Android AFT Gen 3 OS v5.0.5 Has Stopped Working
I thought anyone following this thread might find it interesting that my second AFT finally stopped working this morning. Sure enough, I checked and over night it had updated itself to v5.0.5 of the OS.

I grabbed these instructions and 5 minutes later everything was working again. Also gave me an excuse to back up my data.
Kodi is SLOWER after the upgrade to AFTV OS 5.0.5

Here's an interesting outcome of the upgrade on the AFTV.

BEFORE the upgrade to OS 5.0.x, I kept my data in a folder called "kodi_data" at the root of the USB drive.

AFTER the upgrade, I was forced to put my data in the folder called, /root/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files.

I can now say with some certainty that things are about 50% slower in the new location with exactly the same hardware.

I had used the root location for months and months, so while I can't provide any measurements of speed, I know the performance well. The new location takes a few seconds to show the posters and show names when you go into an area of the library.

It's still usable, but I am disappointed that there is now a multi-second delay where there used to be a sub-second delay.
Moving the data folder does nothing for me on MX pro with 5.1.1. Just loads into a default Kodi. Doesn't look for the .kodi folder in the new location. Tried placing the text file in the "sd card" folder (shows as a shortcut on my system) as well as just dropping it off in the "/" directory (and that one vanishes when I restart)
Quit Kodi by using the quit option or shutdown menu from within Kodi.

In the root directory of the internal storage of your device, usually just mnt/sdcard (not mnt/sdcard/root) create a plain text file called: xbmc_env.properties

Note: You must use "xbmc" when noted above for the text and file name, even though the product is now called Kodi.

In xbmc_env.properties you need to tell Kodi where it's data will now be stored.
This will be done by creating a path statement like:
xbmc.data=/storage/sdcard0/external_sdcard/kodi_data

An Amazon Fire TV running OS to 5.0.5 and above changed the permissions related to the sdcard.

You must modified the xbmc_env.properties file to read (something like):

xbmc.data=/usbdisk/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files

Copy the folders on the kodi data to /usbdisk/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files. The "files" folder should contain folders that begin with "." - mine contains:

.kodi
.smb

I edited the xbmc_env.properties file locally, then pushed it to the Fire TV with these commands:

adb connect <my_internal_ip_address_of_the_firetv>
adb push "xbmc_env.properties" "mnt/sdcard/xbmc_env.properties"
adb disconnect
Technically you can buy an USB Hub which can connect to the electrical outlet by itself, thus using it to power a hard drive connected to it

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AFT Gen 3 OS v5.0.5 Has Stopped Working0