I saw people asking for an always-on-top option during Jarvis beta phase. So I figured I could just provide the patch as-is for now.

How does it work?

The patch provides an option in System -> Video output (settings level: Advanced or higher) that makes Kodi the topmost window, ie. other windows won't be able to cover it. Also, in true fullscreen mode, it won't automatically minimize when losing focus. This is particularly useful for multi-screen setups, so you can watch stuff with Kodi on one screen while working with other programs on another screen.
NB: The option is disabled by default, you will have to explicitly enable it!

How to get it?

Krypton: Jarvis: Isengard:
Known issue (only applies to true fullscreen mode):
  • If another always-on-top window pops up behind Kodi during video playback, Kodi will fall back to "fullscreen window" mode.
  • If another always-on-top window pops up behind Kodi while the Kodi GUI is active, the GUI will freeze (not hang - you can still work blindly).
Once I figure out a way to work around these issues without breaking anything else, I will PR this. Enjoy.

Edit:
2016-02-04 - Added Github repo for your convenience.
2016-02-05 - Updated Jarvis build to 16.0 RC3
2016-02-21 - Minor improvements (Jarvis branch only); Update to 16.0 Final
2016-03-07 - Added 16.1 RC1 build
2016-04-18 - Better late than never: Updated Jarvis build to 16.1 RC2
2016-04-24 - Updated Jarvis build to 16.1 Final
2016-10-28 - Added Krypton build
2016-12-12 - Updated Krypton build to 17.0 Beta 6
2016-12-19 - Updated Krypton build to 17.0 Beta 7
2017-01-17 - Updated Krypton build to 17.0 RC 3
2017-02-07 - Updated Krypton build to 17.0 Final
2017-03-23 - Updated Krypton build to 17.1
2017-06-23 - Sorry for delay, updated Krypton build to 17.3
2017-08-31 - Updated Krypton build to 17.4
2017-10-27 - Updated Krypton build to 17.5
2017-11-26 - Updated Krypton build to 17.6 (running external programs not fixed yet, too busy with real life, sorry...)
It doesn't work.

I got "Precompiled Setup: Kodi 16.0 with Always-on-Top patch"

It doesn't stay on top
(2016-02-02, 21:28)Shine Wrote: How does it work?

The patch provides an option in System -> Video output (settings level: Advanced or higher) that makes Kodi the topmost window, ie. other windows won't be able to cover it. Also, in true fullscreen mode, it won't automatically minimize when losing focus. This is particularly useful for multi-screen setups, so you can watch stuff with Kodi on one screen while working with other programs on another screen.
NB: The option is disabled by default, you will have to explicitly enable it!
Please note the text in red.
If it still fails after you have enabled the option, please post a debug log.
Hello Shine,
I'm using Kodi on a Windows box, dedicated for my media center, so keeping it on top of everything seems like a good idea.

However I'm not sure why it would loose focus? I'm controlling the box with Yatse so I will not alt-tab or anything...

Is there something I'm missing?
You're right, on a dedicated HTPC box, it's less likely that something will cause Kodi to lose focus. A virus scanner warning or update message maybe, or something else that you have running in the background that may randomly pop up at times. As I wrote above, this option is more useful for multi screen setups.
Thanks! I didn't know there were anything to be done. That the patch had taken care of it all. I'll that. Thanks
Hi, thank you! I have the same issue regarding auto minimizing...

Your patch also works fine even for Jarvis Offical Release?
Let me know, i installed it yesterday...i'm only one?

For me all it's fine. Thank you...till now Smile
Thanks alot - finally a working solution for this damn minimizing issue! Smile
Can I apply the patch overtop of my current build or do I have to uninstall Kodi and install this version with the patch? Then install addons, and build?
Been using this for a couple of weeks now, no more minimising issues, my main culprit was Playon TV (I use my HTPC as a Playon server for other clients around the house) and anti virus software...

What's the long term plan for this?
@schmoo78: You can install on top of your current official version, no uninstall necessary. And if you want to go back to official, you can also just install on top.

@AshG: I was planning to PR this, but that plan is currently stalled. See my comment in the other thread:
(2016-04-27, 18:40)Shine Wrote: Chances for a PR aren't very high right now, as I didn't manage to fully fix the issue mentioned. I can reclaim topmost, but after a few (successful) tries, DX will fall back to fake fullscreen mode regardless. I might need afedchin's help here, as I'm not a DirectX coder, but atm I'm quite busy with work and life, so I can't dedicate more time to Kodi than an occasional new build using my existing patches [...].
If anyone else wants to pick up from here in the meantime, feel free.
Thank you Shine. Worked perfectly overtop of my build. No more minimizing issues.
Just wanted to chime in that this worked for me. Running Windows 10. I disabled all notifications in the tray as well.
Thanks a lot for your work!

I'm Using Kodi at a dedicated HTPC that I manage by Teamviewer. Every time I had connected with Teamviewer There was the notice from Teamviewer on top which I could only close by Keyboard or mouse and not with the Remote. Thanks to you this Problem is now solved :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Keep Kodi Always-on-Top (instead of minimizing on focus loss)5