• 7(current)
Raspberry pi3 release soon ?
1. you can probably get away with 2.1A, but it depends on what you attach and how.
Depends on the case - the OSMC forums have a thread discussing the difference in the lock arrangements for the micro-SD card, and consequent impact on design of suitable case.
2.there is some evidence that you can just move the card across - but it depends on how you're going to use it. Not sure that the NOOBS version is up-to-date enough, but a stock direct install should be OK
Derek
(2016-03-04, 09:57)dandnsmith Wrote: Depends on the case - the OSMC forums have a thread discussing the difference in the lock arrangements for the micro-SD card, and consequent impact on design of suitable case.

I've got a couple of FLIRC cases, which are great but they do have issues with the Pi3:

Cons:

1) the SD card is difficult to remove unless you attach a strip of sticky tape
2) the new location of the power/activity lights means they're no longer visible
3) I guess the aluminium case could potentially impede WiFi/BT, but it seems to be working OK

Pro:

1) Built-in heatsink - never yet had the RPi3 throttle on me

(2016-03-04, 09:57)dandnsmith Wrote: 2.there is some evidence that you can just move the card across - but it depends on how you're going to use it. Not sure that the NOOBS version is up-to-date enough, but a stock direct install should be OK

As long as you have current firmware it should be possible to move the card back and forth between RPi2 and RPi3.

Since different config settings may be used for RPi2 and RPi3, in config.txt it's possible to add "sections" so that the RPi2 and RPi3 automatically use different configurations, eg.:
Code:
[all]
gpu_mem=320

disable_overscan=1
hdmi_pixel_encoding=2

dtoverlay=sdtweak,overclock_50=100

decode_MPG2=0xf9b2627b,0x302327ff
decode_WVC1=0x2e08e90f,0xf191ab33

[pi2]
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=400
over_voltage=4
force_turbo=1

sdram_freq=600
over_voltage_sdram=5
sdram_schmoo=0x02000020

[pi3]
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=400
sdram_freq=500
force_turbo=1

The "[all]" section specifies the configuration that applies to all devices.

On top of that, the "[pi2]" section only applies when booting an RPi2, and "[pi3]" when booting an RPi3.

You can also use the serial number, eg. "[0x95764cc7]" so that a specific device loads specific settings.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2016-03-04, 09:57)dandnsmith Wrote: 1. you can probably get away with 2.1A, but it depends on what you attach and how.
Depends on the case - the OSMC forums have a thread discussing the difference in the lock arrangements for the micro-SD card, and consequent impact on design of suitable case.
2.there is some evidence that you can just move the card across - but it depends on how you're going to use it. Not sure that the NOOBS version is up-to-date enough, but a stock direct install should be OK

Very great info................. otherwise i have found some friends and i thinks i can sell out my "old" Pi2 kit for about 40€ Smile I have check online and for a newest complete kit of pi3 i need about 80€ (complete kit by power supply 16gb sd and case)...........
...only on your "little world" can you lay down the law...
I got a chuckle out of your statements Milhouse. As I was setting up my Pi3 in the Flirc case my mood was like this is great. I then inserted the SD card and realized "they took out the damn spring mechanism...this is going to be a pain in the ass!" Oh well hopefully its solid enough I don't have to deal with it too much, as a developer as yourself I would go nuts. The positive thing is like you I have yet to see it throttle in the case. I was monitoring temps last night playing a full bdrip of Transformers and the CPU maxed around 49C for the entire move while always running at 1.2Ghz.
(2016-03-05, 14:26)sarcoptic Wrote: I got a chuckle out of your statements Milhouse. As I was setting up my Pi3 in the Flirc case my mood was like this is great. I then inserted the SD card and realized "they took out the damn spring mechanism...this is going to be a pain in the ass!" Oh well hopefully its solid enough I don't have to deal with it too much, as a developer as yourself I would go nuts. The positive thing is like you I have yet to see it throttle in the case. I was monitoring temps last night playing a full bdrip of Transformers and the CPU maxed around 49C for the entire move while always running at 1.2Ghz.

I've read a good suggestion to this issue, add a piece of tape to function as a pull tab http://botbench.com/blog/2013/10/29/ev3-...o-sd-card/
Any news on USB boot on pi 3 ?
(2016-05-11, 22:40)Jönke Wrote: Any news on USB boot on pi 3 ?

It will be announced as a blog post on https://www.raspberrypi.org/
I believe Gordon has it largely working, but there are some misbehaving devices (USB devices that are slow to enumerate may be an issue).
Other than that it's things like getting NOOBS to handle it and insert correct partuuid into cmdline.txt.
It's probably still some weeks away.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry pi3 release soon ?3