How do i view tv with my tvtuner?
Kodi media center is very impressive.
Everything is super easy...
except for watching TV.

Where is the TeeVee button?
Where is the scan for channels button?
Where do I select my tv tuner?

I don't know why you went to all the trouble you did to make kodi the best media center anyone has ever seen and then neglect something so obvious.
I am fed up with chasing threads about frontends and backends and all manner of techno babel when all I need to do is click the TeeVee button which isn't there.

Can I get some brief and simple instructions for this please?
I am setting this up for an elderly man who cannot manage to do much except watch tv all day long.
It needs to be fairly simple.

Signed, frustrated.

Using Linux Mint 17.3 64bit (ubuntu 14.04).
p.s. I do not want or need a TV server.
Just want to watch TV with a TV tuner.
thanks
It's all in the wiki... PVR (wiki)
Kodi is built to work with various different live TV backends which is why you can't just push a button. Like teeedubb suggested you'll have to read the wiki.
Do you feel better now after venting? How about posting some relevant information so we can try to help you. For example starting with your tv tuner.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
The TV section of Kodi is specifically for viewing TV from a PVR backend. If you only want to watch live TV using a tuner you have installed on your system, or from a device that sits on your network and connects to your antenna (such as a HDHomeRun) that may or may not be possible, but it would not be under the TV section, which as you noted doesn't even appear unless you have enabled and configured a PVR addon (which, again, requires a PVR backend).

I am elderly myself but I still manged to install TVHeadEnd on a backend system. And no, it is not at all easy the FIRST time you do it, in part because the online configuration guides for TVHeadEnd leave a lot to be desired. And yes, you have to have a tuner of some kind (something to connect your TV antenna to, and yes you need one of those too), but you may be able to run TVHeadEnd or other backend software on the same system that you are running Kodi on. If you choose not to use a PVR backend (why? Do you really think this elderly man enjoys watching commercials, or being forced to watch TV on the networks' schedule?) then it may still be possible for Kodi to see and display the streaming video from the tuner but that would be in the VIDEO menu, possibly via an addon. In any case it's not going to just work without any configuration because Kodi has no idea what kind of tuner you have. And honestly most people do prefer to use a PVR backend, and those that think they don't need it have never tried it. Once you figure out how to skip commercials and watch TV when you want instead of when the stations offer it, you will never go back to just passively parking your butt in front of the TV and watching whatever is on. So there is no reason the Kodi developers would assume that people just want to watch live TV with no PVR capability.

If you just want easy to install and use, that's what devices like the Roku are for, but be aware that if you go that route you probably won't get your local stations (unless they have some way to utilize a hardware tuner; I have never owned one so I wouldn't know but I don't think they do) and you will probably need to pay for subscriptions to some of the content. Whereas, once you set up an antenna and tuner, you can watch local TV all day long for free, and if you have a PVR backend you can schedule it to record shows and then view them whenever you want. But just so you can't say I misled you, I am telling you right now that setting up TVHeadEnd the FIRST time is not particularly easy at all. Once you have done it the first time, you will understand how everything fits together and it will be a relative piece of cake from then on. Oh, and I use Linux, if you prefer Windows then you may want to look at MediaPortal instead of TVHeadEnd (there are other PVR backends besides those two, another popular one is NextPVR and then there is always MythTV, but I don't personally recommend MythTV (after having used it for over a year) because it has its own issues).
xmbclinuxuser,

Thanks for the blunt honesty and the technical info. I am technically savvy, but ran out of patience when trying to do something related to TV. I can tell you get other people venting over this issue. I stopped watching TV by my teenage years. I am 51 now. There is more important stuff to do in life like work. Thus, I didn't even know what PVR was when I got one word answers from some. For now I will just leave the TV part and recording to Kaffeine media player. Currently, my elderly friend is 75 and he uses Windows media center. I am moving him over to Linux due to Microsoft forcing everyone to go windows 10 and with windows 10 forcibly spying on users for monetary reasons. Windows media center is one click easy for LiveTV thus the let down with Kodi. Once again thanks.
(2016-02-07, 20:04)bash64 Wrote: xmbclinuxuser,

Thanks for the blunt honesty and the technical info. I am technically savvy, but ran out of patience when trying to do something related to TV. I can tell you get other people venting over this issue. I stopped watching TV by my teenage years. I am 51 now. There is more important stuff to do in life like work. Thus, I didn't even know what PVR was when I got one word answers from some. For now I will just leave the TV part and recording to Kaffeine media player. Currently, my elderly friend is 75 and he uses Windows media center. I am moving him over to Linux due to Microsoft forcing everyone to go windows 10 and with windows 10 forcibly spying on users for monetary reasons. Windows media center is one click easy for LiveTV thus the let down with Kodi. Once again thanks.

