Gt640 or intel i5 46 hd4600 information overload
System pentium i5 nvidia gt640 running win 7 64, outputting to pioneer vsx-lx70 then onto pioneer kep 600-m.
I built this a few hrs ago when then pentium hd graphics where not up to much so I installed a gt640. I am trying to get perfect frame rate switching and hd master passthrough. Mostley playing full blurry rips using make mkv . I have never been able to get perfect playback using the gt640, get at least 10 skipped frames over the course of a 2nd film. My question is are the Intel graphics up to this task with the latest drivers or am I still going to get the best results using my nvidia card ? I have adjust display refresh rate checked and sync playback to display un-checked. I am willing to give up passthrough and go LOCK in necessary. Many thanks
You definitely have enough horsepower in the CPU and the GFX engine is solid too, the 10 skipped frames over a film isn't much, you'll need a few frames skipped out of the gate, just to get things going. I'm always getting one frame skipped out of the gate, then if I 'skip forward; that action adds another 4-6 frames skipped (turn on the OSD monitor with keyboard the keybaord 'o' command) a skip step adds at least 1 skip to the total.
The other frames wouldn't be viable when looking at 24-69 frames per second, I guess a few details in the code could be faster but are these skips viable to you?

Given the choice between a standalone gfx card or on chip gfx, I'd pick the gfx card every time, although drivers becomes something that can induce other issues. If you do have visual problems other than what is reporting as skips (not drops), I would look to the through-put of the data, specifically the fetch and any bottle necks, like drive or network performance. A lot of factors that might be attributed to frame skipping such as encodes and which ones, corrupt file types, errors in the file.codec, incomparable or iterations of the archive etc.
Hi Park, yeah a skipped frame on startup is fine. It's the extra whilst normal viewing whilst nothing major is a bit annoying cause it does produce a slight skip it in the image, once would be fine but when it happens a few times it gets to me Confused I've been looking on how to get the best perfect picture for my setup but there is soooo much information out there and a lot of it seems to be conflicting ...I've looked into using dip player but setting all that up seems a bit daunting. ... thinking of trying out the nvidia shield tv once it gets marshmallow update and kodi 17 gets its first proper monthly build.
I think the future options you point are are inferior to what you have now, if you're actually noticing the skips.... it's not skips. Most humans can't tell between 29 and 30 frames per second, so we're looking at something a bit deeper, perhaps the audio is slowing the video up for a sync stall (You have a AVR hooked in?) or some process going on in the background that becomes intensive. Turn on debugging (might consider a silent debug to monitor the issue for the next few weeks) and have a look at the log and see if there's something in the background that could be responsible. Check your audio settings... kill passthrough.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gt640 or intel i5 46 hd4600 information overload0