Chromebox no recognizing recovery usb drive
I am following the directions on the Wiki to set up the Chromebox in a dual boot format. I created my recovery drive, no problem. Now, when I boot to the recovery screen and plug in when prompted, nothing happens. A quick google search got some results of this happening, but not solutions. A search here didn't net results.

Any ideas? Thanks!
(2016-02-11, 04:54)Dobbler73 Wrote: I am following the directions on the Wiki to set up the Chromebox in a dual boot format. I created my recovery drive, no problem. Now, when I boot to the recovery screen and plug in when prompted, nothing happens. A quick google search got some results of this happening, but not solutions. A search here didn't net results.

Any ideas? Thanks!

use a different USB drive or SD card. Dunno why, but it can be picky about the recovery media.
Thanks. With a more specific google search based on your advice, someone said the Lexar or Kingston brand works.
I don't think it's a brand issue - I have USB/SD media here from Patriot, Silicon Image, Sandisk, and a few unknowns that all work fine, and an older SanDisk one that doesn't
Well, I got a Lexar and it worked flawlessly and I got my Chromebox all set up in a dual-boot with OpenElec. Installed the Tidal add-on and got an iPhone remote working. However, for whatever reason and all of a sudden, it won't consistently connect to the wireless so I have yet to use it. I'll work on troubleshooting that tonight.
i am not having any success installing dual boot (OpenELEC 6.0 with Chrome OS). It installs everything fine, but won't boot from the hard drive (OpenELEC 6.0). It get stuck at Booting from Hard Disk...
I followed the instructions on WIKI to reset the unit and reinstalled everything and still same thing. In the past I was able to install dual boot with an older version of OpenELEC (5.8 I believe). But no luck with version 6.0. Has anyone had any trouble installing dual boot with OpenELEC 6.0 and Chrome OS? Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
(2016-02-20, 18:15)dmp2325 Wrote: i am not having any success installing dual boot (OpenELEC 6.0 with Chrome OS). It installs everything fine, but won't boot from the hard drive (OpenELEC 6.0). It get stuck at Booting from Hard Disk...
I followed the instructions on WIKI to reset the unit and reinstalled everything and still same thing. In the past I was able to install dual boot with an older version of OpenELEC (5.8 I believe). But no luck with version 6.0. Has anyone had any trouble installing dual boot with OpenELEC 6.0 and Chrome OS? Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You ran the dual boot setup function of the script twice after doing a factory reset? I'll double check the script today, but pretty sure there aren't any issues with it.
Matt, Yes, I ran the script twice as instructed. Thanks.
(2016-02-20, 19:02)dmp2325 Wrote: Matt, Yes, I ran the script twice as instructed. Thanks.

and selected 6.0.198 stable or 6.94.1 beta? what size partition did you give OE?
Selected 6.0.198 and selected 9gb for the OpenELEC.
(2016-02-20, 19:32)dmp2325 Wrote: Selected 6.0.198 and selected 9gb for the OpenELEC.

just ran thru it here and no issues. Was the OpenELEC download particularly slow (ie, > 15 mins to download)? Perhaps there was an issue with the downloaded file that the script didn't catch for some reason
I was able to install dual boot, but can't set the boot options. It says "Write-protection enabled, not-stock firmware installed, or not running Chrome Os; can not set boot options. Press Enter to return to the Main menu." Please help. Thank you.
(2016-02-20, 22:54)dmp2325 Wrote: I was able to install dual boot, but can't set the boot options. It says "Write-protection enabled, not-stock firmware installed, or not running Chrome Os; can not set boot options. Press Enter to return to the Main menu." Please help. Thank you.

The error seems pretty self-explanatory -- I'm guessing you didn't remove the write-protect screw as per the wiki instructions.
Initially that's exactly what I thought but I knew for the fact that I did remove the screw. Anyway I opened up the box again to confirm. Yes, the screw is definitely removed. So I loosen the other four screws holding the motherboard and lifted the board slightly and re-tighten the four screws. Put it together (still have to install the back cover) and started up and I was able to choose the default boot. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
cool, glad you go it sorted Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chromebox no recognizing recovery usb drive0