• 6(current)
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
(2016-03-08, 06:09)droidelec Wrote: Pay attention to end of clip when black pattern and white letters are shown, pixelation and distortion is there, no matter if Kodi or MoviePlayer.
noggin found it as well.
Yes, I see it now. Since I have seen this clip several times before, when I tested it earlier I didn't quite pay attention to the "The End", "Dedicated to the artists...." or "Dolby". I know you had mentioned in your PM to pay attention to the end, but I forgot about that Smile
Just received my odroid c2 today and quickly installed android. Setup the interface to 2160p60hz, android renders just fine but kodi fails to open. If I set the resolution to 1080p60hz everything seems to work just fine. Any thought? I'm not using any special version of kodi just the regular Jarvis version preinstalled

Thanks
Try WeTek Jarvis 16.0 mediaplayer and disable amcodec in Settings > Video > Acceleration.

WeTek Jarvis HERE

You may still find some codecs like Interlaced mpeg2 will still not Hardware decode and play properly with Android mediacodec acceleration.

(2016-03-08, 06:53)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-03-08, 06:09)droidelec Wrote: Pay attention to end of clip when black pattern and white letters are shown, pixelation and distortion is there, no matter if Kodi or MoviePlayer.
noggin found it as well.
Yes, I see it now. Since I have seen this clip several times before, when I tested it earlier I didn't quite pay attention to the "The End", "Dedicated to the artists...." or "Dolby". I know you had mentioned in your PM to pay attention to the end, but I forgot about that Smile

Yeah Smile Anyway you can play at PC or Shield, there is ok. We noticed this issue when we was testing DVB as there is happening more frequently.
(2016-03-08, 08:37)wrxtasy Wrote: Try WeTek Jarvis 16.0 mediaplayer and disable amcodec in Settings > Video > Acceleration.

WeTek Jarvis HERE

You may still find some codecs like Interlaced mpeg2 will still not Hardware decode and play properly with Android mediacodec acceleration.

Awesome! Thanks!

I need interlaced mpeg2 to watch live tv from my mythtv backend. Any idea when amcodec will be updated? I understand there's a bunch of new references that need to be updated.
WeTek may release another version of their WeTek mediaplayer with some S905 specific amcodec fixes in it, otherwise HardKernel will have to do some S905 Kernel patching work to cross-reference the old amcodec video display modes to work properly with Kodi.

You can watch 25/50fps Interlaced mpeg2 with amcodec enabled. 29.97fps mpeg2 resulted in a black screen if refresh rate switching. You could try turning Kodi's Dynamic Refresh rate switching OFF with amcodec enabled to improve amcodec playback compatibility and prevent the black screens and just put up with any minor video judder.

I've just been browsing the MINIX U1 support forums and users are reporting similar issues with amcodec on their S905 as well and switching to medfiacodec.

Thanks for the info. I might have to stick to amcodec for tv. With it disabled, my interlaced video has some issues. good thing I mainly use it for news and whatnot. Everything else is x264 or hevc
Quote:A Bunch Of New ARM Hardware Will Be Supported With Linux 4.6.
Over a dozen new ARM System-on-a-Chips are new to the mainline Linux 4.6 kernel code. The newly-supported platforms include.....Amlogic S905 (meson-gxbb), Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 (msm8996), Socionext UniPhier (uniphier-ph1), ARM Juno Development Platform (juno-r2), Allwinner A64 SoC, and Broadcom Vulcan (vulcan).

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...w-ARM-SoCs

(2016-03-23, 19:21)wrxtasy Wrote:
Quote:A Bunch Of New ARM Hardware Will Be Supported With Linux 4.6.
Over a dozen new ARM System-on-a-Chips are new to the mainline Linux 4.6 kernel code. The newly-supported platforms include.....Amlogic S905 (meson-gxbb), Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 (msm8996), Socionext UniPhier (uniphier-ph1), ARM Juno Development Platform (juno-r2), Allwinner A64 SoC, and Broadcom Vulcan (vulcan).

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...w-ARM-SoCs

Don't we need binary blobs to be 4.6-friendly too (or am I totally wrong)? Or is this happening? AIUI Hardkernel were working on 4.1LTS weren't they?

(i.e. is the 4.6 support for the CPU bit of the architecture but not the GPU/VPU stuff?)
Just got my new C2 last night from Ameridroid, nice company. I guess I'm one of the few running Linux. Haven't had a chance to install/attempt Kodi yet. I'm using an SD card and this thing is still really snappy. I'm impressed. The apt update servers are a little slow, but at least they are there. The first upgrade took a while as it apparently updated pretty much everything.

Is there any way to determine which revision of the S905 chipset one has? Maybe something that appears in dmesg output?

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you guys out.
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
(2016-03-27, 15:46)afremont Wrote: Just got my new C2 last night from Ameridroid, nice company. I guess I'm one of the few running Linux. Haven't had a chance to install/attempt Kodi yet. I'm using an SD card and this thing is still really snappy. I'm impressed. The apt update servers are a little slow, but at least they are there. The first upgrade took a while as it apparently updated pretty much everything.

Is there any way to determine which revision of the S905 chipset one has? Maybe something that appears in dmesg output?

Keep us posted on your journey!
(2016-03-27, 15:46)afremont Wrote: Just got my new C2 last night from Ameridroid, nice company. I guess I'm one of the few running Linux. Haven't had a chance to install/attempt Kodi yet. I'm using an SD card and this thing is still really snappy. I'm impressed. The apt update servers are a little slow, but at least they are there. The first upgrade took a while as it apparently updated pretty much everything.

I just installed Ubuntu on a 32GB eMMC last night. It's VERY quick isn't it? (Booting is ridiculously quick)
could anybody explain , 10 bit hevc decoding is perfect on android via kodi (wetek player) ,but what about output ,is it 10 bit or not ? what's the right path to achive true 10 bit signal on c2 hdmi ?
(2016-03-29, 10:48)seba1970 Wrote: could anybody explain , 10 bit hevc decoding is perfect on android via kodi (wetek player)
Not quite perfect. I have at least one clip which shows decoding artefacts in Wetek Player (it's a 2160p HEVC clip). Apparently these artefacts are caused by an issue since fixed in the revision of the S905H used in the Wetek boxes that are due soon? This may not be an issue for HEVC 10 bit stuff that is encoded by enthusiasts rather than broadcasters.
Quote: ,but what about output ,is it 10 bit or not ? what's the right path to achive true 10 bit signal on c2 hdmi ?
I'm currently geared up with Linux on my ODroid C2. 1080/50p and 2160/50p output modes are not reported as 10 or 12 bit according to my Sony UHD TV (well they aren't reported as 8 bit but they aren't reported as 10 bit or 12 bit which I would expect. When I switch to my Sony Blu-ray player it is reported as 12 bit by the TV, so the TV reports non-8 bit modes I think. I don't have a 10 bit source to confirm this - but I have a strong suspicion we are currently in 8-bit territory with the C2)
Have just checked playing an HEVC Main 10 2160/50p file in Kodi under Ubuntu MATE on the C2. Plays fine with <10% on all CPUs. 1 drop and 3 skip at the start reported.

However my TV is not reporting 10 or 12 bit input, so I assume it is being truncated to 8 bit between decode and output.

The artefacts I was warned about are present in both the Ubuntu and Android Kodi versions I've played it in.

Also would not recommend playing 720p (and to a lesser degree 1080p) in 2160p mode - the upscaling is fixed and far-from-great, giving 720p jagged edges if you look closely (looks to be a nearest-neighbour style scale rather than anything nicer)
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $4610