suggestion:
if the site outage was caused by the geocities effect where if your page got enough traffic in a given time it would be disabled.

if that's the case you may want to move to a provider that supports many gigs maybe even tb of traffic so the page does not go down.

if it was attacked you may want to consider cloudflare they can protect your page from attack.

it is good that you trademarked your name but that kind of goes against the open sourceness unless it is just the name and logo

http://forum.kodi.tv/images/xbmc/logo-sbs-black.png

what kinds of piracy are you concerned about?

do you have any problems running kodi on other hardware like the amazon stick and any problem with playing home made content or content ripped from dvd and played on our tvs?

or is it more the selling pre loaded jailbroken devices that source the content directly from pirate sites?

i ask because some of us rip our own dvds and want to stream them to devices and we should not be punished for our own content.
+1 for cloudflare
@ejonesss - as for your piracy question. We don't tell users what to do with Kodi, so everybody is free to use it however he wants to. If the user decides to use these illegal add-ons it's up to him to do so. What we however don't allow/like to see is that our trademarked name is being associated with providing illegal content, which we simply don't. Kodi is a media player that can be exteded via add-ons, and these add-ons provide the illegal content. Kodi itself is neutral in this regard and wants to stay like that. All these box sellers and many of the youtubers make it sound like Kodi would provide the content, and this is wrong and a misrepresentation of our name. This is what we don't tolerate any longer. What users do, doesn't matter to us, as long as they don't spread the same misleading bullshit these box sellers and youtubers do.

So if you anywhere read that Kodi will fight against users that use illegal add-ons - we don't. This it again some bullshit the piracy scene is spreading, because they want everybody to switch over to their FMC and because they tend not to read anything we say or don't use their brain while reading. We don't care if you go to prison or not - that's the users decision. As long as you are aware of where the content is coming from and in which legal situation you're in, do whatever you want. Just don't say Kodi = free movies and shit like that.
how about the xbmc name is that trademarked? can the youtubers use the xbmc name since you now changed it.

and can the youtubers sell their product as long as the software does not have your name so if they use hexedit and change kodi to something else it is ok?
It's not done with just a hexedit. But if they use their own brand/fork they can do what they want.but they should also have the courtesy to not use our add-on repo and clone that as well
i thought you was more concerned with the visible trademarks i.e. the name and logo?

what is addon repo? is that linking to your repository and cloning your repository right down to the look and layout and graphics?
using their own brand means that they a) change all Kodi related artwork like logo etc and b) change the application name itself. And yes, trademark confusion is our main concern.

Cloning the repo doesn't mean they should create a copy of our website and yet again trick people by looking the same as our website, but that they should host their very own add-on repository and not use our servers/infrastructure or API keys of certain add-ons.

If you think about it for a second - would you be happy, if people, making money with the work you give away for free, not even have the guts to maintain and pay for their own server infrastructure and thus even misuse the donations to your project to have an even bigger revenue? Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly fine with people making money with Kodi, it would just be nice if they did it in a somewhat fair way. Companies like Pivos showed how to do it in the correct way (rebrand, take over support responsibility for their fork, host their own add-on repository, using their own API keys), but leeches making money on the cost of others just suck, don't you think? The least they could do is contribute to the project they are making money with. Now you might say, making Kodi more popular is a form of contribution, and yes, it is, but not if it's done in a way that is totally against the projects ethics and even violating their trademark. The project needs developers to stay alive, not users, as users don't fix bugs or improve the software. We're not making any money with this project and don't intend to, so it doesn't matter how many users we have, especially if those users have no idea of what Kodi is and won't ever contribute in any form to it. We're looking for users that become part of the community and share our spirit. That's at least my personal opinion.
i hope you succeed repairing your reputation and brand

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
suggestion:0