• 7(current)
First box: what to look for, what to avoid?
(2016-02-13, 23:27)Latinbull Wrote: Hummm s905 dont replace s812, it replaces s805! About hdmi quite useless wirhout hdcp.

Anyway the strange point is that at at 1 month ago there was also crapy chineses boxes (that only are useful to pre load apps and few more) and Nvidia, however your opinion was:

"
@wrxtasy, I signed up just to thank you for a very informative write up. I think WeTek core is what I will go for..I'm just waiting for their next discount promotion as it's a bit outside of my budget.

edit: I'll ask the rest of my question in the WeteK forum
Thanks!

(This post was last modified: 2015-12-28 20:51 by XperImenT"

What's your point? I was looking for a second kodi box for my bedroom and back then WeTeK core was just introduced and i didn't know much about it so initially I mentioned and i emphasize I THINK WeteK is what I'll go for. However, upon further research, I came to the conclusion that it's overpriced for what it offers. Pretty straight forward really. Your obsession with your lil conspiracy theories is getting a bit bizarre.
My opinions are bizarre? Yours are market evidences?

But sure, at end netflix hulu sling nba nfl is irrelevant, superior rcu, good acessories, after sales services, software support, fast shipping... all this is non sense what we should do is take some oem fully loaded box which you sell over your amazon account as cheaper solution.

From my side i can only say thanks to Wetek guys for being kodi sponsors and for sharing code for any improvement they made for AMLogic platform. That is right way to go and I will always respect and support them not like the chinese boxes you link that only suck from other people work!
Show me a device that

- Is not a Wetek Core.
- Costs between 100-110 USD
- Can playback 4K h265 8bit, h264 . Can playback anything except h265 10bit.
- Can do Netflix 1080p at least, so Google Widevine Level 1 is a must
- Has 24p auto-refresh rate switching. System wide automatic frame rate that is.
- Has proper stable firmware. Runs Android 5.0 at a minimum. OpenElec could be a bonus , not a requirement.
- Has a proper website, and proper support forum. If i see English grammar mistakes on their main site, the option becomes null.
- Has a better SoC than the S812 - H in the Core . For reference , the 812 scores around 34-35k in Antutu.
- IR + RF remote control with air mouse mode and voice search support. The voice part is a requirement , the air mouse part, not so much.
- HD audio would be a bonus, not a requirement.

I'm waiting .....
(2016-02-13, 23:49)Latinbull Wrote: My opinions are bizarre?
But sure, at end netflix hulu sling nba nfl is irrelevant, superior rcu, good acessories, after sales services, software support, fast shipping... all this is non sense what we should do is take some oem fully loaded box which you sell over your amazon account as cheaper solution.

^^^^^

This is exactly why your conspiracy theories are bizarre that you continuously try to accuse me that I must be selling cheap android boxes on amazon just because i think WeteK core is overpriced = bizarre

What's ironic is that I have been advocating just the opposite. I have consistently and repeatedly said that *in my opinion* one should go with reputable brands such as Nexus and nVidia and Amazon instead of no-name brands so not only it's rather immature to accuse me of such a thing, it's just plain illogical given than I keep pushing for reputable brand names = very bizarre.

Crazier thing is that YOU were the one that said you can't find any s812 with 2gb around $40 and I helped you out by giving you a link of such a product and suddenly you said I must be the one selling that box and I'm just a generic android box seller just because I pasted a link in response to you not being able to find it on your own....= super bizarre
Being the OP, I definitely appreciate how robust this discussion as been, particularly so because there are some things that I do consider as preferable now (i.e. 802.11a/c since I bought a router that supports it). If only all the replies stayed on target...for my part, it gets frustrating as a new user to have to read through a lot of back-biting posts while trying to get to the really useful info. Having lived around the world at times and traveled to some of the locations mentioned here, there are brilliant people in Slovenia and China and everywhere (didn't XBMC start in Poland?)..so more power to them.

Still, like so many things, it comes down to the money. Wrxtasy is right that the odds are we're going to end up buying the newer/better tech in a year or two, and support (and avoiding vaporous 3rd party sellers) is always worth it. Plus, if my tv or whatever I have now can't even do some of the high standards...maybe a $200 box would be overkill today.

One thing I'm realizing though is that there are some strong differences of opinion about what makes a worthwhile KODI box. I'm sure that buying something ready-made is preferable if only because of the support and warranty if things don't work. But I'm also sure that most hardware is made from (basically) the same parts that come from a batch of manufacturers. So if the parts are the same, then who bolted it together and how reliable they are becomes the question. I have a feeling that if wrxtasy or Ned Scott or some others here built a box and told me it would work fine--I could probably buy it with confidence. So it occurs to me that some of the lower priced boxes, with good parts, could be worth while, at least for a first box to get some experience with before laying out top dollar.

