ServerWMC and networked drives
Hey guys,

My understanding is that WMC, in general, has issues recording to networked drives. I actually tried mounting a network share from my router (eSata drive connection with the Netgear Nighthawk v7500) and was able to still access the share in WMC and browse recordings (and playback). I didn't think to try recording however (and maybe that's where the issue lies).

Anyway, in this setup, if I try to launch ServerWMC it ends up popping up an error complaining about how the local drive (which is effectively a SMB share) cannot be written or recorded to or something and ends up not launching. I've tried mapping the drive as well as creating a symlink - both methods seem to be recognized in WMC but ServerWMC will complain. With the symlink, I think I tried sharing the folder as well but no go.

Is this just a hard limitation with serverWMC? I'd really like to use the eSata ability of the router.
You are correct, WMC will not record to a networked drive. It can be done with iSCSI, but that's the only workaround I've heard of.
Right, its a limitation of wmc's recording service: it will only write to a local drive, unless you do the trick @jdlive referred to. Since serverwmc needs to use this recording service too, it ends up being a limitation of serverwmc also. Most users deal with this by moving the recordings off the local recorded tv folder and onto a network 'watched' folder. One downside of this is the wmc service will not manage the storage of a watched folder, so you'll have to delete recordings yourself if it gets too full.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ServerWMC and networked drives0