x265 support
currently i am using OE krypton nightly and have had no issues with playing 720p x265 files did run into the jittery playback with 1080p will OE ( Jarvis ) have x265 support or is that something only for the Krypton release?

also when i tested nightlies with OSMC i found the 720 x265 jittery. any reason for the difference if they are both based on Kodi 17 base?

thanks in advance .
How recently did you test OSMC? I think initially they dropped the hevc optimisations due to ffmpeg build issues.
I believe they have been including them for the last week or so.
it was 2 weeks ago that i tried OSMC unfortunately cant remember if it was 16 or 17 that i tested. i am going to be testing today's build of 17 now.
x265 is working perfectly now with todays build of OSMC 16.8.023 feb 5th. ran into 1 snag when updating as it didnt instal armv7-libcrossguid-osmc by default that i hadto manually install after.
also see that Jarvis RC 3 was just released today any ideas as to when a RC of OE or OSMC will be coming? the nightlies are great but having to redo my library each time i update, as i have been having to do with OE, is becoming painstaking.
We will only make Jarvis available in the stable repo when it reaches stable. This doesn't look far off.
(2016-02-05, 21:49)valeyard Wrote: x265 is working perfectly now with todays build of OSMC 16.8.023 feb 5th. ran into 1 snag when updating as it didnt instal armv7-libcrossguid-osmc by default that i hadto manually install after.
also see that Jarvis RC 3 was just released today any ideas as to when a RC of OE or OSMC will be coming? the nightlies are great but having to redo my library each time i update, as i have been having to do with OE, is becoming painstaking.

what you running it on?
So the raspberry pi 2 can play x265 files now. Awesome I thought the raspberry pi wasn't powerful enough for this. Great work guys Big Grin
(2016-02-10, 14:32)the_bo Wrote: So the raspberry pi 2 can play x265 files now. Awesome I thought the raspberry pi wasn't powerful enough for this. Great work guys Big Grin

I didn't think so either. Awesome! :-)
(2016-02-05, 21:49)valeyard Wrote: x265 is working perfectly now with todays build of OSMC 16.8.023 feb 5th. ran into 1 snag when updating as it didnt instal armv7-libcrossguid-osmc by default that i hadto manually install after.

Tried that build on my pi2 and my files kept stuttering. Are there any changes to the config.txt needed and reference x265 files to try?
(2016-02-19, 09:06)welshblob Wrote: Tried that build on my pi2 and my files kept stuttering. Are there any changes to the config.txt needed and reference x265 files to try?

No changes needed. If you post a sample file we can check if it plays for others.

Don't use the linked version of OSMC - use the latest, there have been additional optimisations since then.
Currently I suspect almost all 720p files will play.
Simpler 1080p files will play.
Higher bitrate 1080p files may play with a heavy overclock.
There is still work ongoing so performance may improve further.
(2016-02-19, 13:56)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-02-19, 09:06)welshblob Wrote: Tried that build on my pi2 and my files kept stuttering. Are there any changes to the config.txt needed and reference x265 files to try?

No changes needed. If you post a sample file we can check if it plays for others.

Don't use the linked version of OSMC - use the latest, there have been additional optimisations since then.

Is x265 very heavy on the CPU?. Will browsing the GUI while playing x265 be slow.
(2016-02-19, 16:03)the_bo Wrote: Is x265 very heavy on the CPU?. Will browsing the GUI while playing x265 be slow.

Probably. I've never understood why people want to browse the gui when playin a video.
Personally I'd map the TAB key to stop and make kodi behave like any other media player...
(2016-02-19, 13:56)popcornmix Wrote:

Thanks Dom. I tried the latest osmc test build last night 16-8-30 I think but that resulted in 4 (maybe more) vertical stripes mostly showing green lines although the sound was OK. This was on a couple of different 720p files. Just trying the latest build now.

As for linking to the files well given the current situation here it's probably best that I don't hence I was wondering if there are any reference files to try. I'm really just having a play at the moment and seeing how my different devices are handling x265. Surprised that my Amazon 7 gen 5 appears to handle 720p and my hudl2 can even handle 1080p. The pi2 will be an excellent bonus as well so thanks for your work on this.

Edit : Also what's the best tool to use to determine the bitrates etc of encoded files Think I used to use mediainfo many years ago, does that still exist?
(2016-02-19, 19:18)welshblob Wrote: As for linking to the files well given the current situation here it's probably best that I don't hence I was wondering if there are any reference files to try. I'm really just having a play at the moment and seeing how my different devices are handling x265. Surprised that my Amazon 7 gen 5 appears to handle 720p and my hudl2 can even handle 1080p. The pi2 will be an excellent bonus as well so thanks for your work on this.

Edit : Also what's the best tool to use to determine the bitrates etc of encoded files Think I used to use mediainfo many years ago, does that still exist?

Sample files (e.g. a one or two minute chunk cut from a file) are considered acceptable here under "fair use" provisions.
Use mmg from mkvtoolnix to make mkv samples.

Check the sample file has the same issue as full file and use a hosting site like dropbox or google drive to provide a link.

Yes, mediainfo is still the standard tool for getting info on a file (including average bitrate).
Are we likely to see further improvements in x265 playback? I'm finding that for the most part a decent overclock will play 1080p files ok until there's lots of motion. When the action hots up the pi starts to stutter. Can we expect a bit more optimisation? Good work so far btw! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
x265 support0