So, in the interest of us new people: How about wrxtasy, Ned Scott, and anyone else who has real knowledge and experience, putting together a selection of 'best in class' boxes in different price ranges, with links. Maybe the best boxes, with KODI already installed, for under $70 ..then under $110, under $200 and so on.

I realize the reputation and support of some of these sellers is always tenuous, but I'd bet if they were on that list they would make an effort to up their game so as to stay on the list.
Thanks..
JT
Ok got now!

So Wetek even after fulfill all requirements cannot "go" on market because is no reputation, so instead to keep doing things like big players should be focus in sell pre-loaded KODI with some funny addons.

(2016-02-14, 00:04)XperImenT Wrote:
(2016-02-13, 23:49)Latinbull Wrote: My opinions are bizarre?

^^^^^

This is exactly why your conspiracy theories are bizarre that you continuously try to accuse me that I must be selling cheap android boxes on amazon just because i think WeteK core is overpriced = bizarre

What's ironic is that I have been advocating just the opposite. I have consistently and repeatedly said that *in my opinion* one should go with reputable brands such as Nexus and nVidia and Amazon instead of no-name brands so not only it's rather immature to accuse me of such a thing, it's just plain illogical given than I keep pushing for reputable brand names = very bizarre.

Crazier thing is that YOU were the one that said you can't find any s812 with 2gb around $40 and I helped you out by giving you a link of such a product and suddenly you said I must be the one selling that box and I'm just a generic android box seller just because I pasted a link in response to you not being able to find it on your own....= super bizarre
(2016-02-13, 23:54)Soulbind Wrote: Show me a device that

- Is not a Wetek Core.
- Has 24p auto-refresh rate switching. System wide automatic frame rate that is.
- Has proper stable firmware. Runs Android 5.0 at a minimum. OpenElec could be a bonus , not a requirement.
- Has a proper website, and proper support forum. If i see English grammar mistakes on their main site, the option becomes null.
- Has a better SoC than the S812 - H in the Core . For reference , the 812 scores around 34-35k in Antutu.
- IR + RF remote control with air mouse mode and voice search support. The voice part is a requirement , the air mouse part, not so much.

I'm waiting .....

And that's exactly my point that *in my opinion*, with the exception of nVidia, no manufacturer's android box that costs more than >$100 is worth buying (including WeTeK) because they all lack in critical areas...some lack in firmware support (all the generic boxes) and others lack in sustainable hardware (WeTeK's s812).

This is precisely why I am trying to say that if one is going to spend $110-130 on WeteK, it is much much smarter to invest in the Shield because. The Core that you buy now will be obsolete in features in 6-9 months because it's already lacking serious features (ie., no hdmi 2.0, no USB 3, no h265 10bit, mediocare at best CPU) so it doesn't have the hardware infrastructure for future upgrades and features. As such, you're going to spend another >$100 after just 6 months or so to get another version of WeteK that now has an overdue basic spec such as USB 3.0. For this reason i say WeTeK is overpriced for what it's packing.

Now take the Shield, You spend more but you get a beast of a box that not only provides exceptional experience right now, it has the infrastructure to continue to do so for a good couple of years (3GB of RAM, 16gb memory vs 8, USB 3.0, HDMI 2.0, Full 4k support, scoring 75,000 on antutu) so the Shield will provide a much better bang for the buck and provide a much better sustainability.
(2016-02-14, 00:42)Latinbull Wrote: Ok got now!

So Wetek even after fulfill all requirements cannot "go" on market because is no reputation, so instead to keep doing things like big players should be focus in sell pre-loaded KODI with some funny addons.

You continue to make no sense.

First, i never said WeTeK can't go on market, i said they're overpriced for their hardware but they can do whatever the heck they want.

Second, Which one of the "big players" (nVidia, Nexus player or Amazon) preload their boxes with "funny" Kodi addons? The answer is None of them.
Read again... i said instead...

(2016-02-14, 01:00)XperImenT Wrote:
(2016-02-14, 00:42)Latinbull Wrote: Ok got now!

You continue to make no sense.

First, i never said WeTeK can't go on market, i said they're overpriced for their hardware but they can do whatever the heck they want.

Second, Which one of the "big players" (nVidia, Nexus player or Amazon) preload their boxes with "funny" Kodi addons? The answer is None of them.
(2016-02-14, 01:05)Latinbull Wrote: Read again... i said instead...

