Question Regarding Camcorder DV AVI and MTS 1080/60p files
I am looking to build an HTPC to stream media files located on my office PC to a TV in my basement over gigabit LAN. I have not purchased any hardware or committed to any software yet. I am interested in Kodi but need to know whether it can play certain files. I have a bunch of home video from two camcorders. One is a Sony DCR-TRV38 a mini DV player which produces a DV AVI file. I have done a google search but cannot find any reliable info whether Kodi can stream this file type. I am not interested in converting to a different format like MPEG2. My current camcorder is a Panasonic HD-TM700 and produces an MTS file. I have it set to produce 1080/60p resolution files , Again, I am not interested in converting to a different format. Can Kodi handle these file types? Any recommendations regarding hardware, particularly for the 1080/60p resolution files which will be the most resource intense. BTW, this HTPC is only for streaming these media files. No gaming or other software duties. I was interested in raspberry pi but not sure if this is adequate for 1080/60p streaming. Any advice would be welcomed.
The easiest way to test is simply to install Kodi somewhere (anywhere) and try it... it'll play them or it won't. My money is on "it will": I have a Panasonic camera that produces 1080p .mts files, and Kodi plays them without issue (I don't know the frame rate, or even if that's really relevant - it's more about bitrate per frame, not the frame rate per se, as I understand it).

In terms of hardware... nearly every modern box will play 1080p H.264, even low-end Android things. The bigger issues seem to come from sound support (e.g. multi-channel passthrough), the fluidity of the interface, or support for other stuff like Netflix or Prime. If you're genuinely just streaming MTS files in stereo, you could probably use a mobile 'phone with HDMI out, and a Pi2 would do it AFAIK. Someone with that platform could chime in here, though (or I'll go and dig mine out and see...!).
(2016-02-06, 20:01)Prof Yaffle Wrote: The easiest way to test is simply to install Kodi somewhere (anywhere) and try it... it'll play them or it won't. My money is on "it will": I have a Panasonic camera that produces 1080p .mts files, and Kodi plays them without issue (I don't know the frame rate, or even if that's really relevant - it's more about bitrate per frame, not the frame rate per se, as I understand it).

In terms of hardware... nearly every modern box will play 1080p H.264, even low-end Android things. The bigger issues seem to come from sound support (e.g. multi-channel passthrough), the fluidity of the interface, or support for other stuff like Netflix or Prime. If you're genuinely just streaming MTS files in stereo, you could probably use a mobile 'phone with HDMI out, and a Pi2 would do it AFAIK. Someone with that platform could chime in here, though (or I'll go and dig mine out and see...!).

Yes, I anticipated that I would have to test trial on one of my other PC's, but I thought I would at least make a few initial inquires to maybe save me some time. The bitrate for the 1080/60p files is 28Mbps. Maybe that info may prove useful to someone. What about the DV AVI files? These are actually the ones I was most curious about. From what I read, this is not a very commonly supported format for streaming. Windows Media Center supports it but I have several media boxes (WD TV Live, Sony DVD player, PS3) that can play a lot of other formats but not DV AVI. Anyone have any info regarding this?
Upload a sample, and folks can then test a variety of hardware for you, perhaps?

There are live images of Kodi (Kodibuntu) if you have a system on which you can have a non-destructive play... or installing onto an Android 'phone takes precisely very little time whatsoever.
(2016-02-06, 22:46)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Upload a sample, and folks can then test a variety of hardware for you, perhaps?

There are live images of Kodi (Kodibuntu) if you have a system on which you can have a non-destructive play... or installing onto an Android 'phone takes precisely very little time whatsoever.

Decided to have a go at installing OpenELEC onto a spare SSD I had. Very easy installation! I can confirm that it plays DV AVI as well as the M2TS 1080/60p files on a desktop PC. No problems as I would expect with an overclocked Intel Q9650 CPU and a GeoForce GTX 550 Ti GPU. That leaves me with a decision regarding hardware. It sounds like Pi2 is all I would need. Will do a bit more research.

Thanks for the feedback!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question Regarding Camcorder DV AVI and MTS 1080/60p files0