Can't Do Series Recording - What Am I Doing Wrong?
Sad 
Edit: Never mind, it's "add timer" not record.
For some reason I just assumed record, the whole "timer" thing is odd to me, not what I would have expected by default.
(2016-02-09, 21:05)bungee91 Wrote: Edit: Never mind, it's "add timer" not record.
For some reason I just assumed record, the whole "timer" thing is odd to me, not what I would have expected by default.

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately it is not helpful at all. If you do not like something you should write some more words about it than just "the whole timer thing is odd to me".
(2016-02-10, 10:00)ksooo Wrote: Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately it is not helpful at all. If you do not like something you should write some more words about it than just "the whole timer thing is odd to me".

I agree, and you're correct, sorry for the lack of detail to that post.

Here's my thoughts on it (since you asked, time for me to ramble...).. Big Grin
In Isengard to record something from the context menu I believe you select "add timer".
In Jarvis to record a single episode from the context menu, you select "record", and if you want a series recording you select "add timer" and choose your options.

This confused me as I'm naturally drawn to the "record" button, so I pressed that expecting options which I didn't get (completely missing the other "add timer" selection).
While adding all of these options, and possibilities is great, it (IMHO) over complicates the whole process, and not only for WAF, but also for my geeky non programmer self.

There are two actions that I want to regularly perform, a single recording, or a series recording.
In WMC that was done by a single press of record (single), or a double press (series). This was not perfect, but it worked pretty well for simplicity.

Most of the options in the add timer dialog (while still useful certainly) are mostly unneeded, and can be manipulated elsewhere for the 1% time that I may want to "tweak" the recording start/end, or repeat based weekly, daily, duplicates, etc..

I think that the only option should be "record" and that should prompt the "single, or series" option. I believe this would cover 95% use cases for recordings for the average user.

Things like start early/late while useful are many of times set in the backend as a global setting.
If not done there, or something special needs to be done for a recording, being able to manipulate that specific timer under the timers menu should be sufficient.

I hope that doesn't completely come off as bashing, I'm just explaining as asked. It was just not intuitive to me naturally, and is why I had the confusion.
Thanks for all your efforts, and support!
Thanks. That was helpful and I consider it in no way as bashing.

The series recording feature is new for Jarvis and there are definitely not all bells and whistles are implemented yet. ;-)

I'm doing all this in my spare time and have no fixed plans or time slots for Kodi programming. So, please stay tuned and keep calm and continue to give constructive feedback.
Appreciate the efforts and hard work on implementing this!
Not knowing all of the intricacies here - It seems to me that the most important part was getting this into Kodi as an action, the calling of that or the way presented (while still absolutely important) can be tweaked later on.
I'd assume that other skins present this differently, or at least could if that was the authors preference.

I'm certain some people prefer it one way to another, and that is a hard thing to accomplish (making everyone happy).
I think of this the same as the action to take when selecting a channel in the EPG, and the likely reason we have the ability to change it to our liking.
I prefer the switch to channel option while others may like the show context menu option.
I envision this may take that route eventually as development continues, giving flexibility.

I think the click/double click routine in WMC is pretty good however, but agree many may not know that it works that way.
I suppose the click, (and the new) click and hold could certainly perform this also! =)
(2016-02-10, 21:11)bungee91 Wrote: I think the click/double click routine in WMC is pretty good however, but agree many may not know that it works that way.
I suppose the click, (and the new) click and hold could certainly perform this also! =)

That is how it works in the MythTV frontend EPG. Pressing record on a program cycles through the different recording possibilities (single, series....). And finally you get back to don't record, if you accidentally pressed on the wrong program.
(2016-02-10, 23:04)raptorjr Wrote:
(2016-02-10, 21:11)bungee91 Wrote: I think the click/double click routine in WMC is pretty good however, but agree many may not know that it works that way.

That is how it works in the MythTV frontend EPG. Pressing record on a program cycles through the different recording possibilities (single, series....). And finally you get back to don't record, if you accidentally pressed on the wrong program.

That's awesome to know, thanks!
I actually use a Myth backend now, so I may need to try that (with Jarvis, still primarily on Isengard). I really like some of the Tvheadend options, so I've been toying with switching over. The channel change speed in comparison is much better (using HDHR's).
Switching the backend will not change Kodi behaviour. You would need to switch the front-end from Kodi to MythTV...
(2016-02-11, 14:03)ksooo Wrote: Switching the backend will not change Kodi behaviour. You would need to switch the front-end from Kodi to MythTV...

Ok, that makes a LOT more sense (I wondered how the front-end could act so differently because of the change), which is not happening in my case (we're a Kodi household).
Look forward to any changes, thanks for the input.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't Do Series Recording - What Am I Doing Wrong?0