Still not quite clear..are you trying to say WeTeK is in the same league as nVidia? because it's not. Not even close.
(2016-02-14, 00:54)XperImenT Wrote:
(2016-02-13, 23:54)Soulbind Wrote: Show me a device that

- Is not a Wetek Core.

I'm waiting .....

And that's exactly my point that *in my opinion*, with the exception of nVidia, no manufacturer's android box that costs more than >$100 is worth buying (including WeTeK) because they all lack in critical areas...some lack in firmware support (all the generic boxes) and others lack in sustainable hardware (WeTeK's s812).

This is precisely why I am trying to say that if one is going to spend $110-130 on WeteK, it is much much smarter to invest in the Shield because. The Core that you buy now will be obsolete in features in 6-9 months because it's already lacking serious features (ie., no hdmi 2.0, no USB 3, no h265 10bit, mediocare at best CPU) so it doesn't have the hardware infrastructure for future upgrades and features. As such, you're going to spend another >$100 after just 6 months or so to get another version of WeteK that now has an overdue basic spec such as USB 3.0. For this reason i say WeTeK is overpriced for what it's packing.

Now take the Shield, You spend more but you get a beast of a box that not only provides exceptional experience right now, it has the infrastructure to continue to do so for a good couple of years (3GB of RAM, 16gb memory vs 8, USB 3.0, HDMI 2.0, Full 4k support, scoring 75,000 on antutu) so the Shield will provide a much better bang for the buck and provide a much better sustainability.

And if i don't have the extra 100 USD for the Shield, but have the above listed requirements, what am i going to do, watch my living rooms walls instead of getting a media player and watching movies? A lot of people have requirements close to those around here, but their budget is around 100-120 USD, they can't stretch it to more than that for various reasons.
Nobody is denying that the Shield isn't the best ARM set-top-box at the moment, including everything-but-the-kitchen-sink, but some people can't afford it, thus they look for the next-best-thing that fits their requirements at a lower price, with some trade-offs, like HDMI 1.4b instead of 2.0 or a weaker SoC.

PS: USB 3.0 is useless for media playback, even 4K @ 120Mbps can de done via USB 2.0 just fine, since 2.0 has a bandwidth of 480Mbps .
(2016-02-14, 01:09)Soulbind Wrote: And if i don't have the extra 100 USD for the Shield, but have the above listed requirements, what am i going to do, watch my living rooms walls instead of getting a media player and watching movies? A lot of people have requirements close to those around here, but their budget is around 100-120 USD, they can't stretch it to more than that for various reasons.
Nobody is denying that the Shield isn't the best ARM set-top-box at the moment, including everything-but-the-kitchen-sink, but some people can't afford it, thus they look for the next-best-thing that fits their requirements.

PS: USB 3.0 is useless for media playback, even 4K @ 120Mbps can de done via USB 2.0 just fine, since 2.0 has a bandwidth of 480Mbps .

First, its not $100 extra...one could have grabbed the Shield for $150 at black Friday in the US but more importantly, the amount of money you have or don't have is not relevant as to whether a product is overpriced for what it offers or not.

Let me give you a very simple example...You really want to buy an Orange...and you only have $1 dollar....One seller is selling his great quality orange for $2 and another seller is selling his spoiling orange that should be 50 cents at $1 dollar.... you can't afford the good orange so you decide to get ripped off on the crappy orange. Sure you still got an orange for your $1 but you sure as hell over-payed for it.
49 posts and every one - at a quick glance - appears to be about we-tek. Either about how you're going to buy one or how they're rotten fruit.
Are you doing this for a bet?
(2016-02-14, 01:27)trogggy Wrote: 49 posts and every one - at a quick glance - appears to be about we-tek. Either about how you're going to buy one or how they're rotten fruit.
Are you doing this for a bet?

sure...
(2016-02-14, 00:07)jttraverse Wrote: How about wrxtasy, Ned Scott, and anyone else who has real knowledge and experience, putting together a selection of 'best in class' boxes in different price ranges, with links. Maybe the best boxes, with KODI already installed, for under $70 ..then under $110, under $200 and so on.
I already have its called a sticky thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

As Ned Scott has said not all part that go into devices are equal. Samsung for example make a LOT of 4K/1080p display panels. The A1, top quality panels they keep for themselves and sell to Sony and a few others. The A2's are sold at lower prices to other sellers. Same happens with Samsung stuff manufactured for Apple.

I'm told WeTek actually had to reject the first two AML batches of (Revisions A and B) S905 SoC's as during internal testing they did not come up to spec for the intended application needed on their devices. Evidence of this is over HERE

Guess what these cheap Asian $40 - S905 sellers are using ?

• 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First box: what to look for, what to avoid?0