You're welcome. I think Microsoft really screwed the pooch when it came to Windows 10 in many ways, granted they had a system that anyone could set up and use (or so I am told, I not used Windows since Windows 2000 was the current version) but from what I have heard they have pretty much killed that off, and a lot of folks have hung onto Windows 7 or 8 as long as they could. Just FYI, Apple is no better, there are so many things that used to work in earlier versions of OS X that no longer work in El Capitan. Why software developers seem intent on breaking products that are working well (and yes, that sometimes applies to the Kodi developers too) is totally beyond me. But it is at the point where I am finding that there are things I used to be able to do in Windows and OS X that I can now only do in Linux. Just a couple days ago I found out that OS X will no longer recognize my camera when I plug it into the USB port but Ubuntu finds it with no problems whatsoever. So I understand your frustration completely.

That said, you still haven't mentioned the type of tuner you have. It is entirely possible that Kodi could at least play the live streams from it. If your friend is comfortable using Kaffeine media player that's fine, and it's certainly an option, but there may be times it would be easier to just view the local channels in Kodi. I still recommend that you (or if not you, someone with more patience and time on their hands) should think about setting him up with a PVR backend (in case anyone else hasn't figured it out, PVR stands for Personal Video Recorder, although most PVR software does much more than just record). The reason is that then he could have an on-screen guide of upcoming shows and select the ones he wants to record.

That said, if you really don't have the time and patience to set it up, watch for more companies entering this market that may have easier solutions. For example Silicon Dust (the people who make the HDHomeRun tuners) is supposed to be coming out with their own PVR soon, and there are a couple other manufacturers that make standalone PVR's for home viewers. The downside with most of them is you have to pay for a subscription to get EPG (Electronic Program Guide) data to populate the channel guide in the device. Whereas, with something like TVHeadEnd and Kodi, it is entirely possible to get EPG data free in the USA (or you can pay for it if you really want to) but again there's a bit of a learning curve on setting it up and it's entirely possible you'd get frustrated before you figure it out - I almost did.

I have to say that I completely understand where you are coming from, I hate it that everything is SO DAMN DIFFICULT, especially sometimes in the Linux world where developers still seem to labor under the impression that every Linux USER is a Linux EXPERT (hence my signature line). It's as if they think people spring from the womb as either Windows or Linux users, and if they are Windows users you have to spoon-feed them everything (and that's just accepted) but if they are Linux users they are born with a full understand of everything Linux and when they do run into something they don't understand, they want a challenge, and they want everything to be some kind of difficult puzzle! Of course that's not how it really is, but you would swear that's the mindset of some Linux developers and long-time Linux users.
We have two tuners. The WintTV HVR-950q and the HVR-1250. Both by Hauppauge.

I spent the last five years as a forutne 500 unix admin. I also did 5 years as a PC repair man and 5 years as a microsoft certifed professionsal and 3 years admining linux.
I am not ignorant, but in my old age I don't want to come home and tech everything. Spending a week of my life in forums was never my thing.
After being laid off a year ago I went linux cold turkey. It took me one year of my life to develop procedures for everything I now do in linux instead of windows.
It wasn't easy, just like this issue.

I converted my procedures into a book.

Have a look if you want. No charge. Free download.
Click the big green link at the bottom to download it.

http colon slash slash bettyboopdatabase.atwebpages.com/book/
Old age?
51?

Bloody hell.
lol, I thought someone might say that.
However, I suffer from severe diabetes, sleep apnea, and other medical conditions like high blood pressure.
I feel 90.
Not much point in me writing something trite then, eh? Blush
Nope.
:-P

Have a look at my ebook.
Even intermediate Linux users found it quite helpful.
(2016-02-07, 09:16)bash64 Wrote: p.s. I do not want or need a TV server.
Just want to watch TV with a TV tuner.
While you might not WANT to use a TV server (PVR backend), but you do NEED one to access a tv-tuner from inside Kodi.

Kodi simply have no native tuning capabilities today (which I agree is sad to todays modern convergence way of thinking), as a traditional client–server model is just how Kodi's PVR functunallity was architecturally designed by its developers.

My tip to you is to install OpenELEC on a dedicated PC to run Kodi because it comes with Tvheadend backend pre-installed.

You still have to configure it and your tv tuner via its web interface http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Configuring_Tvheadend
BTW: The answer to watching TV without all the trouble in Linux is Me-TV. Full , easy to use, setup wizard.
Better than Kaffeine media player.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do i view tv with my tvtuner?0