Apple TV 3 using Kodi possible?
(2020-03-24, 10:53)nevydyv Wrote: Resurrecting this thread, now that we have https://etasonatv.tihmstar.net  
After almost eight years that box eventually got its best feature Big Grin
(2020-03-24, 10:53)nevydyv Wrote: Finally an ATV3 jb!
Got Kodi 14.2 Helix installed the other day on my ATV3 (Apple TV 3 A1469). Installed it on the user partition to save system disk space by following instruction in another forum post.

Got my instructions from Reddit, they're correct but could use a rewrite for less adept users. For the jailbreak itself, use tihmstars instructions. It does not work on iOS 8.3.3 12H885 from March 2020 yet, but it is still possible to downgrade to iOS 8.3.3 12H876 from September 2019 (check your model!).

Kodi is installed using a remote terminal, whereby the default install path is within the system partition leaving few space left. Therefore, all applications are moved to the user partition and the original applications folder is symlinked to it. I don't know how good that approach is (there is no shutdown switch and even modern file systems don't really like that) but it works.
(2020-03-24, 10:53)nevydyv Wrote: Placed an mp4 movie (black and white, 720p) on the local disk space.
To get the playback speed to be stable (fps), I had to set the ATV3 TV Resolution to 720p - 50Hz and also disable the subtitles. With these mods, the movie played decently.

Will try that! As the ATV2 was only capable of 720p, the extended hardware acceleration on the ATV3 needs to be incorporated. I'd really like to use Kodi on that box and I don't require it to be the currentmost version, but unfortunately this branch of Kodi has been closed for understandable reasons.

However, the iOS version 17.6 is compatible to iOS 8.3.3 following the APT's package information (had to try using that one, without success). I'm not an apple developer and I'd expect giving that 14.2 release one more update or adapting the 17.6 release to support ATV3 to be anything but simple. It seems to me that ATV-iOS has moved a little towards iOS before tvOS was introduced, so some obstacles from earlier versions might be gone. The source branches for both the ATV2 version and the iOS 8 version are available - maybe someone will find some time to spare, because:

Kodi is an unmatched reference for media center software. Thanks to everyone participating!
avt3 os v7.5, kodi 14.2 periodically stack (1 time in 5-7 sec)
settings 720p-50Gz, hardware acceleration
can somebody solution? impossible to use (((((

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 3 using Kodi possible?1