Req Scrape All button
I have suggestion

please turn the SCRAPE MOVIES into a button + drop down button ..

So if I click

SCRAPE MOVIES button - can be customized to any dropdown menu item function.

----
If I click the drop down portion of SCRAPE MOVIES then it will show the normal drop down menu.

So it will function similiar to the Update library button + Update library button dropdown.

Right now SCRAPE MOVIES button only function as a Drop down button.

===

Reason for this feature request is because

Being able assign/customize a regularly used dropdown menu item to the Scrape Movies button will allow quicker access to it.

====
e.g.
Most of the time I find that I click SCRAPE MOVIES button to just do
-scrape all movies > automatic > all items
bump
Really, do you scrape all movies each time you have new movies? I think the most users want only to scrape the new ones. IMO it's too dangerous to change/add a funktion to the main button. So no, i wan't add that.
(2016-02-10, 21:16)DanCooper Wrote: Really, do you scrape all movies each time you have new movies? I think the most users want only to scrape the new ones. IMO it's too dangerous to change/add a funktion to the main button. So no, i wan't add that.

I do, because once I finish scraping
I move the movies to another folder.

I setup ember to read only from a specific folder for scanning new movies.

e.g. C:\Movies\Ember

Once it is done, I move the movies to another folder
e.g C:\Movies\Scanned

Else the list of movies in ember would be too long and slow down the program
and also could be subject to accidentally scanning all movies again.

If someone has hundreds/thousand of movies, do u think they would leave it inside a folder for scanning by ember?
It just slows down the program and is a extremely long list.

===
A good compromise is ..

Maybe u can implement the suggestion of two buttons,
but let us customized choose the function.

By default, it should scrape new movies only and missing items, thereby preventing the scenario you said.
But we then can choose a new function ourselves.
I'm here with madmax2. I do scanning locally and then move the files to my NAS. Whereas it never bothered me that I have to move my mouse to Scan -> All -> All Items but this discussion brings me to something I really miss in Ember: True Multi-Library, especially now with the native Kodi interface.

E.g. check out Calibre, an excellent OS ebook management tool: I can create multiple libraries, switch between them and copy / move content from one lib to another.

So for me the perfect workflow for new movies would be:
  1. In Ember switch to library "To be scanned"
  2. Scan with Ember
  3. Do Bulk Rename
  4. Tell Ember to move these movies to the scanned library (on DB and filesystem level)
  5. Switch to library "Scanned"
  6. Sync with Kodi
(2016-02-12, 10:27)Monk Wrote: I'm here with madmax2. I do scanning locally and then move the files to my NAS. Whereas it never bothered my that I have to move my mouse to Scan -> All -> All Items but this discussion brings me to something I really miss in Ember: True Multi-Library, especially now with the native Kodi interface.

E.g. check out Calibre, an excellent OS ebook management tool: I can create multiple libraries, switch between them and copy / move content from one lib to another.

So for me the perfect workflow for new movies would be:
  1. In Ember switch to library "To be scanned"
  2. Scan with Ember
  3. Do Bulk Rename
  4. Tell Ember to move these movies to the scanned library (on DB and filesystem level)
  5. Switch to library "Scanned"
  6. Sync with Kodi

It's not so much about being bother about doing Scan -> All -> All Items
It is a bit of chore of course needing to go through 2 drop down menu..

If u find that that u do that each time or often, then a simple Scrape Button (like Update Library button), one click to do that would make using Ember so much more nicer.

The main reason is "Ease of use".

That is also the reason why we use Ember in the first place is to stop needing to manually do things like scraping movies.

So anytime that we do something that breaks that "Ease of Use", we ask "could this have been done better or more simpler"
instead of the user need to manually do something repetitively.

If u implement two buttons, and make that Scrape Button > Scrape new Movies > All missing items. (default)
Then let us customize that button to another function that we use often.
So anyone who is happy with default can leave as is.

==
Also I don't believe as many ppl leave their entire movie library (which could be hundred to thousands of movies) to be listed in Ember

That is just too ridiculous, it would slow down Ember, and make it hard to manage the thousands of movies, and could be accidentally get Scrape All again.

There might be a few that do this..

But I believe most ppl just scrape the movies then move it out to another folder, drive, server, or NAS..

===
Your library management wish might be nice idea..
but it is probably too complex, time consuming for the programmer to change at this stage.

