• 22(current)
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
Thank you for this guide, it's a huge help. I have a 1080p Panasonic Plasma.
A couple of questions.

You give 3 example profiles
Code:
Resizes:
1080p -> 1080p
720p -> 1080p
SD -> 1080p

My Plasma can do 720, to you always recommend resizing anything below 1080 to 1080?
Or should I set up something like:
Code:
Resizes:
1080p -> 1080p
720p -> 720p
SD -> 720p

What do you do for video >1920 pixels? Create another profile to downsize? Using the 1080p -> 1080p profile can be taxing on my PC.

Also, MadVR always shows limited range (best guess), when I have Nvidia, LAV, MadVR & my TV all set to full range. Any ideas? (TV supports full range).

Thanks for the help.
(2017-04-28, 12:28)biship Wrote: Thank you for this guide, it's a huge help. I have a 1080p Panasonic Plasma.
A couple of questions.

You give 3 example profiles
Code:
Resizes:
1080p -> 1080p
720p -> 1080p
SD -> 1080p

My Plasma can do 720, to you always recommend resizing anything below 1080 to 1080?
Or should I set up something like:
Code:
Resizes:
1080p -> 1080p
720p -> 720p
SD -> 720p

What do you do for video >1920 pixels? Create another profile to downsize? Using the 1080p -> 1080p profile can be taxing on my PC.

Also, MadVR always shows limited range (best guess), when I have Nvidia, LAV, MadVR & my TV all set to full range. Any ideas? (TV supports full range).

Thanks for the help.

If your TV is 1080p, then all display modes should be 1080p: 1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p59 and 1080p60.

If your TV is 720p, then all display modes should be 720p: 720p23, 720p24, 720p50, 720p59, 720p60.

For content larger than 1080p, create a new profile that downscales to 1080p (use the profiles for a 2160p display):

if (deintFps <= 25) and (srcWidth > 1920) "2160p25"
else if (deintFps <= 25) and ((srcWidth <= 1920) and (srcHeight > 1080)) "2160p25"

else if (deintFps > 25) and (srcWidth > 1920) "2160p60"
else if (deintFps > 25) and ((srcWidth <= 1920) and (srcHeight > 1080)) "2160p60"

else if (deintFps <= 25) and ((srcWidth > 1280) and (srcWidth <= 1920)) "1080p25"
else if (deintFps <= 25) and ((srcWidth <= 1280) and (srcHeight > 720) and (srcHeight <= 1080)) "1080p25"

else if (deintFps > 25) and ((srcWidth > 1280) and (srcWidth <= 1920)) "1080p60"
else if (deintFps > 25) and ((srcWidth <= 1280) and (srcHeight > 720) and (srcHeight <= 1080)) "1080p60"

else if (deintFps <= 25) and ((srcWidth > 960) and (srcWidth <= 1280)) "720p25"
else if (deintFps <= 25) and ((srcWidth <= 960) and (srcHeight > 540) and (srcHeight <= 720)) "720p25"

else if (deintFps > 25) and ((srcWidth > 960) and (srcWidth <= 1280)) "720p60"
else if (deintFps > 25) and ((srcWidth <= 960) and (srcHeight > 540) and (srcHeight <= 720)) "720p60"

else if (deintFps <= 25) and ((srcWidth <= 960) and (srcHeight <= 540)) "540p25"

else if (deintFps > 25) and ((srcWidth <= 960) and (srcHeight <= 540)) "540p60"

Ignore the limited range (best guess) message. This refers to the source not the output chain (which is full range). You'll notice a difference if this chain is not working. The video's colors will look all wrong.
this thread was very helpful...
Wow, I've felt the need to stop reading and take a pause at rendering, to thank Warner306. This is by far the most comprehensive madvr bible I've came across. All the documentation linked, dude, you're amazing! This could've been a waitbutwhy longform, along with the blue circles and boxes anyone who decided to go down the rabbit hole would be expected to read at this point.

