which one is better for my htpc ( intel nuc)?
Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH with Intel Core i5 Processor and 2.5-Inch Drive Support 2.7 GHZ

or

Intel NUC NUC6i3SYH Desktop Computer - Core i3 i3-6100U 2.30 GHz - Mini PC BOXNUC6I3SYH

i use this htpc for mostly watching 3d hsbs movies, 2d movies, and tv shows. i am also using this htpc for watching live tv shows either on hdhomerun prime or ceton usb 4 tuners.

i am using windows 7 mostly.

which pc is suitable for it?
Both are sufficiently overkill for what you're looking to do
i need at least 2.0 ghz dual core for either hdhomerun prime or usb 4 tuners from ceton.

requirement is very simple.

play 3d hsbs movies
play 2d movies
play tv shows ( mkv files or avi files)
can watch live tv shows w/o slowing down

need dtshd or truehd audio of course

what do u recommend?
(2016-02-06, 21:35)rickyman Wrote: i need at least 2.0 ghz dual core for either hdhomerun prime or usb 4 tuners from ceton.

requirement is very simple.

play 3d hsbs movies
play 2d movies
play tv shows ( mkv files or avi files)
can watch live tv shows w/o slowing down

need dtshd or truehd audio of course

what do u recommend?

In view of what Matt Devo has told you, presumably the cheaper of the two.

Personally I have the first one and it is superb.
your list of requirements doesn't seem to require Windows - is there something else that does necessitate that? If not, and if you don't need HEVC playback capability, then a Haswell Celeron ChromeBox (refurbs can be found around $100) running OpenELEC would be more than sufficient. If you need Windows, and don't need HEVC, then get the Broadwell NUC, assuming it's cheaper. If you need Windows and HEVC, then the Skylake NUC is your best bet, assuming the Braswell NUC (or Beebox) doesn't have enough CPU for what you need.
what kind of power do i need to play h.265 ahd h.264 movie files?
only the skylake i5 will decode h265 in hardware, BUT only 8bit. None of your options have enough oomp to play 4k h265 10 bit files.
The same is also true for braswell, which is significantly cheaper.
I am testing a Beelink BT3 Mini PC , with the new Intel Cherry Trail (Atom x5-Z8300). It has genuine windows 10 and just came out. It seems to work great with Kodi running SiliconDust HdHome Prime. Uses less than 7 watts and has a Gigabit LAN which I use for the Prime. So far it has worked flawlessly and has no heat problems with the passive cooling. For a little north of $100USD...I think it is a bargain.
(2016-02-07, 10:13)wsnipex Wrote: only the skylake i5 will decode h265 in hardware, BUT only 8bit. None of your options have enough oomp to play 4k h265 10 bit files.
The same is also true for braswell, which is significantly cheaper.

I have the Braswell Pentium NUC. I run the OpenElec EGL dev build, click here, and it has no problem at all with h265 1080p and h265 720p.

I will guess that the new h265 10 bit 4k way super duper high quality content available in a sufficient number of titles is still quite a ways away.

I'm betting A Braswell NUC now replaced by the next generation after Braswell, in about a year, will be cheaper than a Skylake now.

If you want to order The Martian, day one, get a new 4k blue ray player.
Yeah, still quite ways to go, as in 2 months minus 7 days : http://www.amazon.com/The-Martian-4K-UHD...B01A7Q6E2Y Wink . Oh, and you Braswell NUC supports 4K h265 8bit too, not just 1080p.
Too bad I just have a 1080p tv. I'm not getting a new tv for at least a year or two.
Neither am i (love my plasma, waiting for cheaper 4K 65 inch++ OLEDs to come out before i upgrade my 1080p plasma), but i will be storing 4K media when it comes out, even if my TV cannot display it. Have no interest in re-ripping, re-buying or re-downloading the same media again the day i get a new TV.
sigh.. "cheaper 4K 65 inch++ OLEDs"

me wants now Sad Sad Sad
(2016-02-08, 00:41)smitopher Wrote: sigh.. "cheaper 4K 65 inch++ OLEDs"

me wants now Sad Sad Sad

Hehe, me too ,If i could find one for 2500-3000$ or less i'd buy it instantly. Even if i don't have the money right now, i'd probably take a loan from someone Smile . But right now, that price range only gets you 55 inch 4K OLEDs from LG, the 65 incher is in the 5000$ ballpark. And 55 inch LG plasma is what i have right now, i want something bigger after seeing the 100 inch projector setup a friend of mine has.

But hey, we're getting there, the first OLED from LG some years ago went for a whooping 15000 dollars.
(2016-02-07, 22:22)neutronspin Wrote: I am testing a Beelink BT3 Mini PC , with the new Intel Cherry Trail (Atom x5-Z8300). It has genuine windows 10 and just came out. It seems to work great with Kodi running SiliconDust HdHome Prime. Uses less than 7 watts and has a Gigabit LAN which I use for the Prime. So far it has worked flawlessly and has no heat problems with the passive cooling. For a little north of $100USD...I think it is a bargain.

Hey, that DOES look a lot better than the Rikomagi MK36s I just ordered. Specially because of the bigger disk capacity.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
which one is better for my htpc ( intel nuc)?0