Kodi causes windows to loss display connection
Question 
03-02-2016

System specs:
Kodi 15.2
Windows 8.1 Pro (latest update)
AMD Athlon™ II X3 455 Processor, 3300 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 3 Logical Processor(s)
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 5450
AMD High Definition Audio Device
Display: Panasonic TH-42PZ85e

These are the Debug and Crash Logs
Same debug log on xbmclogs.com

Problem:
Kodi crashes a few seconds after startup. Which does not happen each and every-time.

When Kodi starts I will see the main menu and also that the library being updated. At this point the screen "blinks" / refreshes (as if it was changing video input channel).
And then it can go 2 ways; either it works fine and will keep working fine OR the screen goes Black and there is no video input signal anymore.
Windows functions fine because I can connect to it by Windows Remote Desktop and can see Kodi as a separate window. From here I can use Task Manager to shutdown Kodi.

Debug logger was active at the moment when Kodi did crash.

Attempt to solve the issue:
This issue has been going on since Kodi 14, 15.1 and now 15.2.
Each time I have uninstalled Kodi completely and made sure there where no install file left behind.

I have removed and installed the latest video drivers for my video card a couple of times.

I have tried the following system settings within Kodi, which did not make a difference:
- Use full-screen window
- Black other displays

I hope someone can shed some lights on to this.

A thank you in advance.

04-02-2016 renamed Post title >> Kodi causes windows to loss display connection <<

I started doing more test and I am quite certain that Kodi is causing this.
What I did is:
Started my HTPC and waited until Kodi started and did the refresh screen thing.
Screen when black again and there was a loss of video input signal.

Instead of using Remote Desktop I used an app similar to TeamViewer.
With it I could see that Kodi was still running, this was not the case when I used Windows Remote Desktop
What was more interesting is that windows has lost it's connection to the display,
I removed the HDMI cable from mt display waited a couple of seconds and reconnected it again. This this not cause the display to be detected.
After this I put Kodi in Windowed mode and within Windows "screen resolution" I click on the "Detect" button whereby Windows found the display again and it staid that way.

I am quite certain that Kodi does something at it's startup with screen detection and/or refreshing that causes windows to loss his connection to the display.

The loss of display connection does not happen when Kodi starts in Windowed mode instead of full screen mode.
Which confirms my finding
sorry, misread the problem
No problem.
I did include your idea now anyway
Have you tried a fresh install in a standalone directory using the kodi.exe -p startup command, wont touch your current build and will rule out anything causing problems in your current install.

Stick it in say C:\Kodi and run C:\Kodi.exe -p and it'll keep it all standalone in the directory without touching your other install.

If it works export your video database and import it into the new install, and you could copy your addons although i'd use caution incase its one of those; but a good way to troubleshoot yourself without waiting for the magic answer from other people who are busy coding Kodi.
I am not sure where you got the impression that I was waiting but your guidance much appreciated.
Maybe you just pointed me in the right direction.

It works fine when using kodi as a fresh install and in standalone mode.

Come to thing of it, I did do something similar before when re-installing Kodi. Each time I installed Kodi from 14.x to 15.1 and from 15.1 to 15.2 I did a fresh install.
Then it worked fine for some time. After a while lossing display connection at startup got sporadic.
Because it got sporadic it never occurred to me that maybe one of the add-ons could be the cause.

Do you now if there is a some sort of a startup log that can tell me which add-ons are starting with Kodi.?
(2016-02-05, 23:01)Phyxius Wrote: I am not sure where you got the impression that I was waiting but your guidance much appreciated.
Maybe you just pointed me in the right direction.

It works fine when using kodi as a fresh install and in standalone mode.

Come to thing of it, I did do something similar before when re-installing Kodi. Each time I installed Kodi from 14.x to 15.1 and from 15.1 to 15.2 I did a fresh install.
Then it worked fine for some time. After a while lossing display connection at startup got sporadic.
Because it got sporadic it never occurred to me that maybe one of the add-ons could be the cause.

Do you now if there is a some sort of a startup log that can tell me which add-ons are starting with Kodi.?

I meant no disrespect in the waiting comment i just thought you could maybe get it going yourself using the method i suggested rather than someone finding the problem for you.

If you add debug level to the log it should list which addons are loading in the log file, but glad its working for you i used a similar was to get mine working with Jarvis.
Looking at the debug log, see initial post
Not sure where to look at.

Do you have any pointers/tips?
Try v16 if it helps
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi causes windows to loss display connection0