Kodibuntu and 5.1 sound
I have made the switch from Windows 10 to Kodibuntu. Like it much better as the computer is only used for Kodi anyway.

One issue I cannot figure out is sound. Any option I try with or without passthrough enabled, I cannot get 5.1 sound, only left and right front (no rear or center).

I have an Intel NUC with Mini-HDMI to HDMI (Sharp TV). From the Sharp TV, i use the optical out to Samsung surround sound system.

Still new to Kodi - how do I troubleshoot and/or configure? btw - 5.1 sound was working with Kodi (Jarvis) on Windows 10.
http://kodi.wiki/view/PulseAudio

If you are using pulse audio I'd consult this guide.

If you are using ALSA make sure it is set to two channel and that pass through is enable and that you select the formats your surround sound supports.

In my case I have mine set to AC3 pass through with everything else being transcoded to AC3 on the fly.
Kodibuntu doesn´t ship Pulseaudio!

@clarkes:

Make sure your TV supports audio passthtough. Some of them can´t!!

To get sound it would be best, if you use a direct connection from your NUC to the sound system. But I guess the sound system doesn´t have HDMI inputs. So if your TV doesn´t support audio passthrough, you´re out of luck and have to deal with 2.0 Stereo sound from your TV.

Be aware, that some TV´s only can do DolbyDigital passthrough to a sound system. DTS is not supported sometimes. So test with a DolbyDigital file. If this works and a DTS file does not work, disable everything DTS capable receiver in your audio settings and try again.

Greetings.
@David1977

Thanks for the info... I can check on my TV for passthrough. Is this a limitation on Kodibuntu, as I know it was working with Windows 10 and Kodi ?

No worries if so, I can go back to Windows... or will something like this work since my Samsung surround system lacks HDMI input?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5557
Don't know if this might be a limitation on OS side...I'm not a dev. Maybe someone else might know more in this case.

If it works under windows, it should work under Kodibuntu as well. But...like I said...should.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodibuntu and 5.1 sound0