Why can't a single computer host front & back ends?
I'm new to kodi and was reading the Complete Guide, but took notice when it said that at least 2 computers are required.

I definitely see the architectural benefits of separate front and backends, but why is it necessary?

I've been a user of both mythTV and Media Center, and so I'm no stranger to the tech. In my case I use my multiboot system as a TV, using Media Center, and I would like to simply install kodi on that system as it is a far superior front end to Media Center, IMO.

Why won't that work? It's a Windows 7 Ultimate box with 2.4 GHz quad core AMD processor, 8GB RAM, 3TB of disk. It's definitely overkill for watching TV, but unless there's some sort of conflict I don't understand the restriction. The guide said absolutely nothing about why at least 2 machines are required.
You absolutely can run everything from one computer. I had a similar setup for a while myself. Worked just fine.
The guide should probably be called "The complete guide to a multiple machine setup"
Quote:This guide will explain how to set up a personal video recording (“PVR”) system using a computer running Windows 7 and Windows Media Center to record live TV from an over the air antenna and then watch those programs on ordinary televisions using a smaller computer running Kodi (formerly known as XBMC) connected to your TV.

It is a guide on how to use two machines to create the beginning of up a multiple-machine setup.
There are obvious advantages to this type of setup (one machine to do the recordings, multiple small and cheap clients to playback)
Logically if you want to achieve a multiple machine setup, you need multiple machines.

That being said, you can definitely achieve the same with one machine - if you do not mind the disadvantages of a noisy machine next to your primary watching location.
I run a MythTV backend (using Mythbuntu 14.04) and Kodi (Isengard) on the same machine and it works really well for me.

Noise isn't too much of an issue as the OS is on a SSD. I get a (barely noticeable) ticking on the hard drive when TV is recording. Machine is virtually silent otherwise.
BBC Live Football Scores: Football scores notifications service.
script.squeezeinfo: shows what's playing on your Logitech Media Server
Hi everyone, I've updated the guide to indicate that using a single computer is possible. I've never been much interested in that configuration, since (1) I have multiple TVs and (2) I run Windows Media Center in a virtual machine that isn't capable of playing video at all.

I'm sorry if I caused any confusion. Smile
I welcome comments and suggestions for the Kodi (XBMC) Set-up Guide that I wrote.
You can read it here:  http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=193310

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why can't a single computer host front & back ends?0