By reading this, beside the invaluable knowledge bla bla bla, i was able to:

1- Eliminate pretty much all banding since my display accepts 10bit (although from a side quest (aka link) you've posted, there's no way to be sure that it's outputting at said 10 bit). In my case, this was done by a combination of the madvr rgb enforcer thingy in the madvr install file and Intel HD4600 IGPU control panel tuning (figured that one on my own like a big boy!) , along with another side quest to test with the gradient-16bit.png file opened with mpc-hc (and coincidentally, madvr). Even at 8bit, windowed mode (not exclusive) fixed banding. http://i.imgur.com/JhjFoam.jpg not sure this could be brought in court as evidence, but it looks pretty damn sexy to me!

2- See point 1. I thought I was on a streak, but this, so far, was the best improvement. Ninja links for the win!

Note: I've been toying with madvr, mpc-hc, reclock, lav filters for the last couple of days. Sank way more time than i care to admit (ok, maybe 8 hours).

I do have questions however, even though they might not be directly related to this thread. I'm sure I'm not the only one to whom it happened in here.

1- I wasn't able to set reclock audio output as wasapi exclusive. It works, but I hear pops and cracks, which is pretty annoying. Directsound works well though. My audio setup is a Fiio E17 plugged in usb (waiting for my optical cable to be shipped). On USB, it can output 24bit/96KHz, which is what reclock's set to. No amount of fiddling would remove the pops and crack when using wasapi. Wasapi is set on foobar, and it works well. What gives?

2- Pretty much around the time I've switched to 10bit, madvr and reclock seem to be a bit buggy. ctrl+j showing stats, but the stats box flashing... Reclock having a harder time turning to green (tho to be honest, a/v still looked like it was in sync). It often flashes from green to red repeatedly. Sometimes it's ok... I've tested multiple sources and I'm having a hard time replicating these errors. I've read that the 10bit pursuit can be a pain on its own, and might not be worth it... But I did also read that madvr is a placebo by some users, which I know is not true.

Any help would be appreciated, and results reported here for future reference. But in any case, thanks for this great thread! I hope more people come across it.

Max_x2

Edit: Anyone wondering what the Intel control panel settings could/should be, feel free to ask in this thread. It will be my pleasure to try and help you! In the case of the Intel HD4600, I could even guide you on how to overclock that puppy to 1700MHz. Did not test before / after benchmarks, but it was stress tested with XTU and is stable. YMMV depending on your cooling, and where you stand in the silicon lottery. Performance should be up tho, since dxva2 copy-back (or quicksync if it's your thing (QS saves watts, but dxva2 copy-back was tested and is a better performer (Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7007/intel...spective/5 )) uses hardware acceleration.

Hardware: i5 4670k cooled by Thermaltake Frio tower air cooler on Asus z-87-A mobo, 8GB of hyper-x genysis 1600MHz (XMP), Radeon 6950 with unlocked shaders (strictly for gaming couple times a year, I hate hearing a leafblower while watching movies), Fiio E17 DAC, Sandisk SSD, WD Black HDD, Thermaltake tr-2 600W PSU
(2017-05-09, 20:33)Max_x2 Wrote: I do have questions however, even though they might not be directly related to this thread. I'm sure I'm not the only one to whom it happened in here.

1- I wasn't able to set reclock audio output as wasapi exclusive. It works, but I hear pops and cracks, which is pretty annoying. Directsound works well though. My audio setup is a Fiio E17 plugged in usb (waiting for my optical cable to be shipped). On USB, it can output 24bit/96KHz, which is what reclock's set to. No amount of fiddling would remove the pops and crack when using wasapi. Wasapi is set on foobar, and it works well. What gives?

2- Pretty much around the time I've switched to 10bit, madvr and reclock seem to be a bit buggy. ctrl+j showing stats, but the stats box flashing... Reclock having a harder time turning to green (tho to be honest, a/v still looked like it was in sync). It often flashes from green to red repeatedly. Sometimes it's ok... I've tested multiple sources and I'm having a hard time replicating these errors. I've read that the 10bit pursuit can be a pain on its own, and might not be worth it... But I did also read that madvr is a placebo by some users, which I know is not true.

Any help would be appreciated, and results reported here for future reference. But in any case, thanks for this great thread! I hope more people come across it.

Well I'm glad someone got some use from this information. It took some time to compile.

