v17 [Implemented] Open 'Series Record' dialogue with single keypress
Yep.
Maybe we should look at how the big boys do it when deciding how to invoke a series link. I was massively excited when I first heard about native Series Link support in Kodi, as I'm certain anyone who is serious about replacing a consumer Set Top Box with Kodi is. But to hide the feature in a context menu is, in my opinion, a terrible shame. There are a few ways that it could be made more prominent, with the ideal scenario being that all of these are available and the user can choose which is enabled.

As already suggested, support for triggering the Series Link dialogue direct from the EPG would be a good start. This gives users the power to map that to any keypress they like which also leads to a single remote button press solution.

Another way would by how the Sky's set top box does this. If you are in the EPG view and press [Rec] on a programme, a one-shot timer is automatically created for just that airing. Default padding options are applied. A second press of [Rec] on the same programme or any progamme which already has a one-shot recording set will enable a Series Link for that show. A third press removes the one-shot and Series Link timers.

I also think there should be a Series Link button in the info panel for a show.

Thoughts?
I like your original idea and will implement it exactly like this.

Really do not like the multi click approach you described. We have this nowhere in Kodi and I doubt that users will ever discover this functionality. No better way to "hide" a feature, imo. :-)
I guess maybe in the future the long press **may** get rolled out to other buttons? press for record, long press for "series link".... I appreciate it doesn't really help Beeswax now though!
(2016-02-09, 17:36)ksooo Wrote: I like your original idea and will implement it exactly like this.

Really do not like the multi click approach you described. We have this nowhere in Kodi and I doubt that users will ever discover this functionality. No better way to "hide" a feature, imo. :-)

Fair enough, actually now I think about it, the multi-click thing was actually from Windows Media Center and it was pretty nice. I get what you mean by it making it a hidden feature but remember that it was supplementary to more visible and menu-driven methods of creating Series Links, it was a cool shortcut which you wouldn't know about immediately but once you'd discovered, would always use.

Anyway, I'm stoked to hear this is now officially on your radar as something to implement and I look forward very much to seeing it one day in the (not too distant?) future!
Well, even if implementation would be finished the next days, this feature will not make it into Jarvis, which is about to be released very "soon". Feature freeze for Jarvis has passed long time ago. You will have to wait for Krypton, sorry.
Cool, I was secretly hoping you would say Krypton and not something beginning with L! I wasn't expecting anything in Jarvis for a second, I operate within the bounds of reason Smile I'd risk nightlies in a heartbeat for this!
Hi ksooo, sorry to pester, have you had any time to look into this? Is inclusion in Krypton still realistic?
It is already included in Krypton. :-)

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/9370/c...faaf4127d7
Shocked Yeeeeesssssssss! Thank you!
Well, my home setup is finally ready for Krypton so the first thing I did was try this out, and it works beautifully! My keyboard.xml contains the following section:

Code:
<tvguide>
    <keyboard>
        <r>Record</r>
        <d>showtimerrule</d>
    </keyboard>
</tvguide>

And hitting 'd' on any program (which I'll map to a remote press) now brings up the Series Link window for that show! This is so great, ksooo I will love you always for this.

edit: example keyboard.xml section where long press of 'r' (which is the Record button on my remote) does a Series Link:

Code:
<tvguide>
    <keyboard>
        <r>Record</r>
        <r mod="longpress">showtimerrule</r>
    </keyboard>
</tvguide>

Awesome!!!
@beeswax thanks, glad you like it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Implemented] Open 'Series Record' dialogue with single keypress0