Req tweaking song queue logic
There is a deal breaking issue with audio library when it contains a few thousands tracks. If you go to music/songs and select some track to play kodi will be busy for some seconds (depending on the hardware and library size) populating a song queue with ALL of the library tracks. More details here and here.

I think it's kinda useless thing to build such a queue when you selected a particular track out of all library especially when it's very large and considering such issue exists.

Apart from fixing the issue itself I propose to:
  • add an option to disable creating of the queue
  • add an option to set amount of the items in the queue (and build next queue portion when last track is played?)

I guess such thing as 'queue' exists when you play a track in other modes or in a playlist? If yes then probably first proposition should be valid for songs only mode. If second opposition is implemented then first doesn't make much sense.
I always thought there was no point in a "Songs" node, its just a list of all tracks. How on earth are you supposed to browse that?

Why not use the Artist >> Album nodes to browse your music? This method of navigation seems much more logical.

I'd have the same argument for removing the Albums node, totally pointless in my opinion.
My point is that if there is a possibility to browse songs, it shouldn't just freeze for seconds (or minutes for even larger libraries) when you went there and started a track.
Do have the play next song automatically enabled? if so then that's why the queue is generated.
Some people like to enable shuffle mode and play random songs, which these options might break.

However playing one song from a library of 10,000 tracks causes 10,000 OnAdd notifications to be spewed out to the (debug) log, and to one or potentially more connected smart devices (typically over WiFi), which is pretty crazy overhead that can result in considerable delay on lower powered devices.

Not playing songs from the songs node is the only way to avoid this overhead right now. Populating the queue progressively (eg. an initial 20 tracks, then add one new track as each track ends?) would be an idea, but may not be possible in shuffle mode (personally, that would be acceptable for me...)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2016-02-17, 11:56)jjd-uk Wrote: Do have the play next song automatically enabled? if so then that's why the queue is generated.

Maybe don't generate the entire queue from the songs node, unless shuffle is enabled? I'd want to play the next song in an album, but probably not in the songs node.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
You could build queue portion taking shuffle into account. To add N new songs you select them randomly from all songs (except the ones played during previous portions) and play one after other.
As an avid Raspberry Pi user, I can say this is a problem on these devices. So whatever the solution you brilliant guys come up with: very welcome!
@bartmans: what is your use-case? Why are you playing from the songs node rather than, say, albums?
(2016-02-17, 14:31)Milhouse Wrote: Populating the queue progressively (eg. an initial 20 tracks, then add one new track as each track ends?) would be an idea, but may not be possible in shuffle mode (personally, that would be acceptable for me...)

Isn't that what party mode does?
Never used party mode... I'm obviously not that sociable. Smile
What I don't like is that if I choose to see al my songs, lots of them start with the tracknumber, instead of just "song name - artist", which makes it unbrowsable for me.
What version are you currently using? as there's been a lot of music improvements for v16, so you should maybe try it if you're on v15 or older.
I use krypton builds
(2016-02-17, 23:35)jjd-uk Wrote: What version are you currently using? as there's been a lot of music improvements for v16, so you should maybe try it if you're on v15 or older.

15 Isengard. I'm waiting for Jarvis.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
tweaking song queue logic0