Watch Live DVD's
Hey there,
I'm a first-timer in the media center world. I'm a handy computer builder though, so I thought Kodi sounded cool.
I wanted to know whether I could hook up my current boxes to the Pi, so that I only needed one video and audio output to my TV and speakers. I want to have to avoid switching inputs and all that. Is it possible to route my DVD and CD player through the Pi, and manage through the software? Is this too demanding for Pi hardware, and do I need to build something a bit more complex? Or this just not possible with Kodi? I want to have just one audio line and one video line running to my AV players.
Thanks so much!
Coldghost67

Edit: One main feature I want to have is the ability to just run to the library, get a DVD, and play. I don't need to use my particular DVD player necessarily, I just want to avoid having to convert DVD's and all that jazz. I don't mind buying an addon DVD drive. It's just, as I was reading, I was seeing all this stuff about encoding and encryption, and that sounded somewhat complex.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Media_stubs will do the trick. Idk about the Pi with an external HDD though.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
I have to ask why do you want only one connection to your TV? Does your TV only have one input?

If you only want one connection, you could buy an HDMI switch and have the Pi manage the switching for you in software, assuming the switch has an API that allows that or you could configure it through IR.

If you can live with more than one connection going to your TV...I use a simple USB to RS-232 dongle that attaches to the Pi and my TV. A simple script changes the input between my TV STB, game, and Pi. Ethernet would be an option if your TV supports it.

Or are you talking a USB CD player and USB DVD player? You didn't describe your "boxes" at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Watch Live DVD's0