As for your questions...

1 - Try swapping an optical cable for the USB. Or, if you don't mind bitstreaming, try using Sanear as the audio renderer.

If you are using MPC-HC, Sanear is pre-installed as the Internal Audio Renderer.

If you are using another player...Install Sanear then access its control panel during playback via its tray icon.

Of course, you will lose the refresh rate matching wizardry of ReClock PCM, but playback may be more stable via WASAPI. Again, there is no slowdown or speedup of the audio, just pure WASAPI bitstreaming. The Internal Audio Renderer is far more simple than ReClock.

2 - To most users, madVR's dithering is so good that most people will not be able to tell the difference between native 10-bit and 8-bit dithered. But this is up to your discretion. If you want to know you are getting the highest bit depth possible, stick with 10-bit. I have no idea why this would impact ReClock, though. That remains a mystery.

I hope that was of some help.
(2017-05-10, 01:05)Warner306 Wrote:
(2017-05-09, 20:33)Max_x2 Wrote: I do have questions however, even though they might not be directly related to this thread. I'm sure I'm not the only one to whom it happened in here.

Well I'm glad someone got some use from this information. It took some time to compile.

As for your questions...

1 - Try swapping an optical cable for the USB. Or, if you don't mind bitstreaming, try using Sanear as the audio renderer.

If you are using MPC-HC, Sanear is pre-installed as the Internal Audio Renderer.

If you are using another player...Install Sanear then access its control panel during playback via its tray icon.

Of course, you will lose the refresh rate matching wizardry of ReClock PCM, but playback may be more stable via WASAPI. Again, there is no slowdown or speedup of the audio, just pure WASAPI bitstreaming. The Internal Audio Renderer is far more simple than ReClock.

2 - To most users, madVR's dithering is so good that most people will not be able to tell the difference between native 10-bit and 8-bit dithered. But this is up to your discretion. If you want to know you are getting the highest bit depth possible, stick with 10-bit. I have no idea why this would impact ReClock, though. That remains a mystery.

I hope that was of some help.

issue #2 was a coincidence I believe. Wasn't able to replicate it, and some issues are still there in 8bit.

One of the "bug" I was having, was for 50fps. It's like frames go back in time. Example: F1 car exits turn 1, then all of a sudden i get a frame from the beginning of turn one that slips in the image. Pretty weird stuff. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes not. I'm usually able to fix it by going in reclock while media is playing, and change media info/media adaptation.

This, and the wasapi thing (which I won't be able to test until i receive the optical cable) are pretty much my only PITA at this point. I could live with directsound even though not ideal, but I watch pretty much every F1 Grand Prix. Perhaps someone else has the same issue? BTW, my display does support 1080p50, although not officially. But it works. I could take a video with my phone to show you what I mean.

Thanks,
Max

Edit: Now it does it even with 24p xD Help?
(2017-05-12, 09:32)Max_x2 Wrote: issue #2 was a coincidence I believe. Wasn't able to replicate it, and some issues are still there in 8bit.

One of the "bug" I was having, was for 50fps. It's like frames go back in time. Example: F1 car exits turn 1, then all of a sudden i get a frame from the beginning of turn one that slips in the image. Pretty weird stuff. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes not. I'm usually able to fix it by going in reclock while media is playing, and change media info/media adaptation.

This, and the wasapi thing (which I won't be able to test until i receive the optical cable) are pretty much my only PITA at this point. I could live with directsound even though not ideal, but I watch pretty much every F1 Grand Prix. Perhaps someone else has the same issue? BTW, my display does support 1080p50, although not officially. But it works. I could take a video with my phone to show you what I mean.

Thanks,
Max

Ditch ReClock?
(2017-05-12, 19:29)Warner306 Wrote:
(2017-05-12, 09:32)Max_x2 Wrote: issue #2 was a coincidence I believe. Wasn't able to replicate it, and some issues are still there in 8bit.

Thanks,
Max

Ditch ReClock?

It doesn't solve the problem. Anyway I was thinking of doing a clean install before going down the rabbit hole, so I'll live with EVR for couple days. The thing is, I've read a lot of tutorials before running into yours. So perhaps, starting afresh with your tutorials is the best course of action here.