We are still waiting for next update of Youtube trailers, and I made suggestion/feature request last year.
(2016-02-12, 11:18)madmax2 Wrote: Also I don't believe as many ppl leave their entire movie library (which could be hundred to thousands of movies) to be listed in Ember

That is just too ridiculous, it would slow down Ember, and make it hard to manage the thousands of movies, and could be accidentally get Scrape All again.

But I believe most ppl just scrape the movies then move it out to another folder, drive, server, or NAS..

I belive you are wrong, I think that's how most users use it
If you just scrape All you have no control of what to download, so why use Ember at all, let Kodi do the scraping?
Personally I constant rescrape new movies for more or better artwork or updating info like votes, rankings etc..
(2016-02-12, 19:17)T-bird_se Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 11:18)madmax2 Wrote: Also I don't believe as many ppl leave their entire movie library (which could be hundred to thousands of movies) to be listed in Ember

I belive you are wrong, I think that's how most users use it
If you just scrape All you have no control of what to download, so why use Ember at all, let Kodi do the scraping?
Personally I constant rescrape new movies for more or better artwork or updating info like votes, rankings etc..

There's a lot of different ways people use Ember,
So I don't think you can say this is how most users do it.

Some have a folder only for scanning new movies by Ember.
Then they move the scanned movies to another folder location or drive, server or NAS etc..
This is how I do it, and the above user also does it this way.

Maybe for you u leave all your movie list in Ember.
Does it slow down the program, if u have thousands of movies?

What which drop down menu item do u use often?

==
The reason I don't use Kodi is because Kodi stores all movie data in one central location and on C:\.
I use an SSD, so I have limited space.

Also I prefer to keep all movie data in each movie folders, for easy to archive/backup purposes.

====

Anyway this argument is pointless,
cos I said let Users choose what function that scrape button would do.

So u can choose what u want, and I choose what I want.

And by default leave it as
Scrape New Movies> All missing items etc

If you don't like it, then choose something else...

Why would that be ridiculous? I currently have 3481 movies listed in ember and don't see any slowdown compared to a 100 movie library. You must be new at this, because managing 1000's of movies is as easy as 10 movies. Realistically, once you have the artwork the ONLY thing that needs to be updated would be rating/votes.
(2016-02-12, 21:43)Fail$tyle420 Wrote:

Why would that be ridiculous? I currently have 3481 movies listed in ember and don't see any slowdown compared to a 100 movie library. You must be new at this, because managing 1000's of movies is as easy as 10 movies. Realistically, once you have the artwork the ONLY thing that needs to be updated would be rating/votes.

I am not new at using scraping, I just use it differently to you.

Once I scraped my movies, it gets moved to another folder.
I don't need to re scraped it again, for new votes/ratings.

Ember is already slow at scraping as it is.
I don't need it to waste time scraping new votes/ratings.
===

Look everyone has their own way of using ember
So I am not going to continue with this argument of how ppl are using Ember.

===

If you don't like the function, then choose something else...

====

The purpose of the button is to let ppl choose a common function that they regularly use.
So u can choose whatever u like.
(2016-02-12, 21:48)madmax2 Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 21:43)Fail$tyle420 Wrote:

===

===

I do the same thing as you(but obviously I keep all my movies.). I have a local folder as a source. Update Library->Scrape New Movies->Automatic. I then inspect the new movies to make sure I like the artwork and everything is perfect. Move the movies over to the nas and do another library update. I know that it's not the fastest scraper, but if you literally only do small batches and never update info on your library then the speed is really not a problem.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, I was only CORRECTING you. I will say though, that last sentence is pretty damn ironic coming from the guy who has asked for so many changes to the program that you might as well learn code and write one yourself.

Dancooper, please don't change the function. It works just fine the way it is
(2016-02-12, 21:59)Fail$tyle420 Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 21:48)madmax2 Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 21:43)Fail$tyle420 Wrote: Why would that be ridiculous? I currently have 3481 movies listed in ember and don't see any slowdown compared to a 100 movie library. You must be new at this, because managing 1000's of movies is as easy as 10 movies. Realistically, once you have the artwork the ONLY thing that needs to be updated would be rating/votes.

