Linux Speed check on the RPI 2
Is there a way to do a speedtest on the RPI 2, I want to compare a few things, the speed on the WiFi adapter, speed when connected to my Bridge, and speed connected directly to the Router.
Use iperf
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
iperf is the usual way of testing network speed.
It's in the unofficial add-ons repo for OpenELEC or can be got with apt-get in OSMC/raspbian.
(2016-02-04, 16:10)popcornmix Wrote: iperf is the usual way of testing network speed.
It's in the unofficial add-ons repo for OpenELEC or can be got with apt-get in OSMC/raspbian.

Thanks I'll check it out, I assume I have to add the OE source to see their addons ??
I just noticed this thread, but I do not have get addons, since I'm on 6.0.1, so I assume it is a different process to get the addon ??

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=214145
Settings > Add-ons > Install from repository > OpenELEC Add-ons (official) > Add-on repository => now install "OpenELEC Add-ons (unofficial)

Once you've installed the "unofficial" repository, go through the above process but select the unofficial addon in step #4, and you'll find iperf in Program add-ons.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2016-02-04, 17:14)Milhouse Wrote: Settings > Add-ons > Install from repository > OpenELEC Add-ons (official) > Add-on repository => now install "OpenELEC Add-ons (unofficial)

Once you've installed the "unofficial" repository, go through the above process but select the unofficial addon in step #4, and you'll find iperf in Program add-ons.

I did look for that. but when I click on Install from Repo, I don't have the Openelec Add-ons
What do you have?
(2016-02-04, 17:56)Milhouse Wrote: What do you have?

I never installed the OE source, I don't want to mention the one I have as you guys don't talk about it here, but that is the only source I have setup. Do I need to enter the source for OE, if yes, what is it ??
I'm not sure why you are referring to sources - we're talking about add-ons, repositories. The "OpenELEC Add-ons (official)" repository is included/installed as standard.

If you've installed some add-on or repository that has screwed up your system - or your system isn't really official OpenELEC - then we can't help you unless you get rid of it/fix it.
(2016-02-04, 18:34)Milhouse Wrote: I'm not sure why you are referring to sources - we're talking about add-ons, repositories. The "OpenELEC Add-ons (official)" repository is included/installed as standard.

If you've installed some add-on or repository that has screwed up your system - or your system isn't really official OpenELEC - then we can't help you unless you get rid of it/fix it.

I'll have to check again when I get home, thanks
(2016-02-04, 17:56)Milhouse Wrote: What do you have?

You were correct, I found it and enable it, when I click on Iperth, it says it is a console only Add-on, I'm assuming there is another process to do the speedtest ??
No, now you login to OpenELEC using ssh (username: root, password: openelec) and run iperf. You'll also need iperf running on a PC in "server" mode at the "other end" of the network segment over which you want to measure the bandwidth. With iperf running at "both ends" of your network (one in server mode, the other in client mode) you can accurately measure the bandwidth that exists between them.

You might want to read this iperf tutorial: http://openmaniak.com/iperf.php
Thanks Millhouse, I will give it a show, cheers Wink
Hi. What about speedtest-cli ? I've installed in a RPi2 running OSMC and it is very good enough for testing the net speed. You only have to ignore the latency result.

https://github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Speed check on the RPI 20