Resolution fault on Large TV
I cannot get KODI 15.2 to display the correct aspect ratio/resolution on my 50" TV screen any more. I have set the display in settings to Screen 2 which is my TV but it is way too big and I lose the ability to change it back as the settings disappear off screen and outside of reinstalling can't see how to get it back.The last menu heading I can access is PROGRAMS; there is no SETTINGS any more. I had no problem with this on KODI 15.1 at 1920 x 1080 which is what it should be. I'm running Windows 10 (against my better judgement - want to go back to 8.1)) and KODI works fine on my PC monitor, but not at any resolution on the 1920 x 1080 (native) TV.
You need to supply a debug log so people can help without the need of guesswork.

I am assuming that your two screen are not of the same resolution? So what you are getting sounds like Win10 trying to set both screens to the same resolution.

Have you been into the Windows OS settings and made sure the settings are correct in there?

Next up - what is the video hardware - nVidia, AMD, Intel? Make sure you have the latest drivers.

Now a technical point you should be aware of. The video hardware will often act differently on Screen 1 and Screen 2. This is a driver issue as usually only Screen One gets Hardware Acceleration. Now this next idea may sound odd, but go into the OS and SWAP Screen 1 and Screen 2. Then restart the PC. It is quite possible that this should help a lot as now KODI will be running on "screen 1" from the OS point of view and now gets the benefit of Hardware Acceleration..
Thanks for the prompt reply. I am happy to supply a debug log; how do I do it and is there an attachment facility here or is it just cut & paste?
My 2 screens are the same resolution, 1920 x 1080. As I said, it all worked perfectly when I was using v15.1 without any adjustments except telling KODI to display on screen 2. I have checked the settings in Windows and cannot see any issues there; they haven't changed at all from what they were when they worked correctly. I have also been through all the Aspect Ratio settings on the TV and tried them all without success. When I first got the TV I had to make an adjustment here to make it display correctly but now none of the settings work. I use an NVidia 660 card and have the latest drivers installed. I keep my PC as up-to-date as I can with drivers. I hadn't tried swapping the screens around as I assumed it was working beforehand and should still be working. I will try that and come back to you. I wouldn't want to swap them round permanently though as it is the perfect setup for me currently. So far the only difference is the change in KODI versions.
Look up at the top of this page and you'll find a link to the WIKI. In here is a page on the Debug Log (including hosting of it) http://kodi.wiki/view/Debug_log/Easy

The fact both screens are on the same resolution should make this simple.

Leave the aspect ratio settings on the TV alone. The TV just needs to be set to "PC Mode" or whatever it is called on yours. There should be a setting that will just use the resolution selected.

I have a nVidia 610 in my Win 10PC which is running KODI, but I only use a single screen.

Sorry for these silly questions, but worth checking: Go in to the Settings \ Video. Look at bottom left and set it to Advanced.

Go in to the SYSTEM settings and check VIDEO OUTPUT.

I have Full Screen #1, 1920x1080p, Use Full Screen Window is ticked, Blank other displays is not ticked.

When I say "swap the screens" - I don't mean physically. I just meant using Win10's own tool that lets you set which is your "main" monitor. (In Win 10 Settings, look in System, then Display. May need to use the "Advanced Display Settings".

The main reason for the above idea is just to see if this is specific to KODI being run on the secondary screen. Just a test.
Also... are you on the true "full screen"? Try pressing the \ key and see what happens. This toggles between full screen and window mode.
That was quick!
My TV has a setting called "Just Scan" which is the one that worked previously but it isn't now. I have left it there so as not to make matters worse. I assumed you meant to swap screens in software ( I can't swap them physically as they are different connectors) and my screen 1 is my main monitor of course as it is my computer screen. I have swapped them over but it makes no difference. I'm going to have to reinstall KODI in order to get a usable screen back as I have no access to the buttons I need. I can get to the Uploader but can't add it in.

Just got your follow up. That's a handy trick with the \ key; I can now window it and see everything. I think I may have sent a log but I'm not sure. I have no idea where it has gone or if it was sent and how it links to this thread. I'm sending again with ID: pqdya2bbu if that helps.
When you say you can't see SETTINGS any more, I assume you can still select it blind? Just click the right cursor a few times across to it and then hit ENTER to select.
When you hit the "\" key to go to a smaller window, what size does the rest of the screen seem to be around that window? Does it look 1920x1080?

If you drag windows from Screen one to Screen two are they keeping the same scaling?

Also please remember that this is a users forum where users help users. There are plenty of Devs around, but I'm just a KODI user like you. If you read the FAQ better it will tell you that your debug log is here: http://xbmclogs.com/pqdya2bbu

One point I can see in that log is it confirms that KODI thinks it is running 1920x1080 so I doubt a reinstall is going to solve it. You need to work out what scaling you have messed with on that TV screen. What is it set to now?

Also, when you quit KODI, do you see the TV screen adjust resolution? Without KODI running are you sure you have a 1920x1080 image on that Tv screen?
The \ key windows Kodi at normal resolution so I can see everything I need. Windowed mode scales normally on screen 2. The reinstall plan was just so I could access Settings which was off the scale but the windowed mode cures that. Everything retains normal scaling between the 2 screens. I can drag anything between the 2 and scaling is perfect. The only messing I did with scaling on the TV was to try other scalings as the one I was using no longer worked. It is now back to where it was when it was working previously. I can only quit Kodi normally in windowed mode as when it is mis-scaled I have no access to the exit button. I had been exiting off-scale by exiting the program from the task tray. If I quit while windowed it goes back to windowed. If I quit while it is off-scale it remains off-scale. I am fairly certain when it is off-scale it is running at 1920 x 1080 (but not 100% sure) and I think the TV is having trouble displaying it properly. As I said earlier I did have to make an adjustment on the TV in the early days to get it to work but I've tried it again and it is not working. I am going to see if I can install an earlier version of Kodi and see what happens. I also run KM Player and Pot Player as media players and they work perfectly on both screens. The TV is set to scan the incoming resolution and display it correctly but it is no longer doing that.
Thanks to BatterPudding for all his/her advice. Is there a developer or someone who can have a go please as the problem remains.
sound like a possible remote button to make the AR proper
Hi. Can you elaborate please as I don't quite understand what you said? Thanks
I mean is there an aspect ratio button on your TV remote that makes the screen the correct size i just have a quick read of the post but ive seen this in the past altho maybe a bumb steer, dek
Ah. Yes, I've tried all that. That was the problem when I first tried it but it is not working now. At the moment it all points back to Kodi 15.2 so I still have to go back a version to see what happens.If all other media players work so should Kodi.
Thats not actually the case as other media players could be using different refresh rates and NONE of them are built alike and all use different ways to display video and GFX but i agree it could be kodi have you tried full sceen winodow and display fullscreeen in a windows in system settings under display, ill have a proper read ttomorrow as i must goto bed as work is a calling in 4.5 hours Sad

I promise ill come back try n help tomrorrow tho.

Cheers Dek

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Resolution fault on Large TV0