Thanks,
Max
Hi again,

Even after a fresh install, I am still having the same issue as before. This time I've uploaded a video of the issue to youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRvmy2bM8i8

This is in DSPlayer. Some movies/video will do it, some wont. This is a 23.976 movie, but it does the same with a 50fps video file I have. I've just tested with MPC-HC with the 50fps video file... It's ok in full screen, but the problem appears in window mode. Meanwhile, the same 23.976 movie I've uploaded to youtube does the exact opposite (ok in window mode, haywire in full screen).

hardware/software:
windows 10 pro creator's update 64bit
mpc-hc / dsplayer,lav, reclock all in 32bit
Intel i5 4670k
intel HD 4600
Toshiba HDTV 46G310U

Thanks,
Max

Edit: Ok, manually switching to 23p in intel hd graphics control panel does the trick for the 23.976 movie. Weird. Switching it to 50p for the 50p file doesn't solve the window glitch however. I did input 1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p59, 1080p60 in diplay settings in madvr.
Thanks for post
(2017-05-16, 22:48)Max_x2 Wrote: Hi again,

Even after a fresh install, I am still having the same issue as before. This time I've uploaded a video of the issue to youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRvmy2bM8i8

This is in DSPlayer. Some movies/video will do it, some wont. This is a 23.976 movie, but it does the same with a 50fps video file I have. I've just tested with MPC-HC with the 50fps video file... It's ok in full screen, but the problem appears in window mode. Meanwhile, the same 23.976 movie I've uploaded to youtube does the exact opposite (ok in window mode, haywire in full screen).

hardware/software:
Intel i5 4670k
intel HD 4600
Toshiba HDTV 46G310U

Thanks,
Max

Edit: Ok, manually switching to 23p in intel hd graphics control panel does the trick for the 23.976 movie. Weird. Switching it to 50p for the 50p file doesn't solve the window glitch however. I did input 1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p59, 1080p60 in diplay settings in madvr.

I posted your video in Doom9:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p...ost1807184
(2017-05-17, 19:47)Warner306 Wrote:
(2017-05-16, 22:48)Max_x2 Wrote: Hi again,

hardware/software:
Intel i5 4670k
intel HD 4600
Toshiba HDTV 46G310U

Thanks,
Max

I posted your video in Doom9:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p...ost1807184

Thanks man, I'll keep an eye out =)
Hoping someone can help here.

I've got HDR to SDR mapping working great in MPC-HC via MadVR.

However, using Kodi DSPlayer it doesn't seem to respect the options I've selected and the picture appears dull. I've tried disabling Kodi managing the settings of MadVR but that doesn't help. Anyone else experiencing this? Fine in MPC-HC but not working in Kodi.

Edit: Seems to be a bug with using addons. I was using the Plex addon and the MadVR settings wouldn't apply. But with standard SMB the settings apply fine and everything works! How can I report a bug?
(2017-05-22, 10:57)RXP91 Wrote: Hoping someone can help here.

I've got HDR to SDR mapping working great in MPC-HC via MadVR.

However, using Kodi DSPlayer it doesn't seem to respect the options I've selected and the picture appears dull. I've tried disabling Kodi managing the settings of MadVR but that doesn't help. Anyone else experiencing this? Fine in MPC-HC but not working in Kodi.

Edit: Seems to be a bug with using addons. I was using the Plex addon and the MadVR settings wouldn't apply. But with standard SMB the settings apply fine and everything works! How can I report a bug?

Post in the DSPlayer forum. Though it's unlikely aracnoz will see it let alone do anything about it. But it's worth a try.
Error Diffusion – option 1: Choose this if you use Windows 7 or later, have a DirectX 11 discrete GPU with decent horsepower, and preferably use a monitor with 8-bit display bitdepth or higher.
Error Diffusion – option 2: Choose this if you use Windows 7 or later, have a DirectX 11 discrete GPU with decent horsepower, and use a monitor with 6-bit display bitdepth.
https://imouto.my/tutorials/madvr/

Why do you recommend Error Diffusion 2 ?
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players5