v15 Chromebox/OE music file audio dropouts
I am having an ongoing issue with my music files playing thru OE Kodi on my Asus Chromebox. I have 2 WD network drives, a WD MyBookLiveDuo (NFS) for video content, and a WDMyCloud (SMB) for music files. Video content plays fine, but music files suffer from intermittent dropouts . Sometimes they will play fine for hours, other times, the dropouts happen quite often, driving me batty. I updated to latest OE build, changed storage location, still happens.
Here is a logfile of playing one FLAC track, it drops near the beginning & again near the end of the track. Files are not corrupted, they all play fine without issues on my Windows Kodi box

http://xbmclogs.com/p0ibo1pnq
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
wow over 60 reads & no ideas.

Here is another logfile, this one for a longer period

http://xbmclogs.com/p73n5mlpj
Everything is connected thru 1 GBit ports & switches using CAT6. While the Sinead song plays I transferred a couple GB video file from my desktop to the WD MyBookLiveDuo (nfs) on my network for video content, and you can hear a lot of dropouts, which made me think it is a network issue. Music is on a WDMyCloud (smb). But even after the file completed the move there are more drops after that. Thing is, if I disconnect the Chromebox, and connect my Win10 Kodi box, using the exact same ethernet cable/network storage, music file playback is 100% rock solid, even when moving data around during.
Problem solved- removed Chromebox from system, added back Windows 10 HTPC, working 100%

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!
I use chromeboxes to play huge Flac files with no problems. The only thing I might suggest is sharing your NAS with NFS or even FTP. SMB gave me some issues that I didn't bother to fight through.
(2016-02-09, 02:55)albertstroh77 Wrote: I use chromeboxes to play huge Flac files with no problems. The only thing I might suggest is sharing your NAS with NFS or even FTP. SMB gave me some issues that I didn't bother to fight through.
Thanks, I have tried going NFS, but I cannot get Kodi to work with the drive my music is stored on in NFS mode. Very frustrating, also because it didn't start doing it until the last several months, worked fine as SMB beforehand.
I haven't changed anything the whole time except for OE updates.
I thought I post my suggestions in the absence of many responses...

More learned/experienced user would suggest plugging a disk direct over USB (if you have that option) or copying the music files to local disk just to try.
My suggestion would be to run FTP transfer and pull a large file to the XBMC/Kodi , the speed on 100Mbit network should be around 8-11MB/s, on Gigabit at least twice that fast (depending on the source speed), my NAS does 60-90MB/s.
If you get much less you need to look at the network as being potentially the problem..., and yes NFS is old crap but faster than SMB.

None of the above explains why Kodi on Windows platform runs just fine. In the defense of Linux I can say that there must be hundreds of thousands of users without audio dropouts.
(2016-02-10, 11:02)astropolak Wrote: I thought I post my suggestions in the absence of many responses...

More learned/experienced user would suggest plugging a disk direct over USB (if you have that option) or copying the music files to local disk just to try.
My suggestion would be to run FTP transfer and pull a large file to the XBMC/Kodi , the speed on 100Mbit network should be around 8-11MB/s, on Gigabit at least twice that fast (depending on the source speed), my NAS does 60-90MB/s.
If you get much less you need to look at the network as being potentially the problem..., and yes NFS is old crap but faster than SMB.

None of the above explains why Kodi on Windows platform runs just fine. In the defense of Linux I can say that there must be hundreds of thousands of users without audio dropouts.
Yes, will try that, though I was really hoping to keep all my media accessible on network. My thruput to/from the MyCloud is excellent, so not sure it is a network issue. Everything was fine until about 6 months back when it started to happen regularly. Very puzzling...thank you!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chromebox/OE music file audio dropouts0