===

===

I do the same thing as you(but obviously I keep all my movies.). I have a local folder as a source. Update Library->Scrape New Movies->Automatic. I then inspect the new movies to make sure I like the artwork and everything is perfect. Move the movies over to the nas and do another library update. I know that it's not the fastest scraper, but if you literally only do small batches and never update info on your library then the speed is really not a problem.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, I was only CORRECTING you. I will say though, that last sentence is pretty damn ironic coming from the guy who has asked for so many changes to the program that you might as well learn code and write one yourself.

What sentence and What you mean ironic?

Also I like the program, so I suggest changes or new features,
what is wrong with that?

I suggested to add youtube as a trailer source, cos it has many missing trailers that other sources don't have.

If no one suggest new features or changes,
then might as well keep it permanently at version 1.0.

===
I would love to make changes to the program myself.
But not everyone can code, or code as good.

==

BTW Ember is very slow scraper.
Probably the slowest scraper I have used.
And I have used a few others.

===

Also I did not say only to have one scrape button.

Did u look at my image.

There would still be two buttons.
The scrape button + the drop down menu.

People can still use the drop down menu by clicking the down arrow.

The only reason, I ask for this extra button is so ppl can choose what function they want to use that button for.

Why force people go through the cumbersome two layer drop down menu, if people only regularly use the same function.

If u find that u regularly use a dropdown button function, then set it to that function.

Set it to whatever you want
You can still use the dropdown arrow button to still go through the dropdown menu items

No one is forcing you to use the same function that I am using!!
Customize the scrape button to whatever function you regularly use.

It's about Ease of Use.

This is like Pinning your Favourite Most used programs to the Startmenu or Taskbar.
(2016-02-12, 22:11)madmax2 Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 21:59)Fail$tyle420 Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 21:48)madmax2 Wrote: I am not new at using scraping, I just use it differently to you.

===

===

What sentence and What you mean ironic?

Also I like the program, so I suggest changes or new features,
what is wrong with that?

I suggested to add youtube as a trailer source, cos it has many missing trailers that other sources don't have.

If no one suggest new features or changes,
then might as well keep it permanently at version 1.0.

===
I would love to make changes to the program myself.
But not everyone can code, or code as good.

==

BTW Ember is very slow scraper.
Probably the slowest scraper I have used.
And I have used a few others.

===

Also I did not say only to have one scrape button.

Did u look at my image.

There would still be two buttons.
The scrape button + the drop down menu.

People can still use the drop down menu by clicking the down arrow.

The only reason, I ask for this extra button is so ppl can choose what function they want to use that button for.

Why force people go through the cumbersome two layer drop down menu, if people only regularly use the same function.

If u find that u regularly use a dropdown button function, then set it to that function.

Set it to whatever you want
You can still use the dropdown arrow button to still go through the dropdown menu items

No one is forcing you to use the same function that I am using!!
Customize the scrape button to whatever function you regularly use.

It's about Ease of Use.

This is like Pinning your Favourite Most used programs to the Startmenu or Taskbar.

LOL Rofl Rofl Rofl
Quote:LOL Rofl Rofl Rofl
What is so funny?

Do u have any constructive things to say?

Since u don't like the idea..(which is your right)
But you can't see why this is useful..
Especially for repetitive tasks.

What is the point of talking to you anymore,

I will just ignore u from now one..

Goodbye.
I understood everything you said from the get go. My point is, you have asked for changes based on your OPINION of the usage by "most users." What I'm saying is, you are asking for a LOT of changes when what works works. This whole thread is a great example. I read everything you said and understood it. The developer said he wouldn't do it based on his reasons. You didn't like that and continued on.

Again, I simply corrected your statement in saying that it's ridiculous to have thousands of movies in ember because it slows it down. That's simply incorrect. It may be slow at retrieving info (compared to others and let's be honest....if it's that big a deal, do it over night.),but that has nothing to do with loading ember, cleaning the database all the local stuff..... but you said yourself that you wouldn't be scraping hundreds or thousands of movies at a time so really, +30 seconds per movie compared to other scrapers is not that big of a deal.

Furthermore, how can you accidentally click that button when you know what it does? It's like when you are a child and you touch the stove for the first time.....bet you didn't do that again did you? I don't disagree with you that what you propose makes sense, but the way it works is just fine. You should have just stopped when told no.

"Why force people go through the cumbersome two layer drop down menu," LMFAO that is the dumbest shit I have ever heard. Cumbersome? What are you 150 years old? Does it hurt you to click one more time?